last minute revised Ireland schedule

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading thru the forums - we revised our schedule - we leave tomorrow (we aren't great planners - ask you can tell). Please advise as to which schedule makes more sense -

think we are going to base ourselves as follows: does this sound better?

Day 1-Thurs: Drive from shannon airport to Killarney (long drive I know - about 2 1/2 hours right? - but then we get there and will rest up) - stay night the night in town.
Day 2 - Fri: Ring of Kerry - stay night Killarney
Day 3 - Sat: Gap of Dunloe - late afternoon - drive to Listowel - spend the night at our friends house.
Day 4,5 - Sunday,Monday: Staying in Listowel with friends - we will mostly likely go to Dingle and explore during this time - kind of open
Day 6 - Tues - Leave for Cliffs of Moher, Burren and spend the night in Doolin
Day 7 - Wed - Doolin to Galway - spend the night in Galway
Day 8,9 - Thurs-Fri - Clifden and Connerma mts
Day 10 Sat- Drive thru Cong on our way back down to Ennis for the night
Day 11 Sunday- Leave Shannon at noon.

OPTION #2 -

The another option would be to stay and base ourselves with our friends in Listowel for the entire time (day 1-5) in Kerry county and drive to the ROK and dunloe from there each day. This would make it a shorter drive from the airport on day 1, but would be a longer drive to the ring of kerry area for two days from listowel. The route planner says it is about an hour and 15 minutes drive from Listowel to ring of kerry - is this the case?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM

How about Option #3: don't do the Ring. Settle for Killarney-Kenmare, which is the best part of it.

To my taste, Listowel is a more pleasant town than Killarney, and is certainly more authentically Irish in that it is not particularly focused on tourism.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I don't think you will make it from Listowel to Killarney in 1:15. Route planners are notoriously conservative especially for folks inexperienced in driving in unusual conditions (left hand side of the road, other side of the car, narrow roads, etc). I agree completely with Padraig that you may have a more "authentic" experience by staying in Listowel the whole time. You might also have a more complicated time also. Consider perhaps your 1st night in Listowel, then a couple of nights in Kenmare or Killorglin.

Another option to the Ring of Kerry is the drive over Ballaghbeama Pass in the center of the ring. It heads north from about halfway between Sneem and Molls Gap and it's a drive few take, but it is truly an unknown treat (shhh, don't tell anyone).

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Hey mn! We'll be in Doolin on Tues-Thur. We plan to take the ferry to the Aran Islands one day - will have a 3 day window in case of bad weather.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM

mn to shannon= Please post a trip report when you get back !! I am going in May and anxious to find out how your trip was and your favorite things!! aprilmay
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM

mn to ireland..I'll be in Ireland the same exact days as you....arr. into Shannon on Thur. am and leaving Shannon on following Sunday.....I have a differerent itin. though...have a great trip!!
Shadow
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Bunratty might be a better option than Ennis for you last night - either way, enjoy your trip.