Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Late Fall Trip to Tuscany - Good time to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Mark

Hi, <BR> <BR>Thinking of going to Tuscany, maybe Umbria or Lake Como area sometime either late September or early October. <BR> <BR>Anyone have advice regarding whether this is a good or bad time to go there in terms of <BR> <BR>a. Weather <BR> <BR>b. amount of other tourists <BR> <BR>c. other thoughts/issues <BR> <BR>Also, do people recommend having rental car going through Tuscany/Umbria/Lake Como or?? <BR> <BR>Any other advice also welcome! <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Mark

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:14 PM
cmt

I was in Tuscany, including parts very close to Umbria, in early October 1997. I thought it was a very good time to go. The weather was unseasonably hot (low 80's?)in Florence and Cortona, pleasantly mild (70's?) most days in other places, chilly and windy one day in the woods, cool and rainy one day, and generally slightly cool in the evenings. It was fairly crowded with foreigners from all over (esp. USA, Japan, Germany) and not easy to get a hotel reservation in Florence, extremely difficult to get a hotel reservation in Lucca, jammed with German tourists in San Gimignano, busy with Italian day-trippers and vacationers in Pienza, and not crowded at all in Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, and various sites in the countryside.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:16 PM
ellen

I was there last October, mid-month. Out of ten days it rained a couple, but otherwise the weather was beautiful. Sunny, temps in the 70s. There were tourists but I'm sure far fewer than in more popular months. Definitely rent a car; you can't really see Tuscany without one, in my opinion.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:07 AM
steve

October is a great time to go!!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:32 AM
debbie

Hi all: <BR> <BR>Can Ellen, cmt and Steve advise: <BR> <BR>We too plan this area for mid Oct. to late. I've wavered back and forth- summer clothes or bit heavier. Want to travel light. Know no sleeve tops will be the norm as it is now in my NY summer but will sandles be OK? <BR> <BR>May not seem important to most but when I go into loafer types (non sandels) I then need orthic foot piece, stockings and such. Want to travel light . . .

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:39 AM
xxx

Hi Deb <BR> <BR>I need to know the answer to your clothes question, too. What on earth should I pack to span the summer-fall season in that area? I will be in Tuscany and Umbria for most of October. <BR> <BR>This is where I stand right now: Want to pack light for sure in order to bring back Italian goodies in my one 29" wheeled bag. I understand about layering, and plan to take basic pants and skirts with interchangeable tops. OK. So do I take T shirts or sweaters, or some of both? Can I expect mostly 70-80 degree days or 50-60 degree days, or both? Do I slant items toward late summer or early winter? Inquiring minds need to know.... <BR> <BR>Any advice will be appreciated!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Ian

In view of the time you are going have you thought of participating in the wine harvest - I know that Fattoria Pagnana (www.fattoria-pagnana.com) organizes a fairly light morning in the vineyards followed by lunch followed by a themed cookery course (i.e. using the grape in cooking). Try contacting them on [email protected]

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 10:43 AM
steve

October in Tuscany is very much like October in New Jersey, where I come from originally. It tends to be on the cool side but can be warm. The last time we were there, we had sunny weather for 9 days straight, but it can and does rain. If you're used to a cold climate, you can manage with light tops during the day and a light jacket in the evening. As for footwear, sandals will be fine during the day, but don't forget that it does rain. <BR> <BR>For more information, (not about footwear), check out my web site for a description one of our trips to Tuscany. <BR>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Liz

XXX--you wrote "Want to pack light for sure in order to bring back Italian goodies in my one 29" wheeled bag." <BR> <BR>A 29" bag is anything but light!! <BR> <BR>Liz <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 04:34 PM
xxx

Thanks for your help, Liz. I'm aware that a 29" bag is large; however, the budget does not provide for a smaller one at this time. I would like to leave room in it for the items I am hoping to bring back from Italy.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 04:58 PM
zz-top

xxx- <BR> <BR>As you're going to Tuscany/Umbria, I hope that you're renting a car and not planning to do much train travel --- cuz a 29-inch suitcase is HUGE & I can't imagine lugging that monster on/off any public transport. <BR> <BR>That being said, pack as light as possible and leave ample room to take advantage of your large-sized bag and bring back lots of goodies! Every time I go to Italy, I swear I won't take more than a couple changes of underwear so I can cart back more stuff!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Judy

Please note: weather around Lake Como area can be quite unpredictable. Once in June, another time in mid-Septemper while I was there, the temperature dropped to low 50.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 05:32 PM
ellen

Based on my experience last October, I would be more concerned about being prepared for rain rather than cold weather. I brought a wool sweater and a fleece jacket and never wore them both together; weather was in the 70s during the day and even at night it wasn't that cold. I wouldn't bring sandals; too summery looking and not sturdy enough for the many cobblestoned streets you'll be walking. Better a pair of good walking shoes and perhaps something a bit dressier.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:08 PM
suit

Re this issue about 29" bag being "huge" - yes, it is large, but not necessarily completely unmanageable - and anyway, different people have different ideas of what they feel they need to take with them when they travel. Hubby and I travel frequently on business, for extended periods of time, and unfortunately packing light is usually not an option for us personally on those trips. We travel with 29" and 32" (gasp!) wheeled suitcases, if you are fit I don't think it is THAT difficult getting them on & off public transport - ours have been repeatedly on the Eurostar to Paris, on the Eurostar to Brussels, on the Tube in London, on the train to Hull, etc...

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:15 PM
xxx

Thanks for your viewpoint, suit. This particular bag has been to Europe three times now, including one previous trip to Italy. It's been on European trains and in a rental car, just as it will be on the upcoming trip.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Mark

Thanks to all who've posted so far...really appreciate the advice. <BR> <BR>Any other advice is welcome too! <BR> <BR>Mark

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:42 PM
debbie

In light of all previous discussions, is there a weather site to give us October travelers a 5-day outlook for Tuscany, as our USA news does for our areas each night?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:51 PM
maureen

We were in Tuscany and the lakes 3 years ago and it rained almost the whole time, a raincoat is a must, and long sleeved tops and long pants.. a sweater and some short sleeves too, even if it doesn't rain, it will be cool in the evenings.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:54 PM
maureen

sorry, I meant we were there in the last 2 weeks of October..October and November are their fall rain months..

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:07 PM
zz-top

Several websites to review temps/rainfall/etc. "Wunderground" also provides historical data. <BR> <BR>http://www.wunderground.com <BR> <BR>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/world.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/Europe/ <BR> <BR>