Reload this Page >

Let's talk about boots!

Search

Let's talk about boots!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Jen

Let's talk about boots!

This may be a bit strange, but I notice many people advising boots for travel in January. For a woman, this is a hard one to pin down. Hiking boots, cowboy boots (j/k), leather boots with heels, galoshes? Please help. I am really trying to pare down my luggage! I'm upper 20's, tend to dress trendy/upper casual. I want to be comfortable without looking too comfortable!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:24 AM
jen

Where are you going and how much do you plan to walk?<BR>In general, I'd suggest leather boots with heels, but not much heel (walk, walk, walk) and a thick enough sole so your feet don't get soaked if you walk through some puddles. Hiking boots are really not necessary. Cowboy boots can be very cool if you can pull them off, figuratively speaking,(leave your Stetson at home). You can get some trendy low boots in Europe that resemble - but are more practical than - the hot shoes right now: super-pointy toes, small sharp heel, cut-outs along the sides. Just be sure you can say, &quot;These boots were made for walkin'!&quot;

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Helen

Oh, to be young again and worry about wearing fashionable boots while touring Europe. Jen, enjoy it because there will come a day when comfort will win out over fashion.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:19 AM
x

Someone topped a thread for you about comfortable shoes..boots.<BR>I find that at this time of year, whether in NYC or Europe, boots are the perfect day &quot;shoe&quot;. They are warm, good for wet days, look good with pants or skirts, most nights I end up wearing them out also.<BR>Mine look like black leather riding boots, no buckles just knee high with a good flat heel.<BR>Have a good trip!!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:45 AM
xxx

Let's not.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:04 AM
x

Question from us uninitiated women:how do you possibly walk in knee high boots,flat soles or not,don't your feet and legs get tired? My doctor would have a fit..!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Shoe

Why would a boot be less comfortable that an shoe? Actually, they have better support for ankles on cobblestone streets and they are warmer.<BR>If you wear a &quot;good&quot; boot or shoe, they will be good for your feet. <BR>And the bonus is they look good!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:04 AM
MMJ

Jen, not wanting to look too comfortable is a very strange idea but if you hadn't told us you were under 35, it would have been a dead giveaway.<BR><BR>On the other hand (foot), I love the coming of &quot;boot&quot; weather, because I can wear my low-heeled, high-top, black leather boots with EVERYTHING -- and they remove the worries about having pantihose, a pedicure, or even what it would look like if I wore socks. I can wear whatever I need to be warm and comfortable (thanks, Dr. Scholl, for the foam inserts). Sprayed with enough silicone (silicon?), you can wear them in lousy weather, even.<BR><BR>Wear 'em on the planes and trains, leave them in the hotel when you have a craving to look uncomfortable.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:54 AM
martine

Cowboy boots (under your jeans) are the latest fashion in Europe! Just wear them! With incinated heels or high heels... you will see everything.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:14 AM
paul

wet weather and warmth triggered the boots suggestion, I am sure. My wife and I travel wearing low-cut ecco brand walking shoes with a heavy soft sole for cobblestones and a gortex lining for dry comfort. we also carry a pair of light dress shoes each--for the odd must look nice restaurant. works for us.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Ann

My male friends have one word for women who wear knee-high boots: &quot;Dirty!&quot;

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:41 AM
lizbeth

Jen,<BR>My favorite boots are ankle-height, about 5&quot; or so, heel is broad and about one and a half inches. Not clunky looking, toe is nice and squared.<BR>They've taken me all around the world in all seasons and are part of my essential &quot;transit uniform&quot;.<BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Nancy

I wore cowboy boots to Europe the last time they were in style in the 80's I think and they were comfortable for the first few days then they got so heavy that I wore my short boots instead. I just wore the cowboys for dinner, etc. and it worked out fine, but I was staying in one place so I didnt have to lug them around either.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:33 PM
xxx

Hey - has anyone tried the LL bean <BR>&quot;all day comfort clogs&quot;? Made for walking but are they waterproof/resistant?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Jim

what I don't understand is why a few women on here insist riding boots are fashionable, with cropped pants, tight skirts, whatever. I am referring to the ones that come almost to the knee.<BR><BR>Is it only me who thinks they belong down on the farm, not Paree. One poster mentioned hers or his didnt have buckles, must represent a heck of a tug to get them on, and especially off after your feet are swollen. Dont your feet sweat,so do you wear athletic socks with them,or just leggins?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Faina

Never knew so many people are wearing boots on vacation! It's a whole boot camp out here!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Shoe

1-Jim, I find your interest in womens feet and shoes interesting.<BR>2-they look like riding boots. They zip. They are high fashion and expensive, so not really a down on the farm look. If you are this interested, look at Ralph Lauren ads in some womens magazines.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Martine

Nancy, in the 80's the cowboy boots looked different from them we wear now. Now the points are sharp. When you are American, why wouldn't you look like an American, cowboy boots are fine!<BR>And maby this sounds silly, but the fashion handbags are a little bit Indian this winter in Europe.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Jim

Shoe F, maybe, but my interest run more to whats in the boots. expensive means little or nothing about fashion, my experience. zippers, reminds me of marlon brando in The wild Ones. Last time I saw Ralph he was old as the hills on his ranch, with Rickey and the kids. And he had on some old boots and undershirt, with those towels and blankets, totally bunk house, so not too sure he's a fashion plate these days. But Im sure you look mighty nice, missy.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:01 PM
daneille

Having just returned from Italy where we literally walked from dawn till 10pm most days (for 16 days) I can honestly say the very best pair of shoes I packed was a leather ankle boot (dressy) with about a 2 1/4 inch heal. They looked fine with trousers or jeans to wear all day or out of an evening (with trousers of course. I took a punishing pair of slingbacks to wear with skirts and dresses). In hindsight these boots should have been the only shoes I took and saved the room in my case.<BR><BR>They kept my feet warm with a good pair of socks and were honestly more comfortable than my light as air joggers which I took for just that reason (I thought they'd be more comfortable) and it didn't matter if I stepped in a puddle as the leather didn't let in the water. The only thing I did pack which was a godsend was a pair of Dr Scholl's padded insoles which I put inside the boot for the days when I had got to the point where I didn't think I could walk another step.<BR><BR>One thing - Europeans look fabulous most of the time. Very fashionable and smart and if you do look dowdy and unkempt you will definately stand out as a tourist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -