Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leave for Paris on Friday: What am I forgetting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has been so helpful in answering my questions over the last few months. We leave for Paris in two days...2 adults and kids 13, 11 and 8. I've made a detailed packing list, but what am I forgetting? What did you not have on your trip that you wish you had brought? Or what did you feel so smug for remembering to bring?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:33 PM
yk

missypie

Make sure you don't forget your kids... For everything else, there's Mastercard.

Have a great trip!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:34 PM

A washcloth.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Oh rub it in why don't you ! I'm jealous, as long as you have tickets and passports YK is right, you can get what you forget there!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:51 PM

One thing I always forget...to clean out the fridge! also stop newspaper, mail etc.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Did you remember to call your credit card company to let them know you're going to France? They may inactivate your credit card.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I called the credit card companies. Last year we were vacationing in Washington State - we crossed over into British Columbia and they cut me off!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Ziploc bags and addresses for postcards!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Condense and print out your notes! Have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Prescription medication ("just in case stuff" like antibiotic for the kids?), extra eyeglasses/contacts. Just think of anything you really couldn't replace/buy. If any of your party is an unusual clothing size (very large, tall etc.) pay special attention. Make sure you have enough in a carry on bag in case your luggage is lost/delayed for a day (ie mix & match luggage contents).
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:53 PM

missypie, we too are leaving Sat. and are so excited! Our 18 & 15 yr. olds can't wait! I'm reading your replies to see if I've forgotten anything as well!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I will be going to Paris and Normandy with my 14 yr old son this summer so I expect to hear wonderful trip reports from you two who are going this week with teenagers. Au Voir!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:10 PM

amwosu-
my husband & 18 yr. old son are taking the train from Paris to Normandy on Tuesday and are planning on taking the 5 hr. American Beach tour in the afternoon. I'll report back with that. So Tuesday my 15 yr. old daughter and I are making that a shopping day. We are renting an apt. on Rue de Levis by metro: Villiers, so the Galeries Lafayette is close by as are Printemps. Any other shops to look for in the area?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM

To flygirl2: When you go to Galeries Lafayette or Le Printemps go to the information desk and present your passport to get a tourist card which gives you a 10% discount. My other strategy is this: check out everything you want or might possible want to get then be sure to purchase it on the same day to take advantage of the "detaxe". I believe you have to spend 175 euros..then go to the detaxe dept on the ground floor and you will be processed quickly; this will get you a further refund of about 12%. Many shops in Paris have a smaller area in the dept stores; for example for handbags try La Bagagerie. You get the same bags as in their independent shops but with the 2 discounts. I love to shop so I check out everything then go back and make all my purchases at the same time, or at least on the same day. GL is also opening a new store across the street which will be Lafayette Maison. If you're going on a Tuesday you can get a ticketfor the fashion show; I did this on line on the GL website. You print off your confirmation and take it with you. GL also has a great food hall as part of Lafayette Homme (mens). And you're only a 5 min walk from Fauchon, Hediard and Maille (mustard); great for souvenirs.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM

And...how could I forget...just out the door farthest East of GL, still on Blvd Hausmann check out Bouchara (sp?) ; they have great placemats, aprons,etc as well as fabric.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:30 PM

To missypie: the one item I always find useful is a 6 or 8 foot extension cord. I have long hair and need to blowdry; so often the outlet is on one wall and the mirror on another and those bathroom hairblowers just won't do the trick for me. And don't forget appliances like blowdryers need to be 220 voltage.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:22 PM

I always like to bring a bottle of water for the long flight. The air on long flights seems to get very dry, so I bring along a water bottle and refill when necessary.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:58 AM

Had the name/address/phone number of my hotel and the American Embassy on an index card to show the taxi driver if his English wasn't very good, and I needed a taxi. Bring washcloths - hotels in London/Paris didn't have any.Adapters worked fine for hairdryer and electric rollers that were dual voltage. Had listed on paper what I wanted to see and opening/closing times, Metro to use to get there, and location. This way I didn't have to drag a guidebook with me. Make sure you have a Metro map with you all the time. Had some Euros with me when I landed to avoid long lines at ATM and exchange booth. Didn't forget anything - I had lived and breathed this trip for months but it paid off. Had a great time! Good luck.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Don't forget to empty all the trash before you leave. Take copies of all the passports and put them in your luggage seperate from the real passports. Make sure any connecting flights allow plenty of layover time, the airlines are starting to cut it too close and folks miss flights.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Somewhere on a similar thread I read of bringing saline solution for airplane dry air...I would have killed to have had some the last flight!

Bon Voyage!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -