Search

Lisbon - Sintra

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:56 AM
D

Lisbon - Sintra

Will be in Lisbon on a Sunday afternoon and the whole day Monday. <BR>From what I have noticed most people suggest going to Sintra, seeing Pena Castle, Castelo dos Mouros and National Palce. I then figured we could go by National Palace Queluz.<BR>Then spend Monday touring Lisbon and see Castelo de Sao Jorge.<BR><BR>What is the easiest way to get to Sintra from the Ritz Four Season in Lisbon?

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Amy

I was just in Lisbon last month! To get to Sintra, just take a train from The Rossio train station...they leave about every 30 minutes. You will have to walk down the Av. Da Liberdade from your hotel and the Rossio train station is in the Rossio square.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
m

Hello. <BR>the easiest way is. Take the subway to Restauradores, then take the train heading to Sintra. It´s very easy.<BR>Why do people suggest Sintra ? it´s because Sintra is really a nice place to visit. There castles, nice parks, and a quiet atmosphere. <BR>Also in Sintra, try the cakes in a small delicatessen named Periquita. <BR>Take a sweater (just in case) because normally Sintra is fresher than Lisbon.<BR>Since you're staying little time, you can also use the second day, to do a quick tour for the S&atilde;o Jorge castle, and take the tram in Pra&ccedil;a da Figueira (nº15) and go to Bel&eacute;m.<BR><BR><BR><BR>almost all the answers in one place...<BR>www.tourist-in-portugal.web.pt

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:28 PM
steve

You can also easily get a cab for a day and for what I felt wasa reasonable sum, take you to all these places. If you go to Castelo dos Mouros and Castelo de Sao Jorge there is a lot of steep uphill walking without a taxi...tours buses do not make the drive to the entrance to Castelo de Sao Jorge...Loved Sintra.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Kris

The trainf from Rossio station was very easy to take. After you get off the train, there is a bus that goes to all of the sites in Sintra. You buy an all day pass and it stops at the National Palace, Pena Palace and El Morro. At the Pena Palace, there is also another tram that takes you further up the hill.<BR><BR>After visiting Sintra, we stopped in Quelez at the palace. Ask at the train station in Sintra which stop it is because I think there were two for Quelez. From the train station to the palace it's a non-strenuous 15 minute walk, ask one of the locals to point you in the right direction as there aren't any signs.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Doug

Thanks for your responses.<BR><BR>I am traveling with mostly seniors, some that might have trouble walking great distances, does a taxi get you closer to Pena Palace than the tram ?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Amy

The tram is actually on the grounds of the Pena Palace, so I'd guess it probably takes you closer than a cab would be allowed to. The public transport bus goes right around to the castles, but the cabs might be a better bet from the station, as it's a bit of a walk from the train station up to the old town, even. Sintra is quite lovely and will probably take your full afternoon, at least; Queluz might be pushing it a bit for just half a day. The handmade dolls available in Sintra National Palace Square (wandering vendors) are terrific souvenirs!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Davidx

It is possible to add to the Sintra trip by getting a bus to Cascais and a train back to Lisbon from there - looking out at Belem floodlit on the way - trains cheap and very frequent on this line too.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:18 AM
m

Important note: The palace of Moserrate, is closed for maintenance, so you can't visit it, and the gardens have very little accessibilities for handicaped persons.It´s for sure not advisable to go there, with handicaped people.<BR>Check this page, that might interest you.<BR>www.parquesdesintra.pt<BR><BR>have fun.<BR><BR><BR><BR>""prepare your holidays...www.tourist-in-portugal.web.pt""<BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Kristen

Have been to Sintra twice now and love it. Pena Palace is one of my favorite places, but on my last visit we happened upon the Convent of the Cork (Convento dos Capuchos...I'm sure I just hacked the spelling in Portugese). If you have a chance, ask a taxi to take you to the convent...it's gorgeous.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Georgine

I don't believe you can fit in Pena Palace, Castelo dos Mouros and the National Palace in Sintra in a Sunday afternoon---Especially, if your group consists of mainly seniors. <BR><BR>Sintra is crowded on weekends and there will probably be some wait time involved getting into the National and Pena Palaces. <BR><BR>Just the walk from the highway to the encircling walls of Castelo dos Mouros that overlook Sintra is a good 15 minutes in each direction --without any time exploring the battlements. This maybe too strenuous for many seniors. Once you walk down to the battlements, it's all flights of steps up and down to see the views. Then you still have the walk back up to the highway. (There is no access beyond the main highway by taxi.)<BR><BR>You can save some time if you use taxi service from Sintra rail station to the town and then up the mountain to Pena. At that point , you will still have to wait in line to take the "trolley" up the rest of the mountain to the Palace.<BR><BR>I think you are trying to fit in too much in too few hours.<BR><BR>If you need to eliminate something, skip the National Palace at Queluz. Although the gardens are beautiful, the palace itself is in poor condition, plus it is located in a rather unattractive section of the city. Unless you are going to take a taxi from th Queluz station, it will be a 15 minute walk downhill and then 15 more back uphill.<BR><BR>The Castelo de Sao Jorge would also be best visited by taxi if you are traveling with seniors---at least the trip up and then, if time allows, you can explore the Alfama walking downhill toward the Cathedral.