Reload this Page >

Layover in Athens airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:21 PM
Lori

Two questions and would appreciate any insights: <BR>1) we have a 4 hour layover (domestic) from N. Greece in catching flight to Naxos. Is there a place near the airport to go for lunch or something? <BR> <BR>2)On the way home we're hitting the Athens airport at about 2pm from the islands and our International flight leaves at 2am. So we have 12 hours. Any recommendations on item to do during this period? We will have already been in Athens for 1 1/2 day earlier in the trip and will have seen the Acropolis. <BR> <BR>Appreciate any help. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Lori

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Monica

I'd like to know too. Heading to Athens next week and have a 4.5 hour layover for our flight to Santorini. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Susan

We had several hours at the old airport last September - not a pleasant experience with all the smoke, etc. We didn't realize how close we were to the city and how cheap taxis were. (We were very tired after a long flight from Toronto.) However, if we had known, we would have stored our bags and just gone down to the Plaka for a nice lunch somewhere. Probably 4 hours isn't enough time for that, but maybe on your way back you could do something like that. It's maybe not the most exciting suggestion, but it makes for a break away from the airport.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Liz

Last summer we were in Greece and the Airport in Athens is horrible. We stored our luggage across the street from the terminal (around $2.00) and took a taxi to downtown Athens and shopped and ate there. It was great and Very cheap. I can't remember how much I think around $10 but Well worth it. Also keep in mind in Athens everything is very laid back and the flights to the island don't always go on time. On your way back do the same thing only find a cafe with a great view of the Accoplis (sp.) and have a late dinner and coffee before you know it, you'll have to leave for your flight. <BR>Have fun! Greece in WONDERFUL!!!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Linda

Are you folks talking about the new Athens airport or the old Athens airport. Don't have any information on either, but it seems to me you may be talking "apples and oranges" and I would hate to have Lori relying on outdated information. Not saying you are wrong, but just trying to make sure everybody is "singing off the same sheet of music".

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Susan

Linda, in my note, I did mention that it was the old airport. Liz would also be referring to the old airport. She's right however, that flights don't always leave on time. We spent a good 3 or 4 hours extra in Athens waiting for our flight to Rhodes. And if Lori has 12 hours to kill, that's just too long to spend in any airport, no matter how new it is.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Linda

Susan, my note was not for you or Liz so much as for Lori. The 12-hour layover especially may be in the new airport. And you're right, no airport is a great place to spend 12 hours but I would hate to have her count on being right outside the city only to find out it is much further out. Just trying to be helpful, not trying to "ding" anybody.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Frank

We have just returned from 4 weeks in Greece/Turkey and travelled in and out of the new Athens airport, Eleftheros Venizelos, 4 times transferring to the Islands, Istanbul etc. The new airport is a vast improvement on the old one I believe. It is large, well laid out and signage is clear. There are several information booths and I found the staff very courteous and helpful. Smoking is only allowed in designated areas but unfortunately those areas are the eating areas except for the no smoking section in McDonalds! On our first entry on the day after it opened we did notice that the no smoking restriction did not seem to be reinforced but were pleasantly surprised on our next visit 10 days later. Public announcement reminders that the airport is non smoking are broadcast frequently. <BR>As to your question about spending your layover time at the airport, it depends on how long you actually have to fill in. While we were not really inconvenienced by any major delays, we did wait half and hour for our luggage at the baggage carousel - the only time we actually checked any baggage as we travel very lightly. <BR>There is a very efficient express bus system from immediately outside the Arrival Hall doors. There are 3 routes -into Athens (Syntagma Square - close to Plaka), to Piraeus and to a metro station (forget the name) from which you can connect into the metro system. Cost is 1000 drachma which also gives you 24 hours free additional travel on buses, metro and train. Purchase ticket from the driver and validate in the orange machine on the bus. So you can, for instance, travel into Athens (depends on traffic but took us about 50 minutes)and back out to the airport the same day quite inexpensively. The bus we took did not stop between the airport and Syntagma Square and I doubt a taxi could have done it quicker. Taxis are plentiful but you need to be careful of attempts to include extras. We travelled from Athens to the airport early one morning before the buses started operating (they run every half hour but not during the night)and paid about 5200 drachma for the half hour trip which was reasonable. Other people we spoke to said they paid between 5000 - 7500 drachma. There is an efficient baggage storage service on the ground floor. Cost us 2100 drachma to store 3 small bags for 4 hours. We were facing a 6 hour wait betwen flights and filled in a few hours by catching the bus to Piraeus. Unfortunately there were traffic delays and we turned around and came straight back but the drive gave us the opportunity to see an area we hadn't seen before. The trip back took about 50 minutes. <BR>Regarding eating places at the airport, there is a food hall with a variety of hot and cold dishes, snack bars and a McDonalds. Food (apart from the McDonalds) is expensive. A cup of coffee is between 600 - 800 drachma. There will be hotels at the airport but I don't think they are open yet. <BR>There are a number of shops selling the usual airport fare if you're interested. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Monica

Hi Frank, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the info. What exchange rate did you get while in Greece?

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Monica

oops, I hit the "post" button too quickly. <BR> <BR>How early does the bus run from Athens to the airport? And where in Syntagma square is the bus stop? I am assuming there is a sign for the airport? thanks!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Frank

The earliest bus from Athens to the airport is about 6.20am I think. When leaving Athens the bus leaves from a different spot from where the drop off is but in the general area - closer to Parliament House on Amalias Street I think the street was. There are a number of bus stops on Amalias Street outside the National Gardens. The Airport Express stop is marked. Check with the driver on the inbound trip - they are very helpful and speak good English. There are brochures available on the buses which give you timetable and bus stop details - just ask for one. <BR>Re the exchange rate: I was interetsed in the currency exchange with Australian dollars rather than US - one AUD bought 192 drachmas when we left a few days ago - can't remember the US rate, I'm sorry. I only used ATM's so don't really know what rate I was getting. Make sure you get some low denomination notes and coins as soon as you can as we found a great reluctance to change some notes - even 1000 drachma (about $5 AUD, less US) on some occasions! <BR>Good luck!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Lori

Thanks for the responses. <BR> <BR>Just would like to ask for a little clarification: <BR> <BR>1)Do any flight run out of the old airport? eg domestic flights from the North or to the islands (flying to Naxos) <BR> <BR>2)I wasn't clear on the travel time to Athens or Pireus if that was an option. Was it about a half an hour each way and approx. 50 min. round trip or? Is Athens or Pireus closer to the airport? <BR> <BR>3) Also are there ATM's in the new airport??? <BR>Thanks for any help in clearing up the fogginess! And sorry for so many questions!

Old May 7th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Arin

To Frank; Thank you so much for sharing the information about transportation to and from new Athens airport. You can't believe how little information is out there on it. <BR> <BR>The Greek Tourist Information Center in New York is clueless. They told me it was outside of the city, but couldn't tell me if there was an express bus to Athens. The 2001 tour books still refer to the old airport, so your information is the best yet on the new airport. Thanks again for the info

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Ursula

The new airport's website is: <BR> <BR>www.athensairport-2001.gr

Old May 9th, 2001, 03:04 AM
Frank

To Lori <BR>Sorry - I hadn't checked the forum for a few days. Re your questions about the old airport - I don't think any flights operate from there anymore but I couldn't be certain. We travelled to the islands from the new airport and I understood that all flights operate from there. <BR>Travel times to Athens from the airport depends on the time of day and traffic. It takes about 40 - 50 minutes one way. Time to Piraeus I think would be similar but as I mentioned we struck traffic problems going to Piraeus and it took closer to one and a half hours. The return journey was about 40 minutes - less traffic problems. Athens is preparing for the Olympics so there is quite a bit of road construction occurring. <BR>There are a number of ATM's and electronic money exchange machines in the new airport. <BR>