Less Expensive Venice Hotels

Jan 11th, 2000, 01:52 PM
D&S

Less Expensive Venice Hotels

Two years ago, I stayed at Hotel Caneva. Loved it! Cannot seem to get through by telephone and fax. Afraid that they may be out of business. Does anyone have any up to date information? As an alternative, am considering Hotel Noemi or Alloggi Alla Scala. Anyone know anything about either? Any suggestions for other reasonably priced one or two star hotels? In Venice, we spend most of our time away from the hotel room.

Jan 11th, 2000, 02:46 PM
richard j. vicek

Good evening, D&S
www.veniceinfo.it has the telephone for
the CANEVA as +39 041-5228118 and fax
+039 041-5208676. Information for
the other hotels also on this site,
however can not give you any first
hand info, have never stayed at them.
Richard of Hickory Hills, IL...

Jan 11th, 2000, 05:16 PM
Pat

We have stayed at one star Hotel Silva just off Maria Formosa Campo for several visits. Great location and a pleasant place to stay.

Jan 12th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Paulo

I havcen't heard a word about they going out of business ... a frien of mine used it last year. The Caneva figures as the best 1-star I've stayed in Venice (though I haven't used it in a long time). You should keep trying to get through. There's a slight chance you're not dialing the 0 before the city code (the change in the Italian phone system was effected mid-June 1998).

Anyways, if you can't get through or if they have no availability, you may try:

- Hotel Minerva & Nettuno (Lista di Spagna, Cannaregio 230 - tel +39 041 715968; fax +39 041 5242139). The location is nothing to rave about but in Venice that doesn't count much. The rooms are very big (for Venice), though basic and a bit dark. Very clean and friendly landlord.

- Hotel Riva (Ponte dell'Angelo, San Marco 5310, tel +39 041 5227034, fax +39 041 5228555). Haven't used it but there's lot's of info in this forum.

- Albergo Doni (Calle del Vin, San Marco 4656, tel/fax +39 041 522 4267). A friend used it and would use it again.

Have not heard about the alla Scala. Somewhere, somebody strongly recommended specifically the room #5 at the Noemi. Haven't stayed there either.

Good luck, and have fun.

Paulo

Jan 12th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Clare

Where is Hotel Caneva and why did you like it so much? I'm desperate for a hotel during Carnivale, but don't want to take chances with a hotel that no one knows.

Jan 12th, 2000, 01:12 PM
Monica

I stayed at Hotel Galleria next to the Accademia museum next to the bridge. Our room faced the grand canal. The room was pretty small with a very small bathroom (room for one person at a time), but well worth the view and location. Paid about $85 per night with taxes. My travel page has the hotel information (also restaurants) under the Hotels link:

http://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/homepage

Have a great time. I LOVED Venice!