Lindos worth the trip?

Apr 18th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Lindos worth the trip?

We will be in Rhodes one day (cruise port) The old town itself sounds so wonderful, I'm not sure whether it is worth it time and money-wise to hire a driver to go out to Lindos or to beaches. (we are not beach-loungers). If we go by public transportation, will it take up too much of the day in travel time? Any thoughts as to a good reason to get a driver?
Apr 19th, 2013, 01:05 AM

The walled city of Rhodos is a must. Count about 3 hrs for the visit (Knights Palace and fine archeological museum, walk through the scenic small lanes).
Lindos can easily be reached by bus (every 1 to 2 hrs; about 2hrs ride OW). Once at Lindos, count about 3 hrs for the walk (or donkey ride)trough the old center up to the Acropolis with the stunning Greek temple and back to the bus terminal (with some shop and photo stops).
Most popular big sandy beach south of Rhodos (all kinds of water sports): Faliraki, about 30 min by bus, frequent buses
Apr 19th, 2013, 07:24 AM

I wouldn't bother with Lindos if you only have one day.

Spend your day in the old town.

There is a very nice beach near the aquarium.

You can take a walk there.

Be sure to visit the Castle and the Street of Knights.

Be sure to visit ilias lalaounis jewellery shop at the bottom of Street of Knights.

Absolutely beautiful silver and gold jewellery.

Thin
Apr 19th, 2013, 08:26 AM

One day is enough to see the old city and the museum and the castle and also go to Lindos, which is a must see IMO.
The beach of Lindos is sandy and very nice, especially compared to the pebbly beach near the Aquarium....
Apr 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM

The problem with Lindos is that if there is a big cruise ship in port it will be absolutely jammed with people.
Apr 19th, 2013, 09:03 AM

I am sorry but the beach I went to near the aquarium was not at all full of pebbles.

I have photos to prove it.

Across from the beach there are 4 or 5 Deluxe
hotels.

I stayed at the 5-star Rodos Park Hotel as did Weadles who posts here.

It is just outside the Amboise Gate of the old town.

Thin, posting here for 13 years
Apr 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM

Lindos is a beautiful and picturesque with a sandy beach and quaint village. It would be too bad to miss it, but you definitely need a day to walk around the old section of Rhodes and visit the Palace. I can't imagine racing around to do both, but that's me.
Apr 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM

I think everything depends on what you prefer to so/see on your time ashore and on your traveling style...

I think one day is not enough to see what Rhodes Town has to offer....I guess depends on someone's interests, but I feel the great archeological museum in Rhodes Town gets often overlooked in favor of the Palace of Knights' Masters, which of course is very worthy too...
The Archeological one is actually hosted in what used to be the Knights' Hospitable, it is a nice building and has a pleasant small garden area where mosaics and other interesting stuff is t be seen, plus there are tiny fish ponds, trees and a few benches to get some rest. But my point is not this, its the collections their selves, which are very representative of many ears and civilisations of Rhodes and surroundings. I spent 3+ hours last time I was there and I felt it was not enough.
There is a modern art museum, a jewish museum, many mosques and churches and a synagogue, a clock tower that you can walk for aerial views through small frames and many other places of interest, plus you really need some time to walk around, stop for a snack, absoarb the ambiance...
Outside walled city, there a nice walk to Madraki harbur, the aquarium and plenty to keep you busy too.

Lindos is scenecic and its acropolis is an interesting site, but Rhodes Town actually has an ancient Acropolis too, located a couple of kms uphill on Monte Smith, that not so many people seem to be aware of...

Personaly I would save Lindos for an other time...
Apr 20th, 2013, 09:47 AM

PS: Excuse the typos, I wish there was an edit button ...