Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Layover in Munich - enough time to sightsee?

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Hi... My husband and I have a layover in Munich before flying to Rome. We get in at 7:55am and depart at 3:35pm. Is that enough time for us to clear customs/security etc and have some time to walk around the city? I know that its about 40 minutes each way on the S-bahn, but I'm just concerned with getting out and back into the airport.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM
rex

It seems like it should be. I'd consider a cab, but then, that reflects my unfamiliarity with the S-Bahn.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:46 PM

You should be able to see at least a bit of central Munich--the Marienplatz, the Frauenkirche, and perhaps the Residenz. That will whet your appetite enough to make you want to return, especially once you taste the breads.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:27 AM
MaureenB

We took a cab to the airport and paid about 90 euro one-way. We had too much luggage for the S-bahn, but were told it was a much better alternative than the cab. Traffic was pretty hectic and the S-bahn may have been faster. Check out the S-bahn schedule and see if you can do it. I'll bet you could get into Marianplatz at least.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:42 AM

If your luggage is checked straight thru, you should have little problems clearing immigration (passport control) - customs is virtually nothing but a walk thru out the exit.

Once you approach the S-bahn station at the airport, there will be a ticket agent before you take the escallator down to the station, where you can buy your tickets into town. Ask about the family plan -- it's good for the entire day for the both of you and is less expensive and less hassle than buying individual tickets. It is also good for both the U-bahn and S-bahn.

The S-bahn, #1 and #8 leave the airport and go in opposite directions. They both meet up at the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) where you have to transfer to the U-bahn to get to Marienplatz.

You should have about 4 hours to roam around, and I would start heading back about 1:00pm to make sure you make train connections and take into account any airport security lines.

Have a cold one for me.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM

There is a ticket booth in both terminals where you can buy your ticket, as well as complicated machines in the train station. Go to the desk, it will be easier, and they'll speak English.

You can take either line to Marienplatz (central square); the S8 will be marginally faster. You do NOT need to transfer at all, either of the S-trains will take you all the way to Marienplatz without any transfering necessary.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:29 AM

The S-Bahn will get you there and you will have time if everything is on schedule.

I have flown into Munich 3 times, and found customs to be no big deal.

When departing, passengers on intra European flights are not subjected to the same level of security as US bound ones.

When we flew to Finland from Munich, the security inspection was relatively quick.

Each time we have flown back to the US from Munich since 9/11, the German border police were very thorough.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:42 AM

chtiet is absolutely right. Either the S-8 or S-1 will take you directly to Marienplatz. That will even make it easier for you. I was thinking of another stop.