Last-Minute Scotland Must-Do List Check

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We have initiated the one-week countdown sequence for our 12-day trip to Scotland. We've confirmed all reservations, and have compiled a fairly comprehensive list of must-do's and want-to's. Here are most of our planned sites to see, off the top of my head:

Edinburgh, 3 nights: too many to mention, including the castle, Holyrood, Scottish Museum, St. Giles, Royal Mile, wandering in Old Town & New Town, the closes, definitely a daytrip to Stirling, probably a daytrip to Roslin.

Moray, 2 nights: Elgin Cathedral, Pluscarden Abbey, Cawdor Castle, Inverness, Loch Ness, Speyside towns and whisky trail (with a tour, probably Glenfiddich), Blair Castle & Cairngorm highlands (en route). Possibly coastal fishing villages and Spynie Palace & Duffus Castle ruins as well (we're staying nearby). Maybe Brodie.

Isle of Skye, 2 nights: Trotternish penninsula & Quiraing, Kilt Rock & Staffin, Cuillin mountains, Dunvegan castle, lots of driving around.

Oban, 3 nights: Glencoe, Ben Nevis, Trossachs, Loch Katrine, Lake of Manteith, Kilmartin, Inveraray, other scenic coastal towns. Mull & Iona if there's time.

Carriden, near Bo'Ness, last night: Linlithgow, the Binns, maybe Blackness Castle.

OK, what am I crazy to have overlooked? Or, am I crazy to have left so much on my list? Or, am I just plain crazy?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I'd be VERY surprised if you can accomplish all you have listed. Just the things you have listed in Edinburgh cold take a full 2 days.

Travel in Scotland just doesn't seem to go as fast as you think it will. There's always the odd stop or photo op.

I might suggest that you think about doing the Glenlivet tour. One of the highlights of our trip was the drive thru the Glenlivet Estate via Tomintoul to the distillery. The scenery was beautiful and we saw pheasants, rabbits, deer and lots of shaggy Highland cattle. And the tour was fantastic as well.

I'd also recommend Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness. We took some fantastic photos there and the Visitor Center has a short film on the history of the castle that is very worthwhile.

I know, there's so much to see and too little time. That's why we plan to return soon!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:18 PM

My best advice is to skip the single malt samples and stay on the left side of the road. And, take some good pics for your senile parents.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:23 PM

unless you intend to actually climb the mountain see Ben nevis on the way to Oban and don't go north again.

Miss out the Trossachs unless you are doing them en route south. It's a hell of a long way ina day trip from Oban. You'll find Mull and Iona much better.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Sheila...Quite right. Both Ben Nevis and the Trossachs will be done en route between stops, as will a few of the others I listed. I'm still seriously considering Mull/Iona, but will make that a game-day decision. Thanks again for your many helpful posts through the years!

Bob...Download pix from the web, you senile old coot!

Bettyk...Thanks for the tip on the Glenlivet Estate surroundings. I like their whisky better anyway! And yes, we probably have too much planned. But I suppose it's better than scratching our heads and wondering "what next?"