Search

LHR Connection

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR Connection

I know this has been covered somewhat before but any new ideas about making a Heathrow connection on British Air between terminals 1 and 4? Other than long walks/bus rides, are there long security/immigration lines or do you avoid these by your inter European connection status? HOw long does it take?
Any recent experience appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:05 AM

I recently made the connection when going to Rome from Chicago at the end of March. I was concerned also but it was a piece of cake. Follow the clearly marked signs. Both times the shuttle was right there when I arrived. All total about 15 minutes. The security line took about another 10-15 minutes tops. I was traveling during the war though so I don't know if that is the average wait or not.
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I think LHR has improved lately, but most of the wait occurs later in the day, usually on the US inbound part of your trip. Arriving early in the morning has been safe for me; at other times it's a roll of the dice. I have waited as long as two hours for security, and then spent another 20 minutes re-packing my underwear after my luggage was manhandled.
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:55 AM

1. There are no immigration lines.Britain has no outgoing emigration, and if you're arriving from a foreign (ie not UK or Rep of Ireland) country, the whole transfer process happens inside Customs.
2. If arriving from abroad at T1, get the airside bus. If arriving from the UK/Ireland, the quickest way is to get the Heathrow Express (free between T1 and T4)This goes only every 15 mins, som Murphy's Law says you'll wait 14.
From T4 to T1, you could take the tube (and pay): it doesn't go from T1 to T4.
3. Security at T4 can take 5-75 mins (though mostly 15). My experience is that the airside security you go through when you're connecting is a lot quicker than the landside security to get from the check-ins at T4 to Departures.
4. Don't even think about walking. T1/2/3 are several miles from T4
5. If connecting from T1 to T4, the longest queues seem to be at the transfer desk. So make sure you have your ongoing boarding pass from the very start.
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM

We just make a connection at LHR a couple of weeks ago. yes, the bus was there and the ride took about 5 minutes, but we had to go through security again. It took about 45 minutes. Can anyone explain why we had to go through security again?
We connected after a flight, (we were already at security in the US) used their buses, never left the airport??