Lastditch Fling for Fifty Year Olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All! I just discovered Fodors and I have enjoyed reading all of your information yesterday and today.

My friend and I are in our fifties but young looking and acting! We want to have a last ditch good time in Western Europe. We have both been there when we were married but now that we are divorced we want some fun before we trip over the hill.

Don't laugh! This isn't a lonely heart plea but a real question. If you were in our not so sensible shoes where would you go and why?
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM

If it were me, Paris or Italy ( Rome/Florence)
50s is just getting started, I expect you will be asking this question worded something like, Fling for 60 year olds in some years LOL
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM

OK, questions:

Why last ditch? You won't go again?

For how long?

Time of year?

Budget?

Where have you already been and what did you like/dislike then? What are your interests, generally?
Beaches? Shopping? Theatre? Art Museums? Historic sites? Cities vs countryside?

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM

For a really "good" time (depending on your definition) head for Amsterdam, Berlin, or Copenhagen. I'm older than you and not about to be worried about being "over the hill" so a trip to Europe should be a real boost for you and damn the costs!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM

You're in your fifties and consider yourselves over the hill? Why, you're in your prime! Go to Italy! Italian men appreciate women (I'm assuming that you're women) of any age! Keep us posted on your travel plans. And welcome to Fodors!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:24 AM

cosmo, if you mean what I think you mean, there can be only one answer: Italy. Italian men do not consider age to be a barrier to flirting.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:26 AM
rex

Paris.

But see my comments about giving you ANY advice without knowing more about what motivates you to want to go to Europe.

In any event, I trust you will have many more ditches to fling yourself across in the second fifty years of your lives.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:27 AM
rex

Whoops - - forgot to tell you where to read these recent comments I made - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34547907
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow thank you so far!
We thought "last ditch" because we can't see ourselves telling a man we just met that we are in our 60's, saying we are in our 50's is shocking enough for us. It is encouraging though that you say you are still kicking and older than us.

We both have visited Venice and Lake Como with our ex's oddly enough. I should have been more specific: we like history, art, food, looking at beaches if they are pretty. I would think a city would be livier, I don't think either one of us want to sit and stare at each other in the country or take long walks together either, we are long time friends and we are ladies.

Italy seems to get the most votes?
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM

"We thought "last ditch" because we can't see ourselves telling a man we just met that we are in our 60's, saying we are in our 50's is shocking enough for us."

My advice: A gentleman would never ask, so why would you tell? If you look 45 instead of 50, work it, girl!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM

I vote for a Rome/Paris combo.

But, given your posting, I suspect you two will have a great time wherever you go. Enjoy!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Yes Marilyn we are fighting gravity as best as we can: working out, eating healthily, etc.

Yes Rex we want to fling ourselves as long as we can. We both were caregivers to elderly parents, kids are grown and now we are free to visit Europe.

I am going to buy some Italian travel books on Amazon now!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Cosmopolitan - Enjoy yourself. Have a fling, but don't consider it a last ditch fling.

I have only been to London and Paris and have found that the men are not nearly as concerned with age or weight for that matter as they are in the U.S.

Italy is my next destination and I can't wait.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

And Paris too!!!!!

Now I am getting excited, I'll have to call my friend and tell her about your thoughts.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Cosmo - Rome!!!! And Marilyn is right, Italian men are not hung up on age. Older women are "appreciated"
If you have the time (not sure how long your trip will be for) you could enjoy Rome and than perhaps take a trip down the southern coast.

Fifty is just getting started dear one!
So don't panic, LOL. You have a long ways to go.

And it sure sounds like you both deserve a good fun vacation.

Enjoy your trip planning.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First off... Hopefully this trip will get you over thinking that <50> & <last ditch> belong in the same sentence!!

As an equally surprised to be 50-something female I'd suggest Amsterdam, Paris and then maybe Venice, Florence, or Rome. I don't know how wild a time you will have but if you're not enjoying yourself enough just order some more wine!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Column A
London
Paris
Rome (since you've been to Venice)

Column B
Prague
Berlin
Amsterdam
Nice, Monaco and Provence (you'd have to do some driving)
Greece (Athens plus an island or two)

mix and match
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM

If you are city people I suggest Rome/Florence. I would stay in one country because for me I like to be able to speak the language at least a little and would concentrate on learning one foregin tongue, not two.

I have been to Paris a few times but apparently am more of a Mediterranean gal myself as Italy has always been my favorite country since my first visit in 1975.

As an almost 50, well travelled female, I think Italy is a great choice overall. It is just beautiful overall, the food is great and the art and architecture superb.

I also enjoyed my time in Berlin but was there in 1975 when Germany was still split and then again in 2002 but only for 2 days, not enough to really get a feel for the city.

Now Amsterdam is on my list of must visit cities and I am going to do my best to get there in 2005/6. I would love to indulge my wild side!

In 3 weeks I leave for Munich and Florence, an easy combo by plane. I speak German and spent time there as a student and just really enjoyed myself.

So many wonderful choices that you really cannot go wrong.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Cosmo, my take on that is you just say you're "forty something". Afterall, forty twelve is forty something!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Who was it that observed that women of fine quality are like wines of fine quality -- they improve with age...but may require a cork. Hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -