Reload this Page >

Last Minute Tips

Search

Last Minute Tips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 06:36 PM
Timothy

Last Minute Tips

We are Leaving for a three week vacation in France, Swizterland and maybe Italy in exactly 10 days. I've been there (in Paris) once before on a tour. This time we are going on our own with no real itenerary. Does anyone have any last minute suggestions?

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 02:21 AM
Juan

Just ten days? Stick to 2 countries then (I won't even try 2 myself but it looks like you have your plans). Better to see a few things in depth then many things superficially IMO. <BR>I could easy spend 10 days in Paris (and often have spent far longer than that there). <BR>Relax. Take you time to savour the sights and sounds of the country you are in. Meet local people. Walk in the parks. Eat long meals in cafes. Don't see too many cathedrals. Ride the subways and buses. Stay in pensions or zimmers so you can met other Europeans and not just more Americans. Smile, laugh, enjoy yourself. Sometimes things will go "wrong"....but learn from them and go on with a sense of humor. Be spontaneous.....don't plan everything. Be open minded. Take long walks through the streets of the cities. Wear comfortable shoes.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 10:52 AM
Monica

I agree with Juan. For a 10 day trip, I personally would choose only one country! You'll be moving too fast for those 2-3 countries and won't SEE them as I believe one should. Try to plan for one country, then promise yourself more time the next time and more trips! <BR> <BR>I love to walk when I'm in cities such as Paris or Rome. I've been able to see more than if I were to take the bus or metro. Use the bus/metro when tired or if you need to get across town quickly. <BR> <BR>If you spend time in Paris, get the museum pass, which lets you into 50 or so monuments/museums without having to wait in LONG lines. I'm going to France next month and plan to get the 3-day pass. It's also good for Versailles. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the outdoor cafes and watch the European world go by. Enjoy the different sights and sounds you'll encounter. <BR> <BR>Pack light! <BR> <BR>Remember that you are in another country and that you'll encounter different cultures, ideas, and values. <BR> <BR>I'm sure there are other last minute tips I could provide, but you get the idea. <BR> <BR>I was in Italy last May, so if you have any questions, email me. <BR> <BR>ENJOY! <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 10:57 AM
martha

Timothy is *leaving* in ten days. The trip itself is three weeks long. <BR>Yes, I'd still probably stick to two countries max, but people who have a lot of useful advice to offer will be most useful if they read carefully (I don't mean on this question specifically).

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 11:23 AM
Richard

Timothy, What is your means of transport,it makes a difference, are you driving, on a train, bicycling? What is your starting point. In any case you really need to rough out an itinerary. If you're driving, and assuming Paris is your start, drive to the coast, Normandy, Brittany and then the Riviera. Continue south through Italy until you need to turn around and come back. Switzerland would be my choice of the "third" country. I love mountains and the sea and Italy has it all.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 12:03 PM
elvira

Have you started to pack? Well, put half of it back...even if you've a car, you really don't want to haul all that stuff around...the adage about taking half as many clothes and twice the money is a good one. <BR>Eat well, get rest (the advice about dawdling at a cafe is EXCELLENT), drink lots of water (ok sounds weird, and I'm a desert dweller who NEVER drinks water, but I do when travelling...it tastes better than when I'm home and I think it's easier to get dehydrated when you're 'having fun'...also altitude will dry you out). Don't worry; everything works out. Smile, make friends, mix museums and serious sights with the frivolous and silly. Plan your next trip while you're there....

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 05:47 PM
Timothy

Thank you Martha for being the only one to realize that I'm "leaving in 10 days for three weeks". Starting point is Paris then by car to Switzerland. A traveling companion has relatives there so we can stay for free. Yea. Then it's off to Monaco and I thought that as long as I'm down there we might as well slip into Italy (I realize that we can't see tho whole country). Anyway I'd like to thank all who offered their "tips". Timothy.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 04:34 AM
Joyce

From Monaco, pop over to Rapallo, Italy. A very good and reasonable (around $80) hotel there is the Miramare, right on the water, directly in front of the dock where you can catch the boat up to Portofino and Santa Margherita Ligure. I don't recommend going on up to "Fruitti-fruitti", the last stop, as there is absolutely nothing there. Rather, get off at Portofino, spend an hour or so there, then back on the boat on its return from FF. Then off at Santa Margherita, poke around as long as you want, and either get back on the same boat or catch the next one. Also from Rapallo you can go in the opposite direction to the five Cinque Terre villages. Boats depart from the same dock, but they don't start running to the Cinque Terre until June, I believe. However, it is easy to take the train down to Rio Maggiore, the farthest one, and walk or train back. Of course you can also do it by car. I would recommend probably 3 days in Rapallo. If you want more info, e-mail me. I am leaving for Holland the 21st. (By the way, I also caught your "3 weeks in 10 days.")

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Ed

A lot of territory to cover in only 10 days! <BR> <BR>For Switzerland you'll find our recommendations at http://twenj.com/swissvisit.htm <BR> <BR>If you'll have only a day or two there, http://twenj.com/swissshort.htm outlines what we think are the highlights. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>