Let's Explore the Picardie Region!

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's Explore the Picardie Region!

Here is the latest in my series of reports about what's happening in the regions near to Paris. Once again, I will try to show that it is not necessary to travel to the far flung regions of France to find beautiful and interesting places to visit. Sure, Picardie lacks the dramatic landscapes of the southern and Alpine regions of France, and it doesn't have the magnificent châteaux of the Loire nor the spectacular rocky coastlines found in Brittany. But it is rich in history and has its share of pleasant scenery and charming villages so if you are seeking a little off the beaten path adventure then be daring and click on the link to see what awaits you in Picardie.

http://tinyurl.com/cr52tkf
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM

Another great report and photos - thanks so much.

BTW - that goose didn't look that scary - it was 2 against 1! LOL

I love the rape fields. They create a beautiful landscape.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM

How timely - I am researching for a trip in October that I hope will included some of the WW1 sites. At present I am researching exactly where my four great uncles who were involved actually served. Your photos are indeed picturesque. And very sobering to reflect that those verdant fields were once a sea of barbed wire and mud.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 10:41 AM

A new vocabulary word = plouc. Love it. I promise to use it sparingly, however.

I love that art deco church. And while having the opposite effect on me, that memorial at Butte de Chalmont is something.

Those nighttime photos in Laon look like something out of Jack the Ripper's time. Kinda creepy (thanks, in part, to everyone having the courtesy to stay out of your photos. ;-))

Thanks for another fabulous report.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for reading folks.

adrienne - You've obviously never been face to face with a ferocious man eating goose.

eigasuki - Here is a link to another report about exploring the same region which has other info about WWI sites. Although the Somme battlefields get most of the tourist attention there were many significant battles fought in that region between Chemin des Dames and Château-Thierry:

http://tinyurl.com/7keejcg

YankyGal - My encounters with ploucs are some of my favorite encounters. But meeting the village lunatic is even better.

The Picardie region is full of magnificent treasures. It is especially rich in gothic architecture north of Paris in the region between Beauvais, Saint-Quentin, Compiègne, Laon and Reims.

You know the locals hate to be photographed for my reports so it's a given you'll never see them. )
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks for a wonderful report! My favorites werre the cows and the two yellow tiger cats facing off through the fence. I too enjoyed the night shots in Laon. Actually liked the landscapes in gray weather rather than your older sunny days. The yellow fields seem to pop even more against gloomy skies.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks irishface - Countryside cows are very curious. The two cats were having a conversation. The cat on the left seemed to be telling the other cat to get lost. Everyone raves about the brilliant purple lavender in Provence (with good reason) but no one seems aware of the blazing yellow fields of rapeseed found in the north of France in May. Thanks for reading.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:48 AM

What a fabulous report...thank you!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I loved my "travels" with you this morning! Your report was very interesting and informative. Thank you so much!
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jamikins and kansas.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 06:36 AM

another great report. I'm glad to see you're back on your bike again. Sometimes I think my favorite thing about France is the use of stone in all kinds of buildings.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Coquelicot. Actually I did this tour by car with my Mrs., not on my bike. I needed a break from all the pedaling.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You still scared all of the locals out of the pictures.