Leasing a car for 4 months

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have rented a house in Lake Como area of Italy for four months--June---Sept. Working on transportation; planning to fly from IAD to Amsterdam and pick up a car there and drive to Menaggio. The best quotes so far are from Renault Eurodrive. Anybody had any experience with them? Any other ideas out there for wheels? Anybody bought a used car and sold same when leaving Europe?
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM

What's the limit one can stay in Europe these days at one stretch..? Somehow I thought it was 90 days...
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes - you can lease a car for 4 months. And the Renault program has had several good reviews on here. However w/o a visa you are limited to 90 days in any 180 days in the Schengen zone. I'm assuming you are getting a visa - if not you can't stay in Italy that long (or Netherlands or France or any combination of them) . . .
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Good idea !
We did 2 months with a Peuguot via Kemwel in 1999 and saved a bundle. I know you can drop at Milan with them.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Didn't realize that the 90 limit covers all Euro-countries--I was planning to cross borders during the stay to solve the problem. Looking into a visa now. rlb
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM

<<< Didn't realize that the 90 limit covers all Euro-countries- >>>

It DOESN'T. It covers countries that are members of Schengen
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Where is the house in Como? If it is up in the hills, make sure to wake up before dawn and watch the city lights turn off and the sun rise. It is the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. You can actually see the curve of the globe. I did this from a friend's balcony and had to restrain myself from crying.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>I was planning to cross borders during the stay to solve the problem</i>&quot; That does not solve the problem. Say you leave and go into Switzerland or the UK (non-Schengen) - the clock doesn't start over giving you a new 90 days. You would be limited to 90 days total in any 6 month period.

So you could rent the house for 3 months and drive over to Switzerland for the last month -- but you couldn't go back to Italy (or France or any other Schengen country) until 6 months had passed.

You have to treat all the Schengen countries as if they were one - and you would have a TOTAL allowed time of 90 day unless you have a visa.

The 15 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

re counting the days in Schlengen countries: How in the world can any country keep track of where one spends the time? To my understanding there are no formal border crossing stations these days when driving.

If I get a visa for say the Netherlands, does that suffice for all Schengen countries; thanks for everyone's help.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM

There are normally no checks at Schengen internal borders (e.g. between Germany and France), but once you leave Schengen, you are subject to inspection (though it can be perfunctory or non-existent, e.g. crossing a land border to Switzerland).
While they don't normally track individual traveller's movement in and out of Schengen, it will be up to you to show that you have complied with the rule, rather than for them to prove otherwise. This may happen, for example, if you come to the attention of the authorities following an incidence such as accident or victim of crime. You may have to show travel tickets and hotel receipts to demonstrate you haven't overstayed.
If you do get a longer-stay visa for one of the Schengen counties (such visas are always country-specific), you are allowed to visit other Schengen countries, officially for 90-in-180 days, but in effect as long as your visa remains valid.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM

We've stayed in Europe five or six times in the past 10 years for over 3 months at a time. We didn't know anything about this &quot;law&quot; until a couple years ago. We freely told authorities as we arrived and departed how long we were there for, no one ever said a word. Nor was there ever a question when they stamped our passport for departure next to the four or five month earlier arrival date. I'm not saying that's the way to do it, just telling you we didn't know better and it never caused a problem.

But back to your question, we've always been very happy with AutoFrance and a new Peugeot. You can pick up in Amsterdam and drop off in Milan.