Leaving Kids for Romantic Italy in Sept - Rethinking Where to go need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as I said in another post my friend called me gushing about her Italy trip and getting away for some grown up time and I then discovered some great prices for direct flights to Milan or Rome from Atlanta. Grandma is on board to come watch the kids for 6 days in late Sept and early Oct. I THOUGHT my friend had gone to Cinque Terre so I thought .. great I'll just repeat her trip and get the same results.

Well turns out she was hiking in Tuscany. Had a great time but I don't think I want to repeat her trip. I would love to see the seaside, and I was in Florence and Tuscany in 2002 - yes a long time ago but would like to go somewhere else this next trip.

I went to Croatia in 2005 and loved the island of Hvar. I kind of want some of that same leisurely, seaside feeling but with some better food (it wasn't bad of course but Italy is a cut above).

I think the CT might be the best choice............but I was starting to lose my nerve by reading some descriptions of 'overrun", no Italians live there etc. We're planning quickly and CT would be a nice, easy to plan, idea. But the hearty traveler in me is thinking I should research more and find something off the beaten track, go further afield, I am even starting to rethink if I should go to Spain. Blah blah blah.

I got a bug, thought I was going to be all spontaneous and then I think - wait a second, was I planning to go to Italy in next few years? If I am going to get Grandma to come shouldn't I really go somewhere a little more unique, make it really special.

The other part of my brain says - Margaret it's a great place, it will be turn key and easy to plan, you wanted to take some hikes, eat good food, take naps in the sun, sleep late and see and maybe swim in the sea. Sounds like CT right?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Try the Ligurian Riviera. My husband and I just finished a 5-night stay there. Easy to get to from Milan bu rental car or train). We stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure, a nice town right on the sea, good hotels, excellent food. Beautiful walks or short bus rides or boat trips will take you to the gorgeous towns of Portofino (bring your euros), Rapallo, and Camogli. (We though Camogli was delightful.)

From SML or Rapallo you can be in the Cinque Terre in less than an hour by train, if you want to explore those towns and-or do the walk between them.(We trained to Vernazza for a day trip, walking between Vernazza and Corniglia.)

I think the area would fit your needs perfectly!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I would go when you can get Grammy for 10 days. Lots of $$$ and hassle for just 5 days in Italy.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

10 days are never going to happen.... 6 maybe 7 days feels like a lot and good. Good airfare prices and good delta connections make it possible to consider europe at all vs sticking with US or carribean.

Maybe 3 days in Santa Margherita and 3 days right in CT - we are inclined to not move at all but I think that a little variety takes some of the pressure off to pick the perfect spot.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Longer would be better, true, but given your circumstances (described previously---multiple young children) I'd take the time offered by granny and hit the road.

I would stay put for the entire period. Changing locations means more hassle, the added cost of the transfer, and time wasted. Never mind perfect, just pick one location and enjoy it. Either of these, or any of many others, will be lovely.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM

If it is at the beginning of September Santa Margherita would be great and where you only have 5 days I would base my self from there - you can make a day trip to CT and Portifino. If you fly into milan and rent a car you could make a stop at Bergamo Alta (the upper town) it is beautiful hill town very old worth a stop if you have the time
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks --- it is really a philosophical battle to be come a "satisficer" vs an "optimizer" the latter being a road to misery....

What's not to love 5 days in Italy, beautiful - but alas when it is such a rare rare treat it is hard to not think what is the best plan.

That said - thinking more the END of September.. does that change your recommendation romatravel?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

I guess the other thought is why not Cinque Terre, is it just to not go so far, or is it because I could stay put in one place.