Search

l'astrance

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 12:40 PM
css
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
l'astrance

Going to Paris, 5 nights in July. I was able to get a reservation at L'astrance but only for my first evening. Per the concierge "the restaurant propose only a gastronomic menu at 150 euros per person without wine for the evening". Does this mean I won't have a choice of what I eat? I don't eat meat or fowl but do eat seafood and fish. Plus I'm not a huge eater, in other words several courses would be too much for me. I'd like to eat here but perhaps its a waste for me? (300 euros plus wine is expensive for us.) Thanks for the opinions
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Astrance offers primarily vegetarian and fish meals; the chef gave up on meat (and usually fowl) several years back. The gastronomic menu should offer choices for you within each course so that you don't necessarily have to take what you get, but sometimes that's the case. Have you checked the restaurant's web site in case menus are posted?

If you're not a big eater, a gastronomic menu (also called a tasting menu) might not be the thing for you. Usually you get one course after another, but they're generally small offerings.

I suspect you might prefer other restaurants. Le Dôme is one known for its fish and shellfish preparations, and there you could order à la carte instead of an entire menu.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:34 PM

A gastronomic (AKA tasting) menu usually means that you get what the chef has put together as a sampling of his or her best dishes. If you're not a huge eater and don't eat meat or fowl this menu is probably not for you. You might, as an alternative, go to Le Dôme, which is known for its seafood--there you could order just what you want.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Please ignore my initial response, which was posted in error. I was actually talking about L'Arpège.

If you decide not to go to L'Astrance you will make people hoping for a reservation very happy--it's a touch one to get.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:43 PM

I suggest that a long costly meal the night you arrive in Paris (assuming you're flying from overseas) will be a waste of food and money. As an aside, two separate friends have reported being very disappointed in Astrance. If you'd like to have a special seafood/fish dinner and are willing to spend that level of money, you might consider the Michelin 2 star Le Divellec on rue de l'Université where it meets the Champs de Mars. But whatever you choose, try not to do it your first night.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Especially if you're arriving on a Sunday, when fish will not be as fresh.