Search

Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon

Sort of planning a trip to Lisbon and have found Fodorites are much more help than multiple travel books!! Any suggestions for airlines from West Coast USA to Lisbon? I was looking at Air Portugal and learned nothing but discouraging facts about them! (I realise we will have to change in NY somewhere).. also, how much time should we allot for the "must-sees" in Lisbon? Thank you each and everyone!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM

We will be in Lisbon in Nov....about 4 weeks away. Lived there 30 yrs. ago for 2 yrs and are going back for the first time (though we have been back to the rest of Europe almost annually)....staying 4 days. It is a wonderful place ! OUr friends returned last month from a medical meeting and LOVED it. Other friends went last year and had nothing but good things to say.
Anyway...Air FRance goes to Paris and then you can make connections right to Lisbon. (perhaps you can do the same thing through either: London/British Airways. or Frankfurt/Lufthansa. Am sure all three have non stops from Los Angeles to Europe.
As to "must see's in Lisbon" that is a broad question....but you could see a LOT and experience a lot in 5 or 6 days, for sure.
WE will probably just drive around to the areas we remembered...where we lived etc,,but our friends stayed the week (6 days and saw MOST everything), and that included trips to Sintra and out the coast to Estoril and Cascais.

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:01 PM

We have just booked our flight to Lisbon. Flying SFO to London and London to Lisbon on British airways. It is a direct flight from London only 2 hours to Lisbon I used cheaptickets to get my flights. Iberia leaves from New York but stops in Madrid and you would have to get to NY which to me is too many plane transfers so that is why we booked United to London, London to Lisbon. Try the various cheap fare sites.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:10 PM
hsv

As for the airline: You might also consider a combination of American Airlines and Swiss connecting in Zurich. I seem to recall that flight duration from Zurich to Lisbon this summer was somewhat around 3 hours.

Lisbon is a beautiful city- and I would suggest that you allow for at least three, rather four to five days in order to see the sights of the city itself and its surrounding suburbs.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:12 PM

I am planning a trip to lisbon in November too. Any ideas on what the weather is like then?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM

moxie: I have forgotten after 30 years, but will look up my "diary" of notes made during the two years we lived there....and will post WHEN I find them. I imagine, however, it will be pretty cool, maybe a little rain, but certainly not too cold. Might be beautiful! Well, this isn't telling you much..... Later!
(perhaps there is web site that can give you some hint...OR info from the tourism office)
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Fodorites are WONDERFUL!! We tend to not route through SFO (from PHX) but LAX is "do-able" Sadly enough Lufthansa dropped their direct flight from PHX to Frankfurt - which was marvellous! Thanks to all.