Reload this Page >

Left bank hotels in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 12:46 PM
jodi

We are going to Paris in May and are looking for hotel recommendations. We would like to stay on the Left Bank. We've check Hotel D'Aubusson, Hotel de Fleurie, Caron de Beaumarchais and all are completely booked. Has anyone stayed at Relais St. Sulpice or the Le Tourville? The feedback I've seen on other websites has been positive. Any thoughts on others to consider? Thanks. <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 01:54 PM
Bob Brown

Try the Hotel Muguet in the 7th, not far from the Eifel Tower and Hotel Invalides. But the Paris transportation system is so good that any hotel close to a bus stop or a Metro station is not far from anything in Paris. I am assuming you have a list of Paris hotel web sites. If you don't, try this one: <BR>http://www.globe-market.com/75paccue.htm <BR>It lists dozens and dozens of places. Some hotels have highly detailed descriptions; others have only a brief listing with address and telephone number. <BR> <BR>One friend of mine swears by the Best Western hotels. These are not cookie cutter US look alikes. They are French hotels that have joined the marketing plan of Best Western. You can see a complete list of them at the international Best Western site. The Aramis Saint Germain on rue de Rennes is a fine estabishment, but a little pricey. We stayed across the street from it last year and found the location to be convenient to the Metro lines and several bus lines. It is a few hundred yards from Boulevard Montparnasse which seems to be alive all the time, except early Sunday morning. <BR>I don't know if others agree with me, but if you end up out in the 15th Arr or somewhere in the 14th, you still are not far away from most of the major attractions in terms of commute time. <BR>(Except by bus from 5 PM to 7 PM because traffic on the streets is like any American city that suffers from vehicular rigor mortis.)

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 02:03 PM
margaret

years ago I stayed at the St. Sulpice and loved it. More recently, have stayed at the Sarhotel on/or off rue st <BR>bernard and liked it. But the Ste Sulpice was quite special(if it's the same place) -- M

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 06:29 PM
marty

Try the Regent's Hotel near St. Suplice and the Luxembourg Gardens. It is a two star, but very charming and newly and completely renovated. Our rooms on the 5th floor were the largest we have had anywhere in Paris, London, or Rome. It is about 1 1/2 blocks from 2 metro stops.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 06:44 PM
marty

The Regent's Hotel (not the Hotel Regents) is in the 5th and can be seen at the same site that Bob Brown listed.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 06:54 PM
mary

we stayed at le tourville in december. at that time it was being painted and the sanding and fumes were rather bad. 8 am the sanders began their work. but the staff is friendly and very helpful. in april my dad and i are staying at hotel muguet. picked it based on comments here and on bonjour paris website.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 02:09 AM
betty

I vote against Hotel Muguet. <BR>I would like to keep it to myself. It is such a wonderful place with very helpful people, near many excellent resaurants, within walking distance to many atrractions, and with great street just for walking. Yes, it is a place that I would recommend to my friends.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:09 AM
don

A little correction. Regent's Hotel IS in the sixth (44 rue Madame). I stayed there last year. I found the location to be superb, being so close to Luxembourg Gardens, but also in that many different areas are walkable to ( Montparnasse, the Latin quarter, boulevard St. Germain, the 7th, etc....) <BR>the owners were not too friendly, but I did not need their help, so for me, that was not a problem.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:36 AM
s.fowler

I've been recommending Hotel Beroly's, rue de lille on the edge of the 7th - the 6th is just down the block! It's location is good for the river, the louvre, Musee d'Orsay, notre dame, sainte chapelle and many excellent restarurants. It is about $120 USD a night. Here is a website with more details. <BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007bersolys2.htm

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 07:23 AM
Mary

I love the Tourville!! I have stayed there twice and it is lovely, close to the Eiffel, Les Invalides,etc. There is also a grocery store nearby for wine,water, etc. (I always stock up on spices for the kitchen). There are also two other hotels that are affiliated with them (Check past issues of Travel & Leisure). Enjoy!

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 01:39 PM
jodi

Thanks to all for your input. We'll be sure to provide some feedback when we return. I've found this forum to be very helpful. Thanks. <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:28 PM
Brett

Jodi: In case you're still looking, we stayed at the Hotel des Nations in November 1997. It is a small three-star hotel, one block from the Place Monge Metro station, and close to the Sarbonne campus, the Pantheon, and an interesting Roman ruin called "Arenes de Lutece." It was in a quiet, low-key neighborhood, very few Americans, with a nice cafe one block down the hill. Don't know if they have a website, but their e-mail address is (or was) [email protected]. In dollars it came out to $90 a night for a small but adequate room. <BR> <BR>A side note: If you enjoy sculpture gardens, you must take a stroll through the open-air sculpture garden which runs along the left bank near the Jardin des Plantes. Superb!