Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving Venice 7:30am flight, DH says no way, help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally had an 11:30 am direct flight home. Because hubby must be back at work on a certain day the trip was moved forward a day resulting in a 7:30 am flight with a 2:15 layover in Frankfurt...we do not check luggage. Am I happy about it - no - but's it's a return to Venice so I'll do it. He now wants no part of leaving so early....doesn't want the long flight home, afraid we'll oversleep, etc.

He mentioned leaving Venice a day early, is he serious?, and going to Milan and taking the 10 am direct flight home. I don't care to leave Venice a day early for a day in Milan - nor am I thrilled about spending the last night on a train to Milan and staying at the airport.

So....at this time we're staying very close to the San Tomo stop. What time should we leave our hotel for the airport? Would it be advantageous to stay closer to Piazzale Roma for the bus to the airport?

If anyone can help figure this out I owe you one!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Tell him you will miss him on your last day in Venice but will take lots of pictures to share with him when you get back home.

Seriously, it is only about 2.5 hours from Venice to Milan on the train. If you have a 7:30 flight you would be up at crack of dawn to get to the airport, so not likely not be out late the evening before. Just take an evening train to Milan. There's one that leaves Venezia S.Lucia about 8PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM

I am not sure I completey understand, travelfam, except for the fact your husband is having a fit about the 7:30am flight departing from Venice.

If you take the train to Milan the day or evening before you will need to take the Malpensa Shuttle from Milan to Malpensa, a good hour bus ride.

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm

And of course that means another change of hotels for just the last night.

Not to be impolite, but just tell your husband to suck it up and get to the Marco Polo airport by 5:30a.m. The airport won't be opened before that time.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Ditto Seamus's first sentence, but seriously. You don't always drive together at home do you? So why should flying be different?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM

I'm not sure taking a 2.5 hour train negates having a layover in Frankfurt, even if it is a direct flight (and I hate connections).

Venice is a small, easily navigable airport and I've had an earlier flight than that with no problems. Malpensa is going to be a pain in the butt compared to Venice, not to mention all of LoveItaly's good points too.

I'd go with the easier choice and that sounds like Venice. You probably don't even need to get there two hours early but if it's open you may as well.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

I believe I've found a solution to make all parties happy. I switched two destinations which now gives us the opportunity for a direct flight home leaving at 11:30 am. The only downside is a slightly longer train between two destinations...a small price for keeping everyone happy!

How dare anyone ask to leave Venice early!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM
ira

Hi T1,

Mind telling us what you did so that others could have the benefit of your experience?

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

ira - I just switched the order of Venice and Rome so we're departing for home from Rome with the 11:30 am direct. The downside to this change, with all members of our party approving it, is a longer train from Tuscany to Venice. I'm much happier with an 11:30 direct over a 7:30 with a layover.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Your discovery about departure times is why we often recommend on this board that travelers fly into Venice and home from Rome.