Search

learning french

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:45 PM
scott

learning french

I'm seeing tons of books/audio tapes in book stores on learning french. Any suggestions which one is best? I'm leaving at the end of march for switzerland/france and need to brush up on my french. thx<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:53 PM
janis

A couple of years ago I used the Fodor's package. It had two audio tapes, a compact phrasebook/dictiobary, and a travelers quick reference guide. The tapes were pretty clear and the little quick reference guide was handy to carry. I'm not sure it was the best one on the market but it was middle priced and I managed just fine.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Emily

Scott,<BR><BR>About.com has a French language site. I recall seeing lists of books and tapes for every level. <BR>http://french.about.com/index.htm?terms=French<BR><BR>If this doesn't work, go to About.com and search for French Language. <BR><BR>Hope it helps.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:39 PM
ggrant

I have tried several sets of language tapes over the past few years. Just yesterday I picked a Pimsleur audio Quick & Simple French. I listened to it for three of the lessons and so far really like it much better than all of the others I tried.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:03 PM
md

Buy a box of Corn Flakes from Canada. According to the rednecks, it's the quickest way to get French stuffed down your throat.<BR>(Canadian in-joke.)

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Valerie

Go to <BR>http://user.nexet.net/pmconnect/french.html

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Janice

Back when I forced myself to learn Italian (for which I am now grateful) I bought the "Italian in 10 minutes a Day" book with the stickers and silly workbook style layout. It was great. Admittedly, my apartment was stickered everywhere, and I felt like I was in kindergarden doing some of the exercises, but they worked very well, and the cost is very reasonable. What you don't get, however, is a chance to listen to people speaking French. For that, I have used Learning Language, Berlitz, and Pimsleur. Go for something cheap. Your success is much more a function of how hard you work, than of choosing just the right tapes.