Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Limit on # rolls of film taken into Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 1999, 06:50 AM
Betty

Does anyone know if there's a limit on the number of rolls of film that can be taken into Italy. Getting ready for a trip there this fall and it's really informative reading everyone's postings. Thanks to all! <BR> <BR>

Old May 12th, 1999, 08:03 AM
John

As far as I know there is none unless you are planning on re-selling them over there!

Old May 12th, 1999, 09:12 AM
Howard

Yes there is--each person is allowed to bring two cameras and 10 rolls of film for each camera. What I plan to do is bring along three cheap, cheap cameras (the kind you can buy from most credit card companies for $2.98), so that between my wife and me, we can bring 40 rolls. <BR>I can also refer you to a helpful website (f-stop.org) which gives solid advice about the affects of xray machines on film and what to do about it. <BR>I checked with the Italian Tourist Office in New York and was told that Italian customs often does check. I was told you can probably get away with with more than the minimum by not packing all the film together! I don't want to take that chance, so I'll take the 3 extra cameras, which won't take up much space in my luggage.

Old May 12th, 1999, 10:38 AM
Dawn

Betty, My husband and I travel to italy every year, and pretty much bring a roll for each day, sometimes up to 30, we've never had a problem. Last year we bought a few of the disposable cameras, we got them from the Price Club for relatively cheap, they come with flash and without. I wouldn't keep all the film in one place.

Old May 12th, 1999, 03:54 PM
jennifer

We brought about 25 rolls for my husband & i and never had a problem BUT, BELIEVE IT OR NOT film was less expensive there than here (unless you purchase in bulk from a discount store!) so I wouldn't worry if you run out...we took 15 rolls of film in 14 days and cam home with the rest, better not to carry excess stuff if you don't have to.

Old May 12th, 1999, 11:44 PM
Joanna

I had about 28 rolls for 2 cameras and bought more when I was there. No problems at customs or anywhere - Italy is so photogenic!

Old May 13th, 1999, 03:29 AM
Stellarossa

Never in my life have I been checked for numbers of rolls of film whilst entering or exiting Italy (or anywhere in Europe for that matter). I always found the customs guys are far more interested in the leggy blondes just off the plane rather than you. Advice: walk behind a leggy blonde. <BR> <BR>Secondy this posting puts me in mind of the other one about numbers of films consumed by Americans during the average European vacation. I was and am astonished at how many you lot waste by taking 17 weedy pictures of the Pisa Tower, all from a slightly different angle. <BR> <BR>Perhaps it is to do with the cost of films and relative socio-economic set-up of America compared to Europe because you lot seem hell bent on wasting film on anything. Almost as bad as the Japanese. I once saw this Jap guy taking stills and video of a garage door in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It was a plain garage door! I made a mental note to be out when he phoned me and asked me to go to his slideshow in Nagasaki.

Old May 13th, 1999, 08:24 AM
Howard

Re: my earlier comment about 2 cameras and 10 rolls each. I agree (as does the Italian Tourist Office in New York)that you are likely not to have any problems. I'm just pointing out that "officially" it is the law. Whether customs officials choose to enforce it is something else!

Old May 13th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Robin

Returned from Italy 2 weeks ago and didn't have any problems with the number of rolls of film I took with me (for the record, 2 disposable cameras - great for taking panoramic shots, and 12 rolls of film). Actually I do agree with a previous poster that the film prices are not much different there than what I paid in the States. Altho I pack my film in one of those protective bags (bought mine thru Travel Smith catalog), I still find myself wondering if all that x-raying is damaging to the film. For my next European jaunt, I may bring fewer rolls with me and just buy film over there as I need it. <BR> <BR>And with regards to 'Stellarosa' and the American penchant for photos - YES, I plead GUILTY. I like to take LOTS OF PICS (altho I haven't yet made it to Pisa). And should our paths ever cross, be forewarned - I'll be dragging out my photo albums and force you to relive my European expeditions!!! <BR> <BR>

Old May 13th, 1999, 01:19 PM
elvira

I too have taken dozens of rolls of film to Italy, and never had a problem. Whether it's the leggy blonde or the twitching 20 year old guy with sweat broken out on his forehead and pit stains down to his knees, customs has bigger fish to fry than a few rolls of contraband film. <BR>And, yes, I take beaucoup pictures. I assume the reason Americans and Japanese take so many photos is that...we can.

Old May 13th, 1999, 01:43 PM
Tony ...Stellarossa

Elvira, are you insinuating Europeans are poor? <BR> <BR>I take pics for a purpose .....i think about each shot I take. I dont waste film. <BR> <BR>Tone

Old May 13th, 1999, 02:50 PM
elvira

OOO Tone ma man...nowhere did I imply anyone was poor! Being able to take jillions of photographs doesn't mean somebody has more money than someone else...it just means we don't have the emotional baggage that somehow we have to prove our intellectual superiority by being "too sophisticated" to take dumb pictures. We just have a heck of a good time, even if we look like idiots. So what? Not hurting anybody, and we do give the locals a few good laughs (wanna see the picture of us in Groucho Marx noses-and-glasses in front of Buckingham Palace?)