LIVE TO EAT?

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
rob

LIVE TO EAT?

Saw a comment in an old thread about the difference between those to live to eat on vacations and those who eat to live...Which one are you? I am a LIVE TO EAT, one of the best things about travel to me is the food!

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
xxx

Eat to live. Very picky eater, prefer plain bread, fruits, veggies, all of which are available at local markets. No meat (blech), no dairy (double blech, cow mucus). Have never visited a restaurant while in Europe and don't feel I've missed anything. Consider food as fuel for the body, nothing else. Sometimes wish I could enjoy it as others do, but have to admit that my slim frame suits me just fine.

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:25 AM
David

Food, food, food, food, FOOD!! I'm a live to eat and, unfortunately, my waist line shows it.

In fact, I use "lonely planet" for budget hotel recommendations so that I can afford the restaurant recommendations in Fodor's.

One of my friends said it nicely last weekend. "Who cares what your hotel looks like when your eyes are closed as you blissfully sleep, but that cheap meal is gonna keep you up for hours looking at that tacky room."

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Sue

Live to eat, definitely! My husband and I always identified places we had been by what we ate there. "Remember X?" "Oh, yeah, that's where we had the great xxxx!"

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:50 AM
meateater

I live to eat. Man was made to be a meat eater. Didi you ever have a look at those who graze on greens and beans? They look so unhappy and pale. Live it up, eat a cow.

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Food Dude

How could you possible go to France and not eat Lamb? How can you go to Sweeden and not eat Reindeer? How do you go to Germany and not dine on pig? How do I survive Italy with eating cow? Have you ever had euro yogurt? mmmmm....... What the hell is cow mucus?

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Danna

Rob... we live to eat. During our last European vacation we had two fabulous evening meals, then bought cheese, fruit, bread and wine to take to our guesthouse or b&b for the third... we try moderation occasionally! Every meal is documented in our travel diary and in our memories.

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Therese

Live to eat, no question.

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:01 PM
mt

I made a promise to myself never to date a person who isn't impassioned about food. Food is such a wonderful intimate pleasure and a common bond among people. Sorry xxxx, but you have missed out. One can still enjoy eating well and be slim. I have one friend who eats to live - thinks chicken ceaser salad is the apex of cuisine - he's a neurotic conflicted mess.

Oh - and if you can't tell - live to eat

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Sue

Both...is that cheating?

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:26 PM
saluki

mt,
If you're such a foodie, you ought to know that it is CAESAR salad, not "ceaser"!
I like a tasty snack as much as the next person, but GOD, what a bunch of gluttons we have here!

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:31 PM
xxx

Yes, gluttons who seem to feel the need to attack others who don't live to shovel food down their gullets. Sixty percent of Americans are overweight. Now we know why. It's food, not love.

Mar 29th, 2002, 01:36 PM
surgeon

All of you meat and dairy eaters will be the unhappy, pale ones after you undergo your quadruple bypasses. Presuming you survive your first heart attack, that is. Heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S., and it's diet related.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:01 PM
xxx

you only live once. be happy. eat cow.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:06 PM
mt

One doesn't pig out on well prepared food - it satisfies the body, soul and mind. Junk food on the other hand doesn't which explains why people eat so much of it. And since when does enjoying food mean you're a glutton or piggin out? It's about moderation.

Oh - and Saluki - you must be a "Grammarian Warrior: Grammarian usually has little to contribute to a discussion and possesses few effective weapons. To compensate, she will point out minor errors in spelling and grammar. Because of Grammarian's obvious weakness most Warriors ignore her."

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:11 PM
xxx

I am a live to eater, but I wish I was a eat to liver! I am always battling the temptation to eat too much wonderful food and I have a friend who drives me crazy, once when I was visiting her, we came home from sightseeing in the evening (I had been anticipating dinner all day) and she opened the fridge, pulled out some cottage cheese and said, Well, we can eat this with some crackers for dinner, OK? Of course, she is thin and I am tubby, but...gosh! cottage cheese for dinner on vacation?

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Patrick

I'm not sure that I live to eat, but I certainly do travel to eat -- or at least that's one of my greatest pleasures of travel -- enjoying the foods of other places. The most frustrating trip I ever took was a week long cruise through the lower Caribbean. Every day we'd wander through these islands and port cities smelling wonderful local foods, then at about 5 PM we'd have to return to the ship to eat the same steam table food you'd find at any decent hotel at home. I wanted to try all the exotic things the locals eat and instead I could choose between prime ribs or beef, filet mignon, chicken, or rack of lamb. And maybe for dessert they'd bring out a flaming Baked Alaska -- big treat!! Not.
There's not much I wouldn't try at least once when I'm traveling and I invariably like the smaller, local places in most European cities over the top rated places, which somehow generally remind me of great restaurants back home.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Skinny

Cottage cheese for dinner, my favorite! Mix in a little pineapple and it's even better.

Every person I know who insists upon eating a "real" dinner every night is overweight. Too many calories at the end of the day, when you have little opportunity to burn them off. You just sleep and pile on the pounds. Here's to fruit, crackers and cottage cheese for dinner! Yum.

Mar 29th, 2002, 03:40 PM
nmm

LIVE TO EAT, but on European vacations only. I diet a month before I go away this way if I gain anything it's back to my normal weight. Eat healthy when I return home =) I dream for a whole year of scones and clotted cream!

Mar 29th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Andy

Live TO EAT!, love it and makes me mad when I see cheapskates like Rick Steves telling me how to skip meals to save money.

Search this Thread