Latest on Covid requirements to return to US from Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are hoping to finally fly "overseas" again come end of April from US to Paris, returning 12th of May. From what I am reading, since both of us have both shots and both boosters we should be able to fly to Paris on the strength of our Vaccination cards showing that. But I think we will need to show proof of a negative covid test within 24 hours of our anticipated return. Is that correct? And what kind of test must it have been? If we get on a plane with test info timed to be within 24 hours of our arrival and the flight is delayed for some reason, will we be denied entry?

I apologize if this makes me sound like I'm expecting others to do my work for me, but the more I read trying to figure this out for myself, the more confused I become. I'm hoping for responses from some who have been there, done that, recently. I will be enormously grateful to anyone who can share up to date info.

Last edited by JulieVikmanis; Apr 7th, 2022 at 11:22 AM. Reason: missing info
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:49 AM

Here is the latest from the CDC, which has the details about what you need to do to return to the US - and it gets updated whenever anything changes, so you can always check the web site for the latest info: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

Right now, the rule is that everyone needs to have a negative test no more than one day before departure - the one day requirement rather than 24-hours is to simplify things so that people don't get caught in a technicality if they have a flight delay or something. So, the day before you are to leave, just go to a pharmacy and get a rapid test. The airline is tasked with ensuring that all passengers have a negative test before boarding your flight to the US.

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:50 AM

And while we are on the subject, here is the site with info about what is required to enter France: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...ions-answered/

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:51 AM

Returning to the US requires a test the day prior to departure - it’s not a 24 hour window. So a delay on the day you fly won’t make any difference. It should be an antigen test since they are quick and, I believe, relatively easy to find places that perform them in Paris. I haven’t been since the pandemic, so others who’ve been there recently can advise you on where. But you shouldn’t have any difficulty.

Last edited by progol; Apr 7th, 2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick responses. This is most encouraging.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 12:16 PM

I haven't been to France yet either (leaving in just under a month - yay), but reports from others who have gone are that most pharmacies have rapid antigen tests, so it is easy to get the test with results within 20-30 minutes. I would probably just pop into the nearest pharmacy and ask - if they don't have tests, they will know which ones do - or ask at the hotel - I am sure the people there will know as well. Our last stop in France will be Strasbourg, then we take an afternoon train to CDG airport, stay overnight, and then take a morning flight home. Our plan is to get a test at a pharmacy in Strasbourg before taking the train to CDG. We can also get a test at CDG that day or the next morning, but I figure that it would be just as easy to get the test in Strasbourg since we will have plenty of time and then we'll have it and not have to worry about potential lines at pharmacies at CDG.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 02:42 PM

Hmm, hope to get to northern Europe in Sept/Oct which is worlds away (in many forms), but since I have two PCR tests and two rapid antigen tests in my home that are unused (PCR were offered free from our state and the rapids were for sale at our grocery store), would they suffice for testing upon return to US? I do not think that this has been addressed in this forum, if so, I apologize and appreciate the link. We were going to use them if we suspected we might have had Covid, but luckily we are fine, even though we are seniors.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 03:31 PM

aliced - The CDC site (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html) has all the information about testing for returning to the US. As you say, Sept/Oct is some time away, so the requirements could have changed by then, but the CDC site is updated with the latest info, so you can check back there before your trip. Currently, it says this about self-administered tests:

"You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:
  • The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) OR the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.
Some countries may restrict importation of tests that are not authorized or registered there. If you are considering bringing a U.S.-authorized test with you for use outside of the United States, contact authorities at your destination for information before you travel."

Old Apr 8th, 2022, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the useful information.

We, too, have home tests which we received a while ago. Check yours. Two of ours appear to have expired already.
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 04:53 AM

Please know that the home tests you received from the government are not eligible for return travel to the US. The only self test that meet the criteria has to be a monitored one, ordered before you leave the US and with the telehealth app download prior to leaving.
https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...pack?hsLang=en

or the 2-test kit:
https://store.optum.com/shop/product...st-kit-2-pack/

Old Apr 8th, 2022, 09:17 AM

great info. thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 11:21 AM

The government issued IHealth tests are ok to use for travel, but the fine print is, you need a laptop to do the test.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service

Old Apr 9th, 2022, 02:38 PM

Julie, we will be in Paris at the same time as you. We just purchased The Ellume tests which are approved by the CDC for entry back into the US along with the video visit. We are using the Azova site for the telehealth proctoring. The link is: https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/. I checked with customer service at Azova and as long as you access the site through a web browser you are fine. This means you can do it through a tablet and not need a laptop. They also have an app which I have installed on both our phones but I don't know if it will be totally necessary.

We are scheduling the telehealth appt for the morning before we leave (so the 11th). This is done via browser as well.

Don't blame you for being confused - it has been quite the mess. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks deb. Very useful.

I also found some good information at https://thepointsguy.com/new/lessons...sitive-abroad/

Old Apr 10th, 2022, 10:05 AM

The three of us just returned from Lisbon last week, used the proctored Abbott Binax tests and it was very easy, and accepted. Good luck!
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan2go
The three of us just returned from Lisbon last week, used the proctored Abbott Binax tests and it was very easy, and accepted. Good luck!
DId you need a printout or was just a digital verification accepted?
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 01:44 PM

I asked this on a separate thread but thought I would ask here since this thread is active

what does one do if tested positive prior to return to US. Obviously contact the airlines…but what about hotel. Are there specific hotels in Paris you need to quarantine at or do you just book any hotel? Do you have to notify a particular agency in France? Since you are quarantining generally do hotels assist with obtaining food and basic necessities?
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 07:48 AM

Progol, we asked the hotel to print it out, so I don’t know if digital would have been ok.
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 04:10 AM

Well, desire to get to northern Europe in Sept/Oct which is universes away (in many structures), however since I have two PCR tests and two quick antigen tests in my home that are unused (PCR were offered liberated from our state and the rapids were available to be purchased at our supermarket), could they get the job done for testing upon return to US? I don't feel that this has been tended to in this gathering, provided that this is true, I am sorry and value the connection. We planned to utilize them assuming that we thought we could have had Covid, yet fortunately we are fine, despite the fact that we are seniors.
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by alexwilliamson9805
Well, desire to get to northern Europe in Sept/Oct which is universes away (in many structures), however since I have two PCR tests and two quick antigen tests in my home that are unused (PCR were offered liberated from our state and the rapids were available to be purchased at our supermarket), could they get the job done for testing upon return to US? I don't feel that this has been tended to in this gathering, provided that this is true, I am sorry and value the connection. We planned to utilize them assuming that we thought we could have had Covid, yet fortunately we are fine, despite the fact that we are seniors.
These tests are not acceptable for returning to the US. The only self-tests that are acceptable for return are those that are monitored by a technician. These tests must be purchased and the monitoring app needs to be set up before leaving the US. Here is a link to the product I’m referring to; there are 1 or 2 other tests that are used as well.
https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -