Last minute reminders?

May 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Last minute reminders?

Leaving Saturday morning for 12 days in Italy, just DH and I. I think I've got everything taken care of, but am just worried about any overlooked details.

Is there something you would/could have done last minute that you wished someone had told you about?
May 24th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Bugs and drugs: I always travel with: a blister pack of immodium tablets, a blister pack of cold medicine (and some wonderful sore throat lozenges called Dequacaine, which you can only buy in the UK), a small bottle of ibuprofen, a blister pack of antihistamine tablets, a small package of Compeed/Bandaid blister bandages, for trips in spring, and summer or fall mosquito-repellent wipes in sealed packets (also acquired in the UK). Of course they sell these things in most places I visit, but sometimes you can't get to a pharmacy right away, so I try to have a day's supply of the relevant "what-if" drugs at hand.
May 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Throw out anything in the fridge that won't survive the duration of your trip; be sure to flush out your garbage disposal; and unplug your toaster, toaster oven and/or coffee pot before leaving the house.
May 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Ha! I've been posting all morning about how great the iJourneys.com iPod walking tours are. You don't drag around a guidebook -- you just listen. My husband and I have taken almost all their walking tours in Italy -- they have them for all the major cities.

They're cool and fun and easy and give good food tips as well as history, etc.
We especially loved the coliseum and forum with our nieces.

Check them out. You can download them and have them on your MP3 player and ready to go for Rome, Florence,
Venice, Pompeii, etc.

and first thing to do when you arrive --hit the cafe with the best view of Pantheon, San Marco or Signoria (i don't know which big city you're starting in) and splurge on a morning Capuccino and soak in the people, the sun, the monumental beauty!
May 25th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

I just got my electrical converter and some on plane/in transit snacks.

Our international flight leaves from Newark. How many Euro should we get to get us from the plane in Milan to the train to Venice?