Last minute Normandy questions

May 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Last minute Normandy questions

Leaving Tuesday. Have some questions on spending my time between the one night at Honfleur and two nights at Bayeaux.

Have always found the Pegasus Bridge story fascinating. However, it looks like a heavily populated, high traffic area around there. If I'm not going to the actual museum, and realize the original bridge has been replaced, are there things to see outside at that location?

Obviously the following day I plan to see Omaha Beach, the American cemeterary, Pointe du Hoc, etc. Next morning, the tapestry.
I do want to see Beuvron-en-Auge on the way from Honfleur to Bayeux (which I can't seem to spell). This may be enough of a detour.

Second question: If I drive the coast from Deauville to Honfleur, will I be missing the best part of the old houses by not going from Deauville to Cabourg?
May 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM

I would trade time at Pegasus Bridge for a stop at Arromanches on your Omaha Beach day.

You don't have the Peace Museum in Caen on your list which is unfortunate; however, you have a lot to see in two days. If Beuvron-en-Auge is a must-see, then I would skip the coast between Honfleur and Cabourg but add Lisieux (cheese and cider market on Saturdays). You'll see many half-timbered buildings in Lisieux, Beuvron-en-Auge and the towns between. On the next day, I'd concentrate on D-Day sights and see the Tapestry if there's time at the end of the day.
May 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM

don't know how you have these time-lined out but seeing the American Cenetery either first thing in the morning or last in the day is awesome. You might be interested in seeing the British and German cemeteries as well for a point of reference and comparison - all are touching and poignant in their own ways. You'll also be somewhat near the longues batteries. We spent a day and a half doing the D-Day sites then drove to Utah Beach, St Lo and St Mere Eglise on our own another day.
May 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM

The Merville Battery is not far away from Pegasus Bridge. I last visited there in 1999, and it was rather home-ly at that time. I quite enjoyed it. It looks like it's "gone pro" and I imagine it's even more interesting now. (I was surprised to find this link actually, they've really put some money into it).

http://www.batterie-merville.com/themuseum_uk.asp

The Mulberries at Arromanches were really interesting too, as was the museum there.
May 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM

www.memorial-caen.fr
May 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I originally had Lisieux on my list, then it looked like I had lots of driving planned.

I think Arrowmanches is on my list. However, we had both watched about an hour show on the museum at Caen and decided 'no'.

Yes, if there was time I did also want to see German and British cemeteries. I have a note they play taps at sundown at Colleville also.
May 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM

if you visit Beuvron-en-Auge, try to dine at LE PAVE D'AUGE. Taste the farm calvados
May 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM

Nest to Deaville stop at Trouville at the Brasserie Les Vapeurs for the best Moules I have tasted.
May 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM

Another vote for Le Pave d'Auge; we ran across it by chance in May of 2005 and enjoyed a great lunch there. It was only when I returned home and saw it in guide books that I realized that we had hit upon a well-known restaurant.

Hi, Cigale; how are you?
May 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM

Hi grandmere, it's seems a long time since we had comunication.

Hopingtotravel, If he is still there, nearby that restaurant is Pascal of Beuvron, a santon maker. I bought a rooster and hedgehog, and framed his poster he gave me.
May 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimi and Grandmere. That might make a good lunch stop on our way, if they are open.

Grandmere, I rememeber your 2005 trip when you had rain, and we got to warm a couple of days in Provence. From looking at the Paris weather in my daily paper, it looks like I may get to experience the rain!

However, we had a record 2' of snow one day last week, so...... Well, actually at our house it was 13", the 2' was some parts of Anchorage.