Search

living in Netherlands for 4 months - best phone options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
living in Netherlands for 4 months - best phone options

Hi all --

I am looking for suggestions on phone options during a 4-month stay in the Netherlands. My current phone is a Blackberry Pearl on Verizon Wireless. It is not 3G so I can't just change the SIM card.

I will be taking classes in Rotterdam and (hopefully) traveling extensively to visit friends at other Universities (in France, Spain and Italy), so I need something that will not be too expensive for incoming or outgoing calls within Europe. I will have limited need for calls to/from the States (will probably mostly Skype).

I found RangeRoamer ( http://www.rangeroamer.com/ ), and was considering getting a dual SIM card phone from there, but don't know much about the service, and/or if that's the best option, and/or whether to buy/rent, and/or if it's best to do pre- or post-paid. I'm thinking trying to get the phone in hand and activated prior to going (in January) is better than wandering around Rotterdam trying to figure it out once I get there.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM

Why not buy a phone when you get here? You can get one with a pay as you go SIM for very little, and it will be fine for all of Europe. There are lots of telecom shops around what will be glad to help - try for an independent one rather than one of the providers shops though. Even somewhere like Albert Heijn (supermarket) or Hema have PAYG phones on sale.

Do you want data too? If not then your Blackberry will probably work fine with a new SIM if you can get it unlocked. It is worth checking on that.
Again buy the SIM here - it will be cheaper and give you European rates for calling friends in other countries.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM

i doubt if you understand much Dutch, so try and use Google to translate. It is not good but you will get a better idea of what has been written.
Here is a list of mobile phone services with more information.
http://www.james4you.nl/opzeggen/seg.../opzeggen.aspx
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:53 AM

That is a list of letters to cancel your phone subscription !
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM

Just get yourself a GSM phone when you're here. A simple Nokia 1616 for example costs €25 and that includes a €10 prepaid credit. Your BB most probably doesn't support GSM, if so you won't be able to use it here anyway.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

No, my BB definitely does not support GSM, unfortunately. I don't necessarily need a data plan, so I'm okay with phone and text messages only.

Okay, so I will wait til I get there to get a phone.

@ hetismij: Why an independent shop? Is the cost and/or quality of phone that different?

Also, how accessible is public wifi? I am thinking of bringing an iTouch with me, to check e-mail, directions, etc. I use Boingo in the US but am not sure if it has that great coverage there.

Thx!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:11 PM

yep wrong link
http://www.james4you.nl/aanbiedingen...biedingen.aspx
When using a foreign service you will find the SIM card will connect to the best signal to give you constant coverage. You bills will be expensive so check how much you pay for roaming in Europe before you use Boinggo.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thx so much everyone for the help.

One more question -- Is there a store inside the Amsterdam airport where I can buy a phone as soon as I get in? I think I read that there's a Nokia store in the airport -- I assume the sell phones but do they also activate them and/or sell prepaid cards? Or is there somewhere else? I read about a couple rental places, but being there for so long it doesn't make sense to rent.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Nina, where are you staying? I would go hetismij & lonely traveler and suggest you wait and get a cheap phone and sim card from an independent shop (they are all over). At Schiphol you are likely to get a more expensive model/plan. I noticed the Airport Telecom Shop site is only in Dutch & doesn't mention prices. Never a good sign IMO!

The Phone House is one of those independent shops who sell sims for various providers and often have special offers.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 02:28 AM

Oops just saw you said Rotterdam - I'm not that familiar with the city but in the busy centre you will certainly find a number of possibilities in your first 24hrs. Just make sure they know you need European roaming.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks lizjc!