Lisbon Day Trips What do you think

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Lisbon this March. We were thinking of staying here for 1 week. And doing day drips to Sintra, Obidas, and Elvora. Do you think that is a good idea.

Also if you had to pick one out of Nazare, Coimbtre, or Porto. Which place would it be. I know these places are too far for a day trip.

Think we will leave the Algrave area at this time of year. Although Rick Steves talks highly of Salema, and Talvira. (sorry for the spelling.)

What do you think of this itinerary.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:19 PM

I love to visit Algarve and nearby cities. Please share your experience in the cities your mentioned.
Cheers
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:10 AM

montrealvic writes: "Also if you had to pick one out of Nazare, Coimbtre, or Porto. Which place would it be. I know these places are too far for a day trip."

Check out www.cp.pt : Alfa's from Lisbon Oriente take about an hour to Coimbra and 2-hrs, 45 min. to Porto. There are several 'Fast food' outlets at Oriente Station; it depends on how long it takes you from your Hotel/Hostal to Oriente as to deciding what is a 'daytrip.'

I wouldn't recommend the Algarve in March
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM

For daytrips from Lisbon, I'd recommend (in order):
* Sintra, via the Rossio train
* Óbidos, via bus
* Évora (or devote another of your days to Lisbon)

Beyond Lisbon, I'd recommend:
* Coimbra (and Conímbriga)
* Porto, if you are a Port fan

Skip Algarve in March... but, for another trip, Tavira is lovely and perhaps the most romantic town in the Algarve. (Instead of Salema, visit one or more of the sandy coastal islands via the rustic foot-ferries from Olhão, near Tavira.)

Have a great trip!
debk
VisitingPortugal.com
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Montrealvic, I spent a week in Lisbon in 2007 and did two day trips. I didn't see anywhere whether you are intending to rent a car or travel by train but with children, I assume that you are probably thinking about a car - also you have mentioned places quite far away. We rented a car on the last two days and did the trips then before driving south. The first was to Fatima, Batalha, Alcobaca, Obidos and back. It was too much to do in one day but our driver wasn't keen on driving twice in the same direction . We never made it to Nazaré. You could choose either Batalha or Alcobaca, Obidos (recommended) and Nazare (for the kids). Altho it is probably too cold to swim, at least they can play a little in the sand, run around and look at the boats. The second trip was to Sintra (kids will like it. Take the little bus up once inside the grounds.) and then to Cabo da Roca, down the coast to Cascais and back.
Yes, skip Algarve and Porto as day trips.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:33 AM

Just to correct myself - when I mentioned Sintra, I was actually referring to a visit to the Palacio da Pena in Sintra and their bus to get up the hill. Of course, there are other things to see in Sintra as well but I think even kids would be enchanted by a visit to this place.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Also if you had to pick one out of Nazare, Coimbtre, or Porto" - Coimbra.

Nazare is now an over-touristy seaside place and I certainly wouldn't go there in March (Atlantic coast).
Coimbra has an interesting old town on a hill (reachable by elevator) with a university with one of the best libraries I've seen anywhere, plus Roman ruins in Conimbriga (accessible by bus) with working fountains.
Porto is great if you want to taste port.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM

I highly recommend Sintra as a day trip from Lisbon, so I'm glad you're planning that.

Coimbra is do-able as a day trip as well (see train info here: http://www.visitingeu.com/western-eu...o-coimbra.html).

Porto is a nice city, but it would be best if you could spend at least one night there since it is a bit farther away from Lisbon than Coimbra. If you wanted to combine your Coimbra trip with a trip to Porto, it would be easy. All trains from Lisbon to Porto stop in Coimbra, so you could get off in Coimbra for part of a day and then catch another train up to Porto.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Just booked our tickets. Will be in Lisbon for a total of 8 days. WE have decided to do 3 day trips. Sintra, Obidos, and Elvora.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Great choice.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 01:14 AM

If given a choice between the three, I would pick Sintra - hands down! It's a short rail ride from Lisbon. It may be rather cool in March as you'll be in the mountains. The palace on the mountain peak is outstanding and you can also walk the ramparts of the Castello dos Mouros. But watch you step, it's a bit hairy especially when the wind is gusting. Watch out for the touristy restaurants. Better to ask the locals where they eat. Obidos is a beautiful walled town, but go by bus - not train. The bus from lisbon takes you to Caldas da Rainha, and you'll transfer to the bus to Obidos which drops you off right in front of the portal into the town. The train doesn't let you off as close. Walk the ramparts of obidos and bring your camera.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're in Caldas da Rainha, don't miss the Ceramics Museum - http://www.visitportugal.com/NR/exer...,frameless.htm