Search

Lipari to Stromboli

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lipari to Stromboli

Hi-
I am going to the Aeolian islands for the first time over Memorial Day Weekend (we live in Sicily) and am planning on staying on Lipari for 2 nights. We would also like to spend one night on Stromboli in order to hike the volcano.

I was thinking that it would be easier if we could just take a trip to Stromboli, hike the volcano, and then come back to Lipari instead of having to change hotels. Does anyone know if there are companies that offer a trip like that? I want to do the hike at night, so wasn't sure if such a trip existed.

Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

There are ferries and fast craft from Lipari to Stromboli (www.siremar.it and www.usticalines.it amongst others).
Several firms also offer excursions from Lipari which include day trips, and evening cruises to view the eruptions (www.navigazioneregina.it for example). I don't think walking up the volcano in the dark is to be recommended.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:22 AM

If the above link to Navigazione Regina gives problems, try this one:
http://www.navigazioneregina.it/new/deu/index.asp
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM

I was on Lipari last week. I was there for a day and noticed while walking around that there were a handful of companies that offer excursions to Stromboli for the day.

They leave around 1300 and return around 2300. Some offered dinner and a hike up the vulcano with a guide. If you walk along the main street or down to the piazza near the water, you should find a company that runs these tours.

Gail
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Neopolitan

We did a day trip to Panarea and to Stromboli and returned to Lipari about midnight. The same excursion offered the opportunity to hike up the volcano with a guide. Yes, they go about sunset. A later boat (middle of the night, I guess) brings them back. Our boat stayed near Stromboli off shore after dark so we could see the "fireworks" of the volacano from the water. It was very impressive, but we chose not to do the night hike up.
Yes, you'll be able to find excursion boats to do either way once you're there.

Old May 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information!