Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lisbon Hotels We're Considering-Any thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching multiple hotels listed in tour books, trip advisor and messages posted here, I've narrowed choices to the ones listed below. All can be booked online, are no more than $160 US, serve breakfast and are either centrally located and/or have views.

Albergaria da Senhora do Monte 129.2
Dom Carlos Park 119.68
Florescente 88
Lisboa Plaza 163.2
Metropole 160
VIP Eden(studio) 122.4
York House (Lapa?) 163.2

I'm leaning towards VIP Eden (studio), great views from rooftop terrace where breakfast and drinks are served or Lisboa Plaza. Others seem nice too. Any thoughts on which/why to pick?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM

We stayed in the Dom Carlos Park and were very satisfied. Good location, large rooms, modern bathrooms, helpful front desk staff.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM

I found I needed a car to get around Lisbon properly so I didn't stay in town. A day there was sufficient for me. Try :

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budge...en-ci-698.html
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lisbon has a very efficient und affordable public transportation. You do not need a car to see Lisbon.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM

I agree with schuler. We spent two days in Lisbon, would have liked more, but found public transportation very easy to use.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We weren't planning to use a car in Lisbon. Any feedback on hotel choices?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I don't know the others, but I just spent 5 nights at Albergaria da Senhora do Monte. I liked it. It's modern, with comfortable, functional rooms with great views of Lisbon (ask for a view room). The staff was very helpful. The breakfast was pretty unremarkable but the rooftop breakfast room has spectacular views of the city and at night serves as a bar where you can get a (slightly overpriced) drink and enjoy the view inside or out on the terrace.

If you don't like a lot of uphill walking, it's a little out of the way up in the Graca district. You can get there by the #28 tram. This is the tram that's recommended to tourists and quite fun to see the city, but as a means of transport up the hill to the hotel got tiresome since it's so crowded and slow. It's easy to walk down the hill to the metro. I never figured out the buses to the area though I saw some. In retrospect, I should have asked at the hotel. Taxis are pretty cheap, no more than 5-6 euros back to the hotel from most anywhere in town, often less. I liked the neighborhood, quiet, non-touristy, old and a bit rundown but felt safe. The hotel is next to a beautiful miradoura where you can look over the city.

The only other problem with the location for me was that, at least according to the hotel staff, there were no internet cafes nearby and the hotel did not provide internet access for the guests. All the other hotels I stayed at in Portugal had guest internet access or internet access nearby. I did find a small internet center near the Cathedral, though.

But all in all, I thought it was a nice place to stay and the price seemed reasonable for Lisbon.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM

We stayed at the Metropole. We loved the location because it is right at Rossio and buses/subways are at your fingertips. Also, the area abounds with cafes.

The breakfast was very good too.