leaving soon, need info on parking in Siena & Florence, Padova

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there- we are leaving in 3 days & I have not been able to figure out where good places are to park our rental car WITH LUGGAGE in those towns.

We are driving from Rome to Venice on the 18th. Trenitalia is supposed to be on strike during that time so no we can't take the train, that is why we are driving as we already have a ticket point to point Rome to Venice. IF we have to drive these are the cities I want to stop in & have a look around.

Siena- I want to see Il Campo & the Duomo. Are they very close to one another?(I believe they are). Where can I park securely & how long of a walk or how easy of a bus ride is it from the parking place you are recomending to the place we want to see?

Florence- I want to take pictures from Piazzale Michelangelo & walk around in the city center & once again...the Duomo. Where is there secure parking & how long of a walk/bus ride is it between the parking & the Duomo?

no- I am not suggesting I drive around IN the cities, we just need to know a good convenient, SECURE place to park & then go from there without too much trouble.

Thanks so much for all of your quick responses.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Use www.mappy.com and enter your city. After the map loads, click on car park and the list will appear with clickable links for times/locations/rates.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

thank-you ky. I will do that & it hopefully it will help me.

In the meantime I'm just having a little bit of trouble figuring out if the parking garages that are in the area I want are attended or unattended. If you guys could just review this "plan"of mine & tell me what is gravely wrong with it or tell me if it makes sense that would be really helpful.

I've figured out WHAT I want to see I just need to figure out the best way to do it.....arghh not so easy...

Florence- coming from Siena drive to Piazzale Michelangelo & take pictures as I heard it is a wonderful view from there. Is it possible to DRIVE to Piazzale Michelangelo without too much trouble from the road from Siena? I don't want to drive through a bunch of city traffic.

- then I want to DRIVE from Piazzale Michelangelo to Ponte Vecchio & park there & take a bus to the city center & view the Caattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore.

Is it possible to DRIVE to Ponte Vecchio from Piazzale Michelangelo without too much trouble/crazy traffic?

Does Ponte Vecchio have an attended parking garage?

what bus & is there a bus that will take me from Ponte Vecchio to the Cattedrale di Santa Maria?

Is the Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore THE Duomo of Florence?

I know that some of these questions may seem very obvious but I really have no idea & need very straight forwad answers. I have looked at some maps & that was how I decided what I wanted to do but the maps have not told me the BEST way of getting to & from all those places, or if there is parking garages near there.

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Leave your car at Piazzale Michelangelo and walk down the hill to the Ponte Vecchio. It is a very lovely 10-15 minnute walk. From the Ponte Vecchio, it is another 10 mintues to the Duomo. I would leave the car at Piazzale Michelangelo for the day.

There's also two bus routes (#12 and #13) that follow the same route back into Florence center from the piazzale butin opposite directions. Thes routes skirt the cneter, but eventually reach the train station.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

"From the Ponte Vecchio, it is another 10 mintues to the Duomo."

Thank-you so much for your straight forward answers. I am having such a problem with the maps for some reason...& I'm sure its not the "maps" fault either. ANyway- regarding that 10 minutes to the Duomo. Is that walking or by taking a bus? I'm assuming you mean by foot right?

kybourbon- actually your advice helped me with the maps as well. I didn't realise there was the "other services" button there & I was able to understna better when I followed your directions for mappy.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

ellenem- one more thing...is the parking at Piazzale Michelangelo secure & guarded?
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM

The whole historical centre of Florence, including the roads along the Arno and Piazza del Duomo, is closed to all individual traffic except holders of a special permit for residents. Sightseeing in Florence cannot be done by car.
No, you cannot drive to Ponte Vecchio. The bridge itself is for pedestrians only. Any idea of what Ponte Vecchio and the surrounding area looks like? There is no parking garage nearby. I wouldn't know where to find enough space to build one.
Take the bus or walk, as ellenem suggested.

Yes, Santa Maria del Fiore is the Duomo.
Again, take the bus or walk, you'll probably be faster on foot (it's a 10 minutes walk from Ponte Vecchio).
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM

>is the parking at Piazzale Michelangelo secure & guarded?<

It's not guarded, but I believe it could be deemed 'secure'. The reason is that there are always people there, coming and going, and your car can be in full sight of all this activity. Hopefully your luggage will be hidden within your car, right?

>Is it possible to DRIVE to Piazzale Michelangelo without too much trouble from the road from Siena?<

Yes.

Old May 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

another question....if we want to stop & Piazzale Michelangelo then walk down to the Duomo & look around there "quickly" about how long would a stop like this take?

We can't leave Rome earlier than 8AM as our rental cannot be picked up before then. I still want to get to Venice sometime in the afternoon for some sightseeing.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

quokka- "Sightseeing in Florence cannot be done by car.
No, you cannot drive to Ponte Vecchio. The bridge itself is for pedestrians only. Any idea of what Ponte Vecchio and the surrounding area looks like?"

As I said in OP "no- I am not suggesting I drive around IN the cities" because I already know that there is no vehicular traffic allowed in hte historical center. I just don't know where the historical center begins & ends. No- I have no idea what the area looks like...I've never even been to Italy nevermind Florence. That is why I'm asking these questions because I am trying to get a good idea of the area.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Once parked, if you really needed to be quick, you could accomplish you quick look-around in an hour, perhaps slightly longer since you will be finding your way.

I think your plan to do Siena AND Florence on the way to Venice is unrealistic and will make for an unpleasant day. Choose one and spend a few more hours there.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The lot at Piazzale Michelangelo is just a big parking lot overlooking Florence. Many tour buses coming and going. They stop and take pictures for about 10 minutes and move on. Here's a picture.
http://tinyurl.com/2zb3xq
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:10 AM

If one is familiar with the roads and highways,

Rome -> Florence = 3 hrs
Florence -> Venice = 3.5 hrs
Rome -> Venice (direct) = 6 hrs

>walk down to the Duomo & look around there "quickly" about how long would a stop like this take?<

The Duomo is at least a 30 minute walk from Piazzale M. You'd need at least 2 hours to "quickly" look around. Figure about 3 hours total.

I regret to say that your plan is impractical...

Old May 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I'm realising that my plan is impractical. I decided the other day that we won't be stopping in Siena, just Florence. & we will probably just take a few pictures from Piazzale Michelangelo & be on our way.
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hui, chopinplayer,

can i make a radical suggestion - don't go to Florence either.

the time you will take to drive throguh the traffic up to the piazzale M'angelo and back will entirely spoil your image of Florence forever, and if you are only going to spend 10 minutes at the piaxzzale, it's hardly worth it - you certainly won't understand what it is about Florence that other people love so much.

instead, get a good map and find a small town about half way between Rome and Venice. for example, using Via michelin, I found the "civitella san paolo" which is a medieval town on the northern border of lazio. Pick your spot and go and have a look, take a rest, have some food, enjoy italy.

IMO you will enjoy your enforced drive far more if you go off the beaten track, than inflicting so much trouble upon yourselves, for the sake of 10 minutes.

have a great trip, despite the strike,

regards, ann

Old May 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you. I DO value your opinion & what you are saying definitely makes sense. I'm still not convinced that I wouldn't mind just a "glimpse' of Florence. I think I'm feeling that way because I've heard other "reviews" where people are saying it is such a wonderful view from up there that it is SOOOOOO tempting for me. But I also LOVE the idea of going & meandering through Italy & finding a nice small town to wonder around in....
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, chopin,

I do sympathise with desire to see florence. trouble is, you're not gonig to if you only spend 10 minutes at a scenic car park!

do have a look at www.viamichelin.com and put in rome to venice. It's about 550 km - 6 hours driving [they say 5hrs 45min]. so if you are leaving rome at 8am, you shoudlb e at Florence by 11am ,parked by 11.30.

you then have a good hour or two to explore the centre of florence - 15 minutes walk up to the duomo, 15 minutes wander round, 30 minutes up the dome, [or the campanile if you prefer] and have lunch.

then back to the car, and off to venice.

you should be there by 5pm, and have the rest of the evening - it gets dark late at this time of year - to explore.

unless you feel that you can spend at least an hour exploring Florence, IMO you'd do better not to bother at all. ditto siena.

but it's your trip - enjoy it in your own way.

regards, ann
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I'm just wondering - is the parking lot at Piazalle Michelangelo free, and are there other free parking areas in or near Florence?
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM

> is the parking lot at Piazalle Michelangelo free, < YES

> and are there other free parking areas in or near Florence? < NOT THAT I KNOW OF...

Old May 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Thanks Tuck for the quick response.

That's great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -