Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lay Over in Rome with Kids - Help me plan!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are going to have about 10 hours in Rome this August. We are traveling with 4 kids ages 9 - 11 years old. We arrive in the morning, and leave again at 11 pm that same night.

How far is the airport from some major sites?

And, what would you suggest for a single day of sight seeing with the kids?

Thanks,
Laurie
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
J62

Rome's Fiumicino/Leonardo da Vinci airport (FCO) is about 30miles west of Rome. Train will take about 30min.

A couple of important thing to keep in mind that may greatly reduce your time/flexibility.

1. From where are you arriving? It can take 1 - 1.5hr+ to get through immigration & wait for baggage claim if you are arriving from the US.

2. What do you plan to do with your bags? There is a luggage check at Rome termini train station.

3. When do you need to be back at FCO? It's not the most efficient airport, either at checkin or security, so if they say 2hrs ahead, they mean it for a reason.

What should you see? A lot depends on your interests. For a 1 day trip I'd avoid anything that has a line, which would include Vatican museums/Sistine chapel.

You could try this itin, but it would be, in my opinion, impossible to do all of this in one day, find time to eat, take pictures, enjoy the sights and sounds, and actually have time to remember anything. Pick 2 of the items below and you'd have a very full & tiring day.

1. From Termini train station, go to Forum/Colosseum (bus or taxi). Spend a couple of hrs there

2. Taxi to St. Peters. Enter the basilica (there is a line for security, but it moves quickly). Go up to the dome & roof if you wish, and visit the Popes' crypt.

3. Find your way back to the historic center and visit Piazza Navonna and Trevi Fountain before returning to the airport by train.

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM

ostia antica.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM

We just got back from a great trip to Rome. Had success with the popular #110 "Hop on Hop Off" bus. I think you'd find it perfect for a family sightseeing adventure. Sorry I don't have specific info on airport to Central Rome, but its not far and I'm sure there are good options. Here's the bus link:

http://www.romeguide.it/trambus/110openeng.htm
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM

i believe there is a hop on tour bus right at termini station to the right when you exit.

at least there was some type of rome tour bus there i recommended a friend with same situation look into.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM

I had the same reaction as Sea Urchin--you might want to try Ostia Antica, the ancient port city with extensive ruins rather than heading into Rome.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
J62

I think Ostia Antica is a great destination for those that have already been to Rome and want to experience ancient ruins in more depth. It is closer to Rome than Pompeii, and has a lot to offer history buffs.

If you have 10hrs and have never been to Rome, I would not advise making Ostia Antica your single destination. Kids 9 & 11 will have had enough of Ostia Antica in much less than 10hrs (like in about 30-60min). It would be a shame to be <20miles from the center of one of the most exciting cities in the world and not actually visit Rome.

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM

I absolutely agree Rome is one of the most exciting cities in the world. I am just having trouble imagining enjoying a brief trip into the city from the airport with 4 kids ages 9 to 11.
I am undoubtedly influenced by a less than pleasant family stop over in Paris some years ago. (We were catching an afternoon train from Paris to Avignon and had some time before it left, but the kids were tired and cranky.)

If you go into Rome I think trying to see the ancient Roman sites plus the Vatican plus the Piazza Navonna/Piazza della Rotunda area is too much. I'd cut out the Vatican.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM

Remember it is going to be very, very hot. You may be lucky and have cooler weather in the 80s but you are more likely to have weather nearing 100. I am wondering if you are arriving from a long transatlantic flight as that would certainly color my recommendation. I would take a taxi or train into the historical center; Piazza Navona or the Pantheon. Everything there is a lot to see within 10 or 15 minute walking distance. For a hot and tired family there are any number of places to intersperse sights,resting and eating; fountains, ancient sites, churches with amazing are and most important for kids, great pizza and gelatto.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM

I'd just take a taxi to the Colosseum and then another taxi around lunchtime to the Pantheon area. Rest, have lunch and stroll around the area... walk to the Trevi fountain and throw in a coin. Take a taxi to St. Peters and go to the top of the Basilica for the view.
Plenty of time left for a gelato!

Don't try to do too much as it'll be hot and allow plenty of time to get back to the airport.

If you arrive on a Sunday I'd skip the Vatican.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

I take it that you arrive sometime around noon, or perhaps the 10 hrs is in addition to the time you have calculated for flights.

Anyway, assuming noon. Here is how you can see a bunch in a short period of time.

Have Rome Shuttle Limousine meet you at the airport, 50 euros for 6 (I think). Have them take you to Termini Station, where you can drop off your bags. Now it is about 1pm.

At termini, buy the 1 day metro card for each of you.

From Termini, take the metro to the Colosseo stop. Walk around the outside of the Colosseum, Arch of Constantine and walk up the Via Sacra to the Arch of Titus.. Don't bother going inside the Colosseum.

Don't go into the Roman Forum, but go back to Via Imperiali and walk up to Piazza Venezia. The Roman Forum is on your left, the Imperial Forums are on your right. Now that they charge an entrance fee to go into the forums, just view them from the street level.

At the top of the Capitoline, climb the cordonata to Michelangelo's Piazza Campidoglio. This is an amazing architectural design.

From behind the Palazzo Senatorio you'll be able to see almost all of the Roman Forum.

It is now about 3pm.

Leave Campidoglio and go down to the bus stops at Venezia. Look for the 87 bus going towards Cavour or the 40 bus going towards Piazza Pia.

With the 87, after you cross the Tiber (maybe a 5-10 minute ride total) get off at Piazza Cavour, I believe it is the second stop after the Tiber. In front of you is Castel San Angelo. Walk to the Castle, to the Tiber river. You'll now see St. Peter's.

If you take the 40, you get off at Piazza Pia, right between the castle and the Vatican.

Once again, don't bother going inside the castel. You should go to St. Peter's, at least the square. The kids will love to see the optical illusion of Bernini's columns.

From the Vatican, walk back past the castle, keeping the Tiber on your right. You'll next see a really gaudy building. This the Palazzo di Guistizia (palace of justice). Walk behind it and you'll find the Cavour bus stop. Catch the 87 bus here.

Now it is about 5-6pm.

Take the 87 bus 4 stops. When you get off on Renascimento, Piazza Navonna will be on the other side of the building you are standing next to. The kids may or may not care about Navonna. I'd advise to cross the street, take any of the streets heading away from the bus stop. You will probably also see a sign for the Pantheon. That is where we are heading.

Walk to the Pantheon. It may or may not be open. If it is, be sure to go inside.

Now it depends on the time. If it is around 6 pm, walk over to Trevi fountain. To get there, walk away from the Pantheon, towards the right. Take the street at the Hotel, turn right. This is Via Pastini. It becomes Via Pietra. Be sure to look for the fantastic wood shop about 4 blocks from the Pantheon. Keep on this street, it changes names a couple of more times. About 4 more blocks and you are at Trevi Fountain.

If at the Pantheon it is close to 7 pm, then you need to get back to Termini. Standing right in front of the Pantheon, look left, you'll see a small alley. This is Via Seminario. Follow this about 4 blocks to Via del Corso. Cross the street and look for the bus stop. You'll want to take the 175 bus to Termini.

If you made it to Trevi, then walk back to Via del Corso on the small street the runs in front of the fountain, the same one you took to get to the fountain. Once again, look for the 175 bus stop heading towards Termini. The stop will be on the same side of the street as Trevi.

From Termini, you can then take the Leonardo Express back out to the airport. Or you can pre-arrange with Rome Shuttle Limo to pick you up at Termini. You need to be out of Termini no later than 7:30pm.

If you do this itinerary, check your time and don't push it.

Have fun

dave

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

Sounds great daveesl but do they get to eat or drink?
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow, these responses are super - I will go over everything more carefully and think through the recommendations.

Our main luggage will be checked through to our connecting flight that evening, but we will have some carry on. Is there a luggage check at the airport?

We arrive at about 10 am, depart at 11 pm the same night. I know it will be a long day, but we'll just have to break it up with pizza and gelato!

More questions as I process the ideas,
Thanks
Laurie
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

I don't think you'll have as much time in the city as you think. After clearing immigration and getting your luggage, then getting into Rome, and leaving enough time to be back at the airport by 8:30, you don't really have 10 hours in Rome.

I can't imagine being able to dave's marathon with four young children after an overnight flight. Just too much. I would just pick a couple of things, maybe the Colosseum and then go towards the Trevi Fountain, which isn't that far from the Pantheon, then not much farther to the Piazza Navona. Have lunch along the way. Then either get a shuttle to pick you up just outside Piazza Navnona or take either the 40 or 64 bus from Corso Vittorio Emanuale (out the south end of Piazza Navona) to Termini and then the train back to the airport. There is a tobacco shop right near the bus stop on Vittorio Emanuale where you can get bus tickets.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM

Susan is correct. I kind of meant that in a "perfect" world you could possibly do that. But, you can use it to get an idea of how to get around.

Kids 9-11 have a lot of energy, I know , on our last trip the grandkids were 9 and 6 and they had no problem keeping up with us.

dave
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM

I agree with those who said just check out the Colosseum and Piazza Navona and maybe Trevi Fountain. You could duck into the Capitoline Museums if you need a bathroom or are fainting from the heat. Be aware that some things in Rome are closed between noon and 3:00 (more or less) so don't traipse to a famous church or something just to be disappointed.

Keep a very close eye on your kids near traffic or in the narrow streets or they may be run down in a flash.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM

Hello gidlaurie, if your children, or even you adults are tired and need some relaxing time think about going to the Borghese Gardens to get away from the hectic street life of Rome. Here is one website with some information you might want to review:
http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo...esegardens.htm
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, just re-read all of your wonderful postings. Also, truly enjoyed SusanP's trip report - a separate posting - learned a lot! Dave, your tour plan is thorough and I understood that it was "in an ideal world". I appreciate the advice on how to view the colosseum and forum from outside/above.

What do others think about the colosseum - is it worth entering with the kids??? Or enough to see it from outside???

My current thinking is airport to Termini, colloseum/forum, Piazza Navona/Trevi fountain/Pantheon, gelatto and pizza. Back to airport.

We did one of these quick visits last year in Madrid so the kids are used to it - the ice cream helps!

Thanks,
Laurie
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM

I think your plan sounds pretty good for your short stay.
If you won't have luggage with you in the city and are taking a shuttle from the airport, no need to stop at the Termini--you can go straight to the Forum/Colosseum area. There are tourist info sites at both the Termini and the Forum Via dei Fori Imperiali but if you can get a map before you arrive it will obviously help you with planning.

As for going in the Colosseum, it is impressive inside and gives you an idea of how the shows were staged but takes more time to visit that way. The kids will see people dressed up as gladiators outside, wanting you to take pictures w/ them. You have to buy a combined ticket for the Forum, Palatine hill and Colosseum. I am not sure where the best place to buy these tickets (w/o waiting in line) is now but maybe others will be able to give insight on this. If you go up to the Palatine at the entrance from the Forum near the Arch of Titus you get good views of the Forum from the gardens.

The Forum itself is harder to understand/visualize than the Colosseum -- kids will probably like the triumphal arches, though, especially if you have information about the pictures with you to point out different features

A few things you might want to see in the general area of Piazza Navonna and Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon):
there is a cat sanctuary at Area Sacro Argentina--you can see cats lounging around the temples in the excavated area there

Bernini's sculpture of an elephant supports an obelisk in front of Santa Maria sopra Minerva right around the corner from the Pantheon

There is a large marble foot (from a colossal statue) "the Pie de Marmor" just down the street from the street from the obelisk

The church of San Luigi dei Francesci (between Pantheon and P.Navonna) has three spectacular Caravaggio paintings of St. Matthew, an easy way to see some great art work for free. You need coins to turn on the lights to illuminate the paintings

The Piazza Navonna itself will have portrait artists, people dressed as statues, sometimes street performers

You've already figured out that gelato will be a big attraction

If you throw your coins in the Trevi fountain, you'll be able to return some time for a longer stay

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Good plan and great extras from vttraveler.
Yes, I think it's worth it to go into the Colosseum. It's impressive inside and you get a much better idea of the size of the place plus great views as you look out.
We went in November and there was just a short line which we jumped as there was a separate entry for those with Roma passes ( it's not worth purchasing one for a day trip).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -