Leave tomorrow (10/3) for Bavaria

Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Leave tomorrow (10/3) for Bavaria

I am leaving tomorrow morning for 2 weeks in Bavaria. You can see all about my trip on www.geocities.com/larry_aufderstrasse. I will start in Oberammergau and spend about four days on the Romantic Road, with extended stays in Landsberg, Nördlingen, Feuchtwangen, and Weikersheim. After two days in Würzburg, I hope to continue on via Bamberg, Nürnberg, Passau, Burghausen, and back to Munich, with a possible side trip to Andechs.

I'll think I will have internet access on at least five of the nights, so hope to update this posting and my site on my progress.

Larry in Colorado
larryincolorado at hotmail.com
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM

Have an enjoyable trip, Larry.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM

have a great trip and remember to post a trip report!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

I wish you a wonderful trip Larry. May your flights be comfortable and on time, may the food be delicious, the wine and/or beer refreshing and the people interesting, kind and helpful. I look forward to any posts that you can write during your trip.

A grandson and I are hoping to take a trip similar to yours..maybe next year if possible. Best regards.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Aloha Larry,
Looking forward to your posts, as I will be visiting the same area between the 20th October and 10th of November.
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM

Sounds like a great trip, Larry. I checked your website a bit, and it's very cool. For a minute I was wondering if painting your guesthouse tan was a prerequisite for you to book!

Have fun, and I look forward to reading about those smaller places in Germany.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

>I was wondering if painting your guesthouse tan was a prerequisite for you to book!

No, but answering my German language email request in German was.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM

Sounds like a great trip! I hope the weather is perfect for you.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM

Excellent work Larry! Your organization - research - and prior planning is primo. Hope your itinerary works out and everything is as smooth as you have envisioned it to be. May the weather gods be with you... Ben
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM

Have fun over here!!!
Better say "Larry fährt die Romantische Straße entlang". "Larry auf der Romantischen Strasse" sounds "English". ;-)
Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:00 AM

Have a great trip Larry!!!
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:57 AM

At 6pm CEST today (In 5 minutes), DB will present it's changed scheduled for tomorrows day of strikes. You'll sure be going to have lots of fun and many chances for practicing your German ;-)
http://www.bahn.de/blitz/view/index.shtml

Have fun anyway!
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Hope you have as great a trip as we did. Just returned this evening from our 3 week trip and visited Nördlingen and Feuchtwangen earlier in the week.

This was our first visit to either town, having spent previous trips visiting Rothenburg (many times) and Dinkelsbuehl. Enjoyed Nördlingen but Feuchtwangen was our favorite. Happened to be there on the holiday (Oct 3) so everything was closed but husband liked it cause there wasn't much car or people traffic to hamper his photo taking.
Oct 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Freitag, 5. Okt., 0830. The flight was uneventful, and I arrived in Oberammergau about 4 PM Thursday. Will visit Linderhof tomorrow. There is a rail stike this morning, but I have only a 15 minute bus trip to worry about.
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I hope you don't mind if I travel along with you Larry? Sounds like a fun trip.
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM

machst gut und viel Spass, Larry.

alles gute,

Ann
Oct 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Regarding posting photo links, I use www.shutterfly.com because, well, I've used them for years and they have thousands of my pictures now (when I first started, I did a comparison of print quality from different sites, and shutterfly came out the best. I've also seen them highly rated in photo articles). Uploading photos and sharing them online is totally free. I also like the quality of their photo related products, especially the calendars, which I make every year for gifts. That being said, I don't think that the online slide show does justice to the pictures because you can't get them very close to full screen.

A site I might consider if I were just starting with an online photo hosting site is www.flickr.com, because I always like the photo links I receive from them. I'm not sure if it's free, though. A neat feature to have is the ability to download your photo file back to your computer. That may only be available for sites that charge a fee.
Oct 5th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Oh, SO SORRY!! That last post of mine was meant for another thread. I've never done that, and I truly apologize Larry. btw, it's so cool that you are updating from the road! I really am following your trip...
Oct 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I have been outside the Internet for most of the last four days. I did find an Internet cafe in Nördlingen, but I only had time to check email from home.

Wieskirche is just another overly ornate Bavarian church. Ho hum.

Schongau was a waste. Most of the wall is not even accessible.

On the other hand, I was more impressed with Landsberg am Lech, which was not supposed to be any more than just an overnight stop.

Donauwörth was interesting, but not worth a great effort to get to.

Harburg castle was very interesting, but not a must-not-miss.

Nördlingen. Now, there is THE place to stop. I might have liked it better than Rothenburg. I went out at 8 AM and walked the streets in the town, and watched the town wake up. I saw delivery vans parked on soon-to-be-busy streets, delivering their goods. I watched workers scuttling to their jobs and shopkeepers sweeping already immaculate sidewalks before putting out their wares. The wall around the town is virtually intact and you can walk most of the way, it not all of it, on the Wehrgang. I spent an evening and until noon the next day there, and I easily could have spent several days.

In contrast I was less impressed with Dinkelsbühl.

Feuchtwangen is a cute little town, but nothing extraordinary.

Weikersheim had an interesting palace, one that is quite old.

Bad Mergentheim has a museum built about and in a former castle of the German Order of Teutonic Knights. I only spent a few hours there, but I could have spent a day. However, the exhibits are only in the German language.

That was it for the RR. The rest of my trip is Bamberg, Nürnberg, Passau, Burghausen, Munich, and Andechs. Bamberg and Andechs could be iffy depending on when the loko drivers decide to strike.
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

I made it to Burghausen. I made a bad decision to go from Passau to Burghausen via Austria (Neumarkt-Kellham). It cost more € and took a lot more time.

I switched Nürnberg and Bamberg in order to take the EC from Würzburg to Nürnberg since the only way to get to Bamberg was by regional train and they were on strike. However, I still got to see both.

Three more days.

The rooms have been cold, as it is cold outside and the German's don't like to turn on the heat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO