Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Link to long trip report with photos: London, Jersey, Saint-Malo, British Ntl SF convention

Link to long trip report with photos: London, Jersey, Saint-Malo, British Ntl SF convention

Jan 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Keith

My March 2002 UK trip report is online at http://mightymac.org/gb24.htm

Warning it is 12 pages and over 100 photos.

Keith

Jan 24th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Granny

Wonderful report with great photos. Thanks for putting it together for us. Just one thing, I hope I'm not being a prude here, but perhaps if you were to remove just one of the photos, I would feel more comfortable in recommending your post to others. Just me being me. Thanks for sharing such a great trip.

Granny

Jan 24th, 2003, 07:30 PM
_Julie_

Keith - that was a wonderful trip report, I spent over an hour looking through it and wishing that I was back in London!

Jan 24th, 2003, 08:33 PM
jackie

Loved your trip report and the photos were great. Oh to be in England again.

Jan 25th, 2003, 03:01 AM
sfowler

Thanks for a wonderful report and SUPER pictures -- your eye for an image is terrific

Please let me know if you would like your page listed on the "fodorite" websites page reachable from http://fodorite.traveurope.net/

Jan 25th, 2003, 04:16 AM
therealbobbie

Wonderful trip report! You have a great eye...thoroughly enjoyed the photos and commentary, such a pleasure to see some of my favorite places in London again. I saw Noises Off in NYC and laughed so hard with tears running down my face. Thanks for the report!

Jan 25th, 2003, 04:46 AM
jenna

Thank you for a wonderful report. I am going to be in London this March and hope you could answer a few questions.

I notice there was quite a bit of green grass and flowers in your photos. Did you get the sense that it was spring? I mean, were there flowers all over or just a few? What kind of temperatures?
Were fountains going?

When you were in Westminster Abbey for evensong were you able to see much of the church. I know you can't go into the chapels but I was told you don't even get to see much of the main part of the church. Did you feel you got to see enough? Did you get to the cloisters or gardens? How long is the evensong service?

What kind of camera did you use?

Thanks again for a great trip report.

Jan 25th, 2003, 05:06 AM
jody

Keith,

I admit I haven't had time to read the whole report, but I just had to comment on the quality of your photos! Sensational!

Jan 25th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Keith

Wow, thank you for the nice comments. I wasn't sure but what the convention tacked onto the end would turn people off.

Granny, I bowed to your judgment.

Jenna, the weather in London at the end of March was extremely nice last year. It was spring like all over. There was never any rain on my trip and the trip down to Greenwich was the only time that it even got cloudy. The Ripper Walk on the first night was the only time it was cold. I had my hotel window open each night and carried my jacket much of the time during the middle of the days. Some fountains were going and some were not.

I didn't get to see very much of Westminster Abbey, though with the other churches I visited and since I was squeezing so much into the short trip, I was satisfied. I would tour the Abbey on another trip. The grounds were all open. The service was about 40 minutes.

My camera is a Casio QV8000SX, it only has 1.2 megapixels but has lots of features and an 8X optical zoom.

sfowler , please feel free to list those with the "fodorite" websites.

Keith

Jan 25th, 2003, 07:52 AM
sfowler

Done.

I'm also enjoying the Michigan pictures very much.

I hope you don't mind that I put one of your Greenland sots on my deaktop -- like I NEED a reminder of how cold it is here -- riiiiiight -- so take it as a high compliment!

Jan 25th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Kaneohe

Great report Keith! I'm planning for my trip to London in March (just a few weeks away...) A few questions for you:

What guide books did you use?

How much did you pay for your hotel?

Did you visit the HMS Belfast? Is it worht the time and money?

Are there any places you missed and wish you had been able to visit? Are there any places that you were disappointed in?

Thanks for the great report!
Aloha
Kaneohe

Jan 25th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Christy

I, too, was greatly impressed by your photographs... wonderfully done! I enjoyed your commentary, AND the convention (being a scifi fan myself). Can't wait for my trip this May!

Jan 25th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Ani

Keith-GREAT photos! We also went to the UK for the first time last March. Only spent 2 days in London...the rest in York, N. Wales and the Cotswolds. We are returning-this time to Scotland-this March.
If you are interested in the photos check out
www.panteravb.com and click on the UK photo link.

Jan 25th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Jim Tardio

Came just in time, Keith. I'm planning a trip to London and your photos provide a nice overview of some of the sites.
<p>
I'll read the whole thing when I've got more time.
<p>
The tiny room reminds me of National Lampoon's European Vacation.

Jan 25th, 2003, 11:19 AM
xxx

Thanks for the pictures , Keith.
The shot of your hotel room is really useful for people who have never been to London before.
When those of us who have been there mention 'small' rooms , now there is an actual sample of what'small' means.

Jan 27th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Keith

Kaneohe, I read several guide books including Fodors. The one I liked the best was Eyewitness Travel Guide to London. My room was 55 pounds/night, booked through worldres.com. Afraid I didn't tour the Belfast, just passed by it on the tour boat. My only disapointment was a couple of the London Walks, but I would still consider doing more walks with them.

Sfowler, It is fine for you to use my photo as wallpaper on your computer. I have been considering making several of my photos from that trip and the Mackinac Straits available for wallpaper or screen savers. If you wish, I could email a higher quality copy of the file.

Ani, thank for sharing your travel photos. I see we were also both in Las Vegas last year. I will be checking back for the pictures of your Scotland trip, since I am planing to visit there in 2006.

Keith

Jan 27th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed escaping from work to relive my London trip thru you!