What to do in Basel and around it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be travelling to Basel for a week. The first 3-3.5 days we will be busy at a conference but should have enough free time in between commitments to see Basel. The remaining 3-4 days are free to explore the surroundings. We are flying in and out of Zurich and the tickets are purchased already. We currently have all hotel days booked in Basel but may be able to change the last 3-4 nights if it's more convenient. That said, we'd rather not change it. We plan to visit Zurich and Lucerne. Anything else we can do that would be fun? We have already been to Geneva, Montreaux, Lausanne, Zermatt and Lugano on a previous trip. I would like to do Bernese Oberland and the Glacier or Bernina Express but that should be another trip with more time. For this one, we would like to stay close to Zurich due to limited time and have quality experience in the area. We do various activities on our trips, as long as it's fun. We do not plan to rent a car and will be using trains instead. Thank you very much.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:15 AM

What time of year?

I see that Lucerne and its lake are still missing from your list of places in Switzerland. That's always a worthwhile destination with lots of things to do, from outdoor activities like hiking, cycling or so over boat-/cable car rides to museums/sightseeing. It's so close to Zürich that you can even catch your flight after an overnight in Lucerne in many cases.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

End of June and beginning of July. We do have Lucerne in our plans. Do you think a long day trip would be enough?
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Europa Park, Rust. It's in Germany but it's a blast.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Lucerne. Anything else we can do that would be fun>

You could easily spend several days in Lucerne -not so much for the town itself - lovely but not very big and not that much to see or do in town itself - but do take the lake boats around the lake- use them to get to say Mt Rigi or Mt Pilatus or take the train to Engelberg, another of Switzerland's Alpine wonderlands.

For lots on trains in Switzerland and that area check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:44 PM

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/g...m-dornach.html

Into rudolph Steiner or Goethe - then check out the weird-looking Goetheanum just outside of Basel!

I've never been but some friends just went and they loved it - of course they are Rudolph Steiner freaks.
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. Is any part of Lake Constance also doable if move to a different location for the last day or two and still be close to Zurich for our flight out? If it deserves more time we will do it on a future trip.
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:30 AM

The Rhine Falls, a continuation of Lake Constance, is fairly close to Basel and is a popular site - take a train there or drive. Schlaffhausen near the falls is a nice nice Swiss city surrounded by Germany:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rhin...HYcGA1UQsAQIGw

Lake Constance is nice and Lindau is a fine fine old town sticking out into the lake.
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Colmar France is just a short enough train ride from Basel- a cute Alsace wine center - tours in town and a neat town with a Little Venice - great for a leisurely day.
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. We have been to Strasbourg and Colmar and some of the cute little villages in the area but wouldn't mind visiting again if there is time.

I have a question to you about trains, since you seem to know much about them. The prices on raileurope website seem high. I expect that trains in Switzerland are not cheap. However, is it better to purchase them on the spot or pre purchase or get a pass? I remember that for Italy, for example, the tickets were much cheaper if purchased there. Most importantly, the first train that we have to take from Zurich airport to Basel after our flight arrives, should it be prebooked or there is always availability? What's the most economical and reliable way to go? One problem is also that we do not have a fixed plan for side trips, which means we can't pre purchase most of the tickets.

We decided to spend the last 3 nights in Lucerne as it seems we may get bored in Basel after 4 nights.
Old May 17th, 2016, 11:28 PM

What I meant was that Lucerne is a place you have not visited yet, so I highly recommended it for this trip. Lucerne and the region around its lake could easily keep you busy for a whole week.

Kreuzlingen is a central town on Lake Constance from where direct trains run to Zürich airport. It is an ideal base for trips along the lake: Chateau Arenenberg, Stein am Rhein, Schaffhausen and island Reichenau in western direction, Konstanz is the neighbour right across the border in Germany, with possible excursion to island Mainau. You won't even have enough time for exploring the eastern part of the lake ...
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:00 AM

Re trains questions - no in Switzerland such sizable discounts are not usually available - just buy tickets at stations though you may want tocheck www.sbb.ch - Swiss rail's site to see - and yes there is ALWAYS availability on trains in Switzerland - absolutely - reservations are not required so you can always board trains even if full, unlikely from the airport where the train may begin.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:40 AM

One problem is also that we do not have a fixed plan for side trips, which means we can't pre purchase most of the tickets.>

If you're doing a lot of train trips look into the Half-Fare Card and or Swiss Pass but I doubt you are doing that much.