Leaving for Rome on Tuesday...

Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Leaving for Rome on Tuesday...

Anyone want to throw any last minute advice my way? We're taking the train from Venice to Rome and will get there in the afternoon and stay 3 nights, leaving Friday evening. 2 adults and a 2 year old. Staying at Piazza Navona.

Just wondering if anyone has any family friendly restaurants they can recommend, or other attractions besides the most famous ones, that my daughter might enjoy as well as mommy and daddy.

Anyone want to meet us there and do a little babysitting?
Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:11 AM

I'm confused. Do you live in Venice?

I think in general your daughter will enjoy the same kinds of places she went last year on vacation. Have her write down in fifty words or less what she liked best and why, and someone here can analyze it for you.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are Americans living near Venice, but we have never been to Rome before. Just looking for some last minute suggestions.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:34 AM

Hi Cricket: Just (I think) south of the piazza (the opposite way from the Panteon) is a very "local" section. The restaurants are all frequented by locals. It's very vibrant and active. We walked through it last year and when we go back this year I'm going there for lunch or dinner.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:02 AM

Can you get a copy of this month's GOURMET magazine? It's all about Rome this month-- secret places, restaurants, places to eat while on the run, etc.
One trattoria that they mention stands out in particular: Antonio Bassetti, which they write, "is like going to mama's for dinner". Also, DaAlfredo e Ada, which is nearby.
Addresses: Antonio Bassetti, Via del Governo Vecchio 18; DaAlfredo e Ada, Via dei Banchi Nuovi 14. Good luck, and have a great time!
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM

I've eaten at Ada's for many years. Never changes. Good food, reasonable prices and Ada will go ga ga over a little one. She is like everyone's grandma and you'd better not leave any food on your plate. Of course, if you clean it, you are very likely to be given more.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:57 PM

Hi, Cricket. Just returned from Rome and ate again at one of my favorite places, Buca di Ripetta at 36 via di Ripetta. Your little one will be fine there. It's frequented by the locals, and is closed only on Mondays. The joy of dining there on a Sunday is that they're only open from noon til 3pm, so once you get in, the table is yours for as long as you want it. It's a small place with about 15 tables.

Buon Viaggio & Buon Appetito,
BC