Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Les Manoir des Deux Amants, Connelles, Normandy - does anyone know it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we have the opportunity to stay at this Interval property for a very good rate in June. The website is not extensive and I am wondering if anyone has stayed here at all? It seems a little too far to comfortably visit the D Day beaches but we could perhaps stay closer to them on our last night prior to commencing the week here. Would it be a reasonable base for Normandy in general (which we have never visited.) Thank you.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:49 PM

We had thought of staying in Connelles at one point but decided it was a bit out of the way for the rest of our itinerary in Normandy. I don't think the location would lend itself very well as a base for seeing Normandy.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean, I think we will take up the offer anyway and try for Honfleur a few days prior. Have you actually been to Connelles, I get the impression it is quite a nice location itself?
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM

No; we ended up staying near Rouen instead.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Ozgirl, Did you stay at Les Manoir des Deux Amants? We are booked for Sept 2009 and as you say, the website doesn't give much info. Any insight would be appreciated...
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Hello PrimroseLane. Yes we did stay there in June 2008. Nice location, my son and his friend who had never visited Paris, did so by train for a couple of day trips whilst we enjoyed more local scenery. Monet's garden was an easy day trip, as was Rouen and Foret de Lyon (?sp) which we really enjoyed. The actual resort was very pleasant (we usually try and book vacation rentals but this was a very good price....)- staff especially were great. It was my son's birthday whilst we were there and they organised a cake prior to our arrival which was lovely. The restaurant 'on site', Moulin des Connelles? was beautiful and the establishment across the road was OK for a quick bite.
Facilities were good and we found enough to keep us occupied for the week - does not compare though to areas like Provence or the Dordogne (IMHO) but provided a good base to suit all of the family for the week.
If you have any specific questions that I can help with, let me know. Have been a bit 'absent' from Fodors of late as my Mum is unwell and have had to devote time elsewhere!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Hi, Ozgirl, A very belated thank you for your response. I hope your mother is doing better...I know how difficult that can be, having cared for my mom during the last 10 years of her life. I got distracted with our European trip planning with a trip to Chicago/New Hampshire. Now our trip is almost upon us and I'm back to dong research for it. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time at Le Manoir des Deux Amants, and will definitely visit Rouen, Foret de Lyon, and Gerboroy, I've had a poster of Le Sidaner's "Small Village" in my office for years, and was happy to discover that this "City of Roses" is within driving distance of the Manoir. We are going to take a few nights away from our timeshare week to spend in Bayeux as it seems to be better situated for the D-Day beaches. I didn't realize that restaurant Moulin de Connelles was actually on site. That's good to know--it looks lovely in the website. If you have any other recommendations specific to the Manoir (markets, restaurants, particularly beautiful sights) I'd love to hear about them. Thanks again...
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi PrimroseLane, lucky you to be going soon!
Just clarifying that Moulin de Connelles is actually adjacent to Le Manoir, it is not part of the same complex but very much walking distance.
Another little tip, there is not really a close handy "supermarket" type shop - if I remember rightly the complex had very basic supplies, maybe just milk and bread?
We had to go a little further afield (maybe 15-20 mins) for more supplies than that so if you see somewhere on the way, might pay to stock up.
Interesting that you are planning Bayeux - we had actually spent the two nights before our week in Le Manoir at Bayeux, thinking like you that it was a little far away to do D-Day beaches etc from Connelles.
If you haven't booked anything yet, we had a great experience at www.bandb-bayeux.com - Francois was a great guide.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the tips, Ozgirl. We have booked two nights in Bayeux at Hotel Churchill, but haven't booked any tours yet. I was considering BattleBus since it gets good reviews, but will add Francois to our list of possibilities. After leaving Connelles, we are going to spend one night in Chartres before going on to Paris. Do you have any recommendations for lodging there?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

No, sorry. We have no experience there. Have a lovely trip.