Search

LIVE! from Rome. Here I go again...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LIVE! from Rome. Here I go again...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartrome/

Hey everyone, as you know I usualy travel to Europe over the Thankgiving holiday (I hate turkey). For the past 2 years I have visited Paris and London and this year i wanted to go to a place that was warmer and had more pasta. So guess where I chose?

ROME!

This is only my second trip to Rome and I haven't been there for about 7 years. My trip starts on Saturday, November 18 from Newark Airport at about 7pm. This year I am flying Air France through Paris. This is the first time I haven't flown Lufthansa in 4 years! My return is on the dreaded Alitalia. I had no choice since I was using FF miles.

Well I am looking forward to some good eatin', shoppin' and seein'. You can read my posts and adventures LIVE! on my website.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartrome/

Check it out now, and BOOKMARK IT!

(In case you don't know me I usually post a lot about the food I am eating, gelato anyone?)
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

By the way if you want to see my original post about Rome from my 1999 trip to Rome look here...

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...rdab&fid=2

I was young back in 1999!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Hey Richard!

Have some melone gellato for me - and every other flavor you can get your hands on!

Looking forward to hearing what bella Roma is like during our US holiday.
Buon fortuna with the luggage, hope it arrive with you.

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Great Richard! Rome is my favorite city!

Your link to your old trip report is just a link to your screen name. You didn't right click perhaps?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM

In Rome, we stayed at the Hotel Due Torri a few years ago based on, I believe, your recommendation. We loved the hotel and its sumptuous breakfast (including chocolates). Any particular reason you chose another hotel this time?

Buon Viaggio!
Buon Appetito!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

oops here is my correct link to my 199 post.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...&tid=74946
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM

So Richard, give me the scoop on what the boot style is this fall/winter. My husband and I will be there in January.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you should eat at all of the restaurants from your 99 trip and see how the prices have changed.

Your 99 trip report had a post from Ed of Twenj and although his website link no longer works, someone has a link for an archive site where you can access all of his info and links.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Have a great trip! I look forward to your report to see if you have any new great restaurant finds that I can add to my list for my trip to Rome over Christmas. (Of course, I already have more than enough but am always looking for more. )
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

I actually put together a booklet of all the moderate restaurants I want to try which includes google maps of all the locations. I also made notes on hours, price range, who reviewed it and credit cards taken. Today I had it bound at Kinkos so its my own personal book.

Once I return I may make it available in PDF format.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM

I've never followed a 'live from anywhere' blog before, the closest thing I've gotten to following blogs is one on my local newspapers website about a reporter whose husband has just been sent to Iraq.

I must say that I'm loving this! I was on Richardab's blog several times today and feel like I've travelled myself!

I encourage everyone to follow along...nothing like a free trip to Rome, even if it is only on the pc!!

Happy Travels!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Thanks for posting! I am thinking of Rome for part of my next trip (it seems to be very popular here for those who've already been to Paris, London, Munich, etc.)
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I would have left a comment or tow on your blog, but couldn't figure out how to do it - so hope you check back here.

Thank you Richard - Great blog! Have a wonderful trip.

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Fantastic Richard! So enjoyable to read and love your style of writing.

Your reading glasses, oh the panic I am sure. I always take 2 pair of glasses plus 2 pair of prescription sunglasses. I had gone by train from the region of Veneto to Florence for 4 nights. I left a lot of items in Veneto. I only took one pair of glasses plus one pair of sunglasses. The very first night in Florence while getting ready for bed the lense fell out of my glasses. I almost stepped on the lense. I consequently had only the sunglasses, not fun in the evening when it is dark!

I can hardly wait for your blog tomorrow! BTW, the hotel you stayed at looks wonderful. Real small showers though, typical of so many hotel showers in Italy. Take care and have fun and thanks for sharing your time in Rome!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM

richard,

Reading your blog is starting to really get me excited for my trip to Rome in April. I've never read a live blog like this before and it's a lot of fun. Looking forward to more tomorrow.

-Bill
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Me too Bill, makes me wish I could run to SFO and jump on a plane to Rome right now!!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Glad to hear you like the Adriano. But for the price you're paying, considering it's low season by their own pricelist, you should be in a double for single use. Perhaps you should point this out to them and ask for a bigger room. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Hi Richard, I am following.... You sound like a fun traveler, enjoy Rome!
JenV
P.S. Tried to post a comment to the blog but couldn't..
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Hi, Richard, am enjoying your blog. We also love Rome and enjoyed Ostia Antica.

One thing about Ostia: As of a year ago, there were no guided tours and no headphones in English. This was the same as when I visited several years ago, so I'm guessing that's a permanent condition. If you have a decent guidebook, take it with you. The place is huge. If you have Rick Steves' Rome, take that one. It really explained the the guilds, how to find the 18-person toilet, etc.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ciao Richard!

Great blogs and a great style of writing. Very enjoyable.

Agree with your gelato experience at the Trevi fountain. We found the price was too high and the quality lacking.

Enjoy busy, hectic, awe-inspiring, historical, crazy Rome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -