Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Le Sireneuse - - $700 a night - -could this be right? Is it really worth it?

Jun 6th, 2003, 09:54 AM
jmp
Original Poster

Hi,

I just was quoted a rate for a deluxe room, sea view with a balcony and jacuzzi, in October for $700 (620 euros). Is this an outrageous rate and does the Sireneuse ever offer any deals?

Thanks
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Yes and no !
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Phew. I haven't stayed there, but I wouldn't pay that for Buckingham Palace . Its a personal matter as to what is important I suppose. If you are out all day sightseeing, its not that you get to see much of the hotel anyway.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Stay at Hotel L'Ancora next door for 1/3 of that price and with the same beautiful view. You won't have the same amenities but all the rooms at L'Ancora have terraces and jacuzzi tubs.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:10 AM

You can get a standard room,queen bed,no view for 360Euros.Just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.Thats a small price for some people to pay to be able to be introduced as "This is Jane--she stayed at Sireneuse last fall."
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Albergo California a few steps away from Le Sireneuse is just as good for 1/5 the price. Albeit they are not in the same catagory but it's the same view and AC is even higher than LS. Spacious rooms, high ceiling, and most of all clean, some rooms even have jacuzzi. Free parking too. But make sure to ask for a room on the upper level.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Stay at the Villa Rosa, right across the street from Le Sirenuse, for 140 euro. It's on the higher side of the street, and the view is even more spectacular!
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:52 AM

What recession? Nutty. I stayed 5 years ago in high season and it was $450/ngt.
For my money, I would stay at il San Pietro for about $550/night. The Euro has strengthened sharply.
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Try the Poseidon, just uphill from Sirenukse with gorgeous views, wonderful food, and a very helpful staff. You'll feel like a houseguest instead of a client. If you decide to go, make sure to ask for a jr. suite there with terrace. You won't be sorry. Two years ago, the jr. suites ran about $400/night, and were well-worth it. The hotel also has a spa on the top floor.
Good luck! By the way, unless you don't mind stuffy, I wouldn't opt for San Pietro. Couldn't wait to get out of there, and we were only there for two dinners with some of my husband's clients!
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM

I paid about 600 Euros in '02. It is a beaufiful place, in a perfect location, with a great spa and wonderful staff! It has gotten very expensive!
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:44 PM

$700 per night? just buy the jacuzzi and ship it home.
No way.
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM

$700 per night is pretty high. We had a deluxe sea view room at the Sirenuse last July for about 600 dollars per night. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. I loved sitting on our terrace with a bottle of prosecco, some potato chips, nuts and olives and enjoying our own private cocktail hour, or two or three drinking in that incomparable view. Actually, $700 per night is a pretty standard price for deluxe rooms in the famous luxury hotels in Italy: Villa d'Este, Villa San Michele, Splendido, Volpe in Sardinia and the San Domenico in Taormina. The Cipriani in Venice is closer to $1000 per night.
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:34 PM

If you have to ask the price jmp, it's not the right place for you. Neither is Palazzo Sasso, or San Peitro. There are loads of alternatives as suggested, but even some of these are very high priced as well. There are hundreds of post about the Amalfi region, just do a search and you'll get lots of suggestion about a price range that's right for you.
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:26 AM

.. please!!! you can't compare L'ancora, the Villa Rosa or the California to the fantastic 5stars Le Sirenuse! The only thing they have in common is that they are really close to each other but none of them can give you all the kindness, the professionality and the beauty that Le Sirenuse can give you! My husband and I loved it, we're going back next year, and surely the year after, and again and again!! The price it's not outrageous maybe it's not enough for everything they do and for how they do everything for you!
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Bootman4U

I think perhaps somebody might have been taken to the cleaners on this one...I know lots of places that give great service, are "charming", spotless, memorable, and all those other totally subjective adjectives..and for a lot less than E620...and in the "on" season to boot.
At that price, I reaaly would expect the place to "do everything" to and for me, some of which cannot be described on a public board like this one. To eash his own.

Jun 12th, 2003, 06:01 AM

I can't imagine anything any hotel anywhere could do for me for $700 a night that I haven't gotten for $60 or $100 a night elsewhere. Anything legal that is. The most we've ever spent for accomodations is $140.

Of course, it's all a matter of perception and personal values and what a hotel stay means to the individual. When we go on vacation, we don't spend much time in our accomodations--we want to be out doing things. If we spend 7-8 hours in our hotel to sleep, shower, and change clothes, that's a lot for us.

I imagine that for other people part of the vacation experience is being pampered in their hotel--and if that's worth $700 a night to them, then it's their money, their time, their vacation. We're all looking for different things from our travels--and whatever rings your chimes is fine with me.
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:15 AM

I'm sure there are comparable hotels to La Sireneuse for alot less money. Personally I would not want to pay that much for a hotel room and it's not because I can't afford it. It's because I can't justify paying a rate that's practically as high as a mortgage payment. I would rather spend my money on other things.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:44 PM

I believe I just read through the above posts and noticed that no one mentioned that the price during high season includes the use of the hotel boat for day excursions. If you plan on taking advantage of that, it is an OK price because if you check out what the independent companies charge for boat excursions out of Positano it is quite high. We were there for around 4-5 nights last fall and it was easily the nicest hotel we've stayed in Italy so far. We loved our deluxe seaview room. Our french doors perfectly framed "I galli" (The famous Siren isles) and opened up to a very private terrace (we noticed some of the terraces & balconies are NOT private, so I would definitely request one if that's important to you. The spa was tiny, but a jewel. The double massage (two therapists working like a dickens on ya!) was one of the best if not the best massages I've ever had. The decor throughout the hotel was extremely tasteful and luxe without being gaudy or overdone. The restaurant at night is absolutely dreamy. Yes, they do have special "Low season" rates (we paid about 40% less in November, but it didn't include use of the boat (which we would've used had it been available), and it was a little chilly for laying out in your bikini by the pool. It was very lovely, however for hikes and strolls through the coastal villages. I also noticed at times they have "Package deals" (spa or cooking school packages). Would I pay $700 during high season? Well, if I could afford it, I definitely would! I would do it to get the better weather. I think you get more than twice as much for your dollar than some hotels that charge half as much. They really do everything they do well and in style.
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM
dlm

I faced the same question last summer and decided to split my time in Positano between a less expensive hotel (Miramare) and Sirenuse. I loved Miramare (1/3 of the price) and did not think Sirenuse could possibly be worth the extra cost. But I was wrong. It is stunning in a way that even the cutest, most charming inns are not. Magical at night.
That said, I would consider getting a room without a view. I know this is heresy to many, but here's why. The public/common areas at Sirenuse are to die for. The restaurants/terraces/pool area/sitting areas . . they all have amazing views and that is where you spend all of your time. You spend relatively little time in your room looking at the view. So if I were to go back to Sirenuse, I'd seriously consider getting a cheaper room and just basking in the public areas.
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Intrepid

Interesting the values we all share isn't it? For my money if I paid THAT much for a hotel room I sure wouldn't be eating "potato chips" on the balcony..but at that price perhaps that's all that could be afforded.
Perhaps you would prefer to be introduced as, "This is JMP..who was smart enough to stay right next door to LeSireneuse and got an even better deal!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO