Leaving for Paris? then on to Greece this evening

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave tonight for Athens, but I have a lonnggggg layover in Paris. I am supposed to arrive in Paris at 8:40am and my flight for Athens leaves at 6:25pm. I still haven't decided whether I will head into Paris for a few hours. My adventurous side says yes, my practical (and probably very tired side) says no.

I will be spending time in Athens, Crete (Chania, Paleochora, Makriyialos) and Santorini. Any last-minute tips?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM

I'd have to leave the airport! If your luggage is checked and you have very little carry on then lunch in Paris would be lovely!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

There lies part of the issue- no matter how hard I try my carry-on is not light. It could be manageable but difficult.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM

What on earth is "practical" about hanging round an airport for ten hours?

Get the RER into town. Have a brisk stroll along the Seine or around a few gardens, and get some edible food inside you. Buy a copy of Pariscope and see one (no more) exhibition, or catch up with a favourite object at the Louvre, Jeu de Paume or wherever. Or, if your brain's not working, just meander round the shops.

Then, feeling a million times better than you would if you'd sat round CDG all day, go back to the airport and have a far, far more pleasant flight down to Athens.

I really can't think of a single argument for wasting a day at Europe's most dysfunctional public utility.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm.... I guess the concern is that it will be my first time in Paris & I don't want to miss my flight to Athens. I do have all the train info. printed out. I've also read many posts about the security at CDG being extremely time-consuming. It will all depoend on if my plane lands on time tomorrow & how I feel, I suppose!