Search

Last minute-Questions for everyone!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute-Questions for everyone!

Hi,
Leaving on Tuesday for Florence, Rome & Sorrento, I've gotten alot of great advice and tips but have last minute questions..(of course)

Flying into Milan then changing for flight to Florence, any tips or things I should be aware of.

Are taking cabs very expensive if the feet give out! LOL

Safe to walk around at night by most of the tourist sights in Florence and Rome?

I have a map of Rome and Florence, its pretty big, any good map suggestions for the cities that have english and you can actually read the print? Should I get them there?

Any do's and don'ts to be aware of?
Have the ATM & credit card, passport etc...

Small out of the way restaurant suggestions?
I greatly appreciate all your help.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Cabs are inexpensive in Rome so I would recommend taking them on occasion to save painful feet. The center of Florence is very small so I'm not sure you'd need a cab. Of course we don't know where your hotels are. If they are central then cab in Rome, if needed but you probably wouldn't need to in Florence.

I felt the tourist areas were safe but you have to determine that based on your hotel locations. If your hotels are out of the way you might want to use cabs later in the evening. Safety is more important than saving a few Euros.

I use Streetwise maps that are tri-fold laminated so they're easy to manage. I can read them w/o my reading glasses although the print is not large. They also have the major sites marked.

Not sure what you mean by English? Maps are maps. You wouldn't want a map that changes the street names from Italian to an Anglo version of the name. You'd never find your way around. Yes - buy a map here before you leave so you can mark the things you want to see. I use post it flags so I can immediately see where sites are located.

There are plenty of restaurant suggions here if your put Rome and Florence restaurants in the search box.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Hi Donna, why do you want a map in English when you will be using it in Italy? You want a map in the Italian language. Some hotels offer maps to their guest that are made of paper so they are easy to fold and put in your purse.

Safety is like anywhere in the world. Just pay attention to your surrondings and if you feel uncomfortable leave the area.

And have a wonderful time in beautiful Italy!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM

More Roman cab info.

If a cab stops for you they have to take you to your destination even if it's only a couple of minutes away. I think the meters start at with a couple of Euro on them already.

Make sure the meter is reset when you start out.

Take a business card from your hotel or print a map of the hotel and immediate area before you leave home to show to cabbies.

Make sure you get the correct change (last time most cabbies did not give back Euro cents but rounded up to the next highest Euro which was fine since I deducted that from the tip). I've had several cab drivers try to cheat me so be careful about the money.

You can hail cabs in Rome or you can find them at the major sites.

If you need to call a cab while you're out, Radio cab always has a dispatcher who speaks English. They have their stickers plastered over every public phone box.

I never took a cab in Florence or Sorrento since the tourist areas are so small.

In Sorrento you buy bus tickets at bars. You need two tickets for a round trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM

I have had one bad experience with a taxi in Rome. 25 euro from Termini to Piazza Navona! That is a route that can be troublesome for over charging.

I've taken many cabs around Florence (up hill, usually) or the airport or train station. Florence taxis are moderately priced and honest. It's a good taxi city if you need one.

An out of the way, not expensive restaurant we like a lot in Florence is Pallotino, near Vivoli gelataria.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM
jgg

I second the suggestion for a Streetwise map. They are excellent and easy to carry around and not too big. You should be able to find them for Rome and Florence and Barnes & Noble or other large bookstore.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

What was I thinking "map in English", sorry about that.
Trying to get everything done, stressing about what to bring to wear and what not to forget.
I'll go get the streetwise maps today.. Thanks...
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Notify your bank and credit cards.