Reload this Page >

leaving for Italy next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 02:32 PM
judy

Hello world! <BR>I'm leaving for Italy (Venice, Milan, Florence, Rome) next week and here are some questions. <BR> <BR>1. I plan to stay at a convent in Venice for 3 nights. It only cost a total of 135,000 lira. I'm sure it will be very basic. Has anyone ever stayed at a religious institution? Is it safe? <BR> <BR>2. How/where can i reserve tickets to see the Last Supper in Milan? <BR> <BR>3. I heard the Ice Man is in Bolzano, Italy, about a 3 hour train ride from Venice. Has anyone been there? I can't seem to find info on the museum that holds him, any ideas? Or did he get returned to Austria/Switzerland or whereever he was first spotted? <BR> <BR>4. I will be in a 6 people couchette compartment on the night train from Paris to Venice, as well as from Rome to Paris. Is this type of compartment generally safer than the regular sitting compartment where people seem to get robbed? Is there lock on the couchette compartment? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Judy <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Walter

Hi Judy, This is from a past post on another forum for "Last Supper" reservations. (+39)0289421146 if calling from aboard and 199.199.100 if calling from Italy. Now the bad news, this is what I've *heard*. They're only letting in 25 people at a time for 15min (100 per hr @ how many hrs they're open so it won't be that many per day-closed Mondays I believe). One poster kept calling and just got a answering machine in italian. Another poster in Milan waited for 2hrs in line/queue and it moved 1m, only to find out this was the line just to make reservations. Please let us know how you made-out, I might try in Nov. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Walter

Hi Judy, This is from a past post on another forum for "Last Supper" reservations. (+39)0289421146 if calling from aboard and 199.199.100 if calling from Italy. Now the bad news, this is what I've *heard*. They're only letting in 25 people at a time for 15min (100 per hr @ how many hrs they're open so it won't be that many per day-closed Mondays I believe). One poster kept calling and just got a answering machine in italian. Another poster in Milan waited for 2hrs in line/queue and it moved 1m, only to find out this was the line just to make reservations. Please let us know how you made-out, I might try in Nov. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 10:46 PM
graziella

Hi Judy, what do you mean if a convent is safe?....Long ago when I was a student probably your age now I had a good time in a Convent in Rome, only thing you had to return before a certain time at night or get the key... <BR>Safe???? of course!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>........ <BR> <BR>Bon voyage. Graziella.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:54 AM
maria

The Ice Man is in Bolzano. We saw him a couple of weeks ago and it was really amazing. He is in the Tirol/Sud (?) Museo Archeologico. However, the museum is closed on Mondays. I have all of my information at home but I will post tomorrow. The museum was pretty crowded with school children. <BR> <BR>If you can, book the first class sleeper. We exchanged our couchette ticket for the sleeper ticket. We paid the extra. My husband and I were separated from the others on the train and our compartment was locked and air-conditioned. We took the night train from Naples to Venice. Have a great time in italy and I will post info on the Ice Man.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 08:32 AM
elvira

I've done the couchette from Paris to Nice and vice versa; I've always been in a couchette with women, or couples. The bunks are long enough to put your bag at the foot, if you want. There's a net pouch on the wall beside you that you can put your wallet, eyeglasses, water into. The compartments are clean and safe (the door locks from the inside). I felt very at ease; the bunks, though, are not 'comfy'...but if you are not a light or fussy sleeper, you'll be fine. <BR> <BR>The most important thing to remember: the space is TIGHT; Europeans are used to this and work around it. Do the same; make yourself as "small" as possible.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Paulo

Info regarding the Ice Man can be found at <BR>http://www.provincia.bz.it/archaeolo...um/i/index.htm <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 01:04 PM
judy

Thanks to everyone who replied to my list of questions!! You all are so kind. <BR> <BR>Now, if anyone out there will be able to hook up with me while I'm in Europe, it would be fabulous. I'll be there for a month, 1/2 the time I will be bycycling with a group, 1/2 the time i will be alone traveling around, so if anyone out there will be in Venice or Rome the same time I will, let's do lunch!! <BR> <BR>I will be in Venice: June 23, 24, 25. <BR>I will be in Rome: July 3,4,5,6,7,8. <BR> <BR>Cheers <BR>Judy <BR> <BR> <BR>