Reload this Page >

Lincoln, England?

Search

Lincoln, England?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 10:03 AM
JC

Lincoln, England?

Has anyone visited Lincoln? I heard it is a good <BR>alternative to York. I would like to know if it is worthwhile for a day trip.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 10:53 AM
kam

Here's half an answer. Lincoln is a fascinating little city about 2 hour train ride from Kings Cross in London. We did it as a daytrip from London. The bishops of Lincoln were very powerful in Medieval times and Lincoln is dominated by its cathedral--a fantastic one. Have lunch at the Jew's House Restaurant--very historic. Now, the other half of the question--I've never been to York, much to the chagrin of all my English friends. I think from what I've heard though that there's more to see in York than Lincoln--they're not too far apart--how about seeing both? If you must choose one, I think I would want to go to York, but then that's because I've never been before!! Sorry, not much help. <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:15 AM
erica

Well, I've dragged up a really old question. But there's precious little about Lincoln on this board. Anyone have any new insights? How crowded will Lincoln be in summer? I am not good in crowds. Would staying in Lincoln and taking a few day trips to York and Durham be a way of avoiding some of the crowds in July?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 11:29 AM
Patrick

It's been about 10 years for me, but doubt if it's changed that much. Lincoln was a very interesting town, but hardly an alternative to York. I agree with above, perhaps do both, but certainly don't substitute Lincoln for York. I remember booking a room at a nice hotel called the White Hart and requesting a room with cathedral view. When we got to the room and opened the window I gasped. The cathedral is huge and practically attacked me right through the window. We had arranged our schedule to be there the day the famous boys' choir sings evensong. We went at the appropriate time to find they were out on tour that week -- so much for that idea. I also remember a very interesting prison we toured with a chapel that was like rows of individual cells so that prisoners couldn't have any sight or contact with anyone but the minister. The central part of the town was fun and bustling, less touristy than York and very "picturesque" and interesting.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:01 PM
rand

We went to both back to back last Sept. Arived Lincoln @4:30 on a Saturday,found a b&b near the upper level and checked in. Ten minute walk back to the 'main street' to find a pub for dinner. The place was empty of tourists. Next morning we saw the castle. By the time we were out the area was packed with tourists. Not an American voice to be heard. We walked down the hill (and it is a very steep hill) to the river and looked around. We bought lunch supplies at M&S and ate while sitting on a park bench. We walked back uphill(and it is a very steep hill...get my point?) and visited the abbey next to the cathedral. Next we walked to the roman gate. After that we walked to the cathedral to look around. By now it was empty of tourists. We ate dinner at a 14th century pub converted to restaurant. We walked back to the cathedral to see it lit up at night. The next morning we drove to York.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:12 PM
rand

We arrived at York early afternoon. I had a hilarious driving experience driving in the town trying not to hit anyone while looking for a parking lot. I saw cliffords tower and a parking lot. Yay. I parked and we walked through the shambles to the TI near the cathedral. We booked a b&b and walked back and drove to check in. We were about 6 blocks outside the walls along the river. We walked the walls and toured the Yorvik Viking Centre. The next day we visited the cathedral, the shambles and the castle museum. The next day we were off. I know this sounds more like a travelogue than an answer, but I thought it might give you an idea of how much there is to see.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:54 PM
Patrick

Yikes, I didn't realize how old the original post was when I first responded, but more to the point for Erica is this personal thought. It is always a mistake to try to avoid the crowds by staying somewhere else and going to the "crowded" place for a day trip. It is crowded with people doing exactly that. If instead you stay in York which is indeed busy, you will feel that the best time will be in the evenings when most of those crowds disappear. So why fight the onslaught of crowds coming into the city and leaving the city with you and miss the best time there? This is exactly what I always say about a few of my other favorite places -- Capri and San Gimangano for example. If you hate crowds then don't join the day trip crowds. Stay over and if anything leave during the busy part of the day to go elsewhere. Same here, stay in York and go to Lincoln for the day, not the other way round.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:19 PM
erica

I should explain that Lincoln is my chosen destination. It is the place I am most interested in seeing. I like medieval history and have a special interest in Katherine Swynford who is buried at Lincoln Cathedral. I could easily make it my only destination (other than London because of my flight). <BR> <BR>But, I figure if I'm going up that way I should see York (and maybe Durham). I agree, now that I think about it, that I would be better off spending the night in those places if I want to see them at their calmest hours. <BR> <BR>Why is Lincoln hardly an alternative to York? I know York is much better known. I'd love to see the Minster and walk the walls. What else does York have over Lincoln? It may be a bias on my part (I've always taken the Lancastrian side in the War of Roses). How does Durham compare?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 03:57 PM
KT

I know that this will sound like heresy, but personally I wasn't all that insane about the feel of York. A bit too glossy, too "heritaged-up" for me. In a way, I enjoyed Durham more, even thought there is far less to see there.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:07 PM
KT

Whoops -- I meant my post to be a bit more informative, but I hit "Post MY Reply" too soon. Anyway....Durham Cathedral is really wonderful if you like Norman architecture, and because it's not Gothic, it certainly wouldn't be repetitive to see both it and York Minster. Durham Cathedral's setting is quite dramatic, too, and I you can have a very nice walk along the bend in the river. There's also a good museum of Asian art at the University, though I guess that doesn't fit in with your medieval history theme! The city itself definitely can't compare with York, but as I said, for some people that's not entirely negative. I haven't been to Lincoln (though I'd like to), so I can't compare it.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 11:05 PM
Jane

Erica, <BR> <BR>Not a travel answer I know, but.....I visited Lincoln for the exact same reason as you! I presume you have read "Katherine" by Anya Seton. I am a fan of hers, so 'had' to visit Lincoln as I passed by. It was a while ago butI remember the sarcophogus (sp?) well. I also remember the prison that Patrick writes about as facinating.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:28 AM
erica

KT: thanks! I can relate to your heresy. On my first trip to England I visited both Winchester and Bath. I much preferred Winchester, seemed more real. Bath was almost too pretty. Everyone thinks I'm insane to think so. <BR> <BR>Jane: Yay! It's good to know I'm not the only Katherine-head out there. One of the reasons I would like to visit Lincoln is to look at a copy of a biography booklet written about her. I've tried every avenue I can think of to buy it, but with no luck. The Lincoln library has several copies (amazing what you can find on the web) and I'm hoping to make a copy while I'm there. <BR> <BR>From the research I've done so far, I was planning on leaning more heavily towards Durham and Lincoln. You've all given me the courage to follow my instincts despite the prevailing "must see York" opinion. If I have time, I'll visit York, but not for long. Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead! <BR> <BR>Any advice on where to stay?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 10:44 AM
rand

Erica, this is where we stayed in Lincoln. The Orchard house. Ten minute walk from the castle. I highly recommend it. <BR>http://www.theaa.com/hotels/104345.html <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:50 PM
lisa

hiya jc...i have been to both york and lincoln...and enjoyed them both. the day trip to lincoln was specifically to see the cathederal and kathryn swynfords tomb. the city was quite lovely...very different from york..less touristy...we found a great pub called the crown and mitre..had the best bangers and mash i ever tasted!.. <BR>we chose to take a taxi up the hill and then walk down..there were some great shops along the way.well worth your time. <BR>have a great trip!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:00 PM
wendy

I went to Lincoln planning just to see the Cathedral and the Castle (Nice exhibit of the Magna Carta) but I ended up staying for four days - I threw in a day trip to Nottingham. I think a couple of days there is well worth your time.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:54 AM
erica

Thanks everyone. You guys rock. I looked up the Orchard House and it looks great. <BR> <BR>Wendy: what can you tell me about Nottingham? How far is it? I will not have a car, can you get there by train or bus? <BR> <BR>Thanks again to everyone!