Last minute London help

Nov 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Last minute London help

I will be in London from the night of 11/27 to the morning of 11/29 with my 9 year old daughter. In an earlier post I received great advice about where to stay. As I've been planning our trip, I've been most interested in the Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey thinking we could manage that in one day along with seeing some Christmas lights/windows. Now, my mind is drifting to Windsor Castle and thinking how much my daughter would probably love the Doll House Exhibit. So, now I'm wondering if we should stay in Windsor (we arrive Friday night at 9:00 p.m.), see the Castle Saturday morning, go into London for the afternoon/early evening to see the Christmas Lights/windows, perhaps one site and then back to Windsor for the night. On the back end of our trip (staying 2 weeks outside of Zurich in between) we'll be in Paris for one week so we'll have time there for museums etc. Thoughts/advice/hotels suggestions if think Windsor is a good choice? Many thanks.
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM

i dont know how to help coz havent noght for Windsor.
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM

In one day you couldn't have seen the Tower, St Paul's and Westminster Abbey really. The Tower first thing in the AM until at least 1PM, lunch -- then you'd have time for EITHER St Paul's or the Abbey.

So you are weighing Windsor vs 2 (not 3) major central London sites sites

Windsor is wonderful - but I wouldn't go there mainly for the Doll's house. It is fascinating - but is really only about a 10 or 15 minute attraction.

If it was me (though not really fair since I've been to each of those sites between 10 and 15 times) I'd stay in London and see things in the city. If you had one extra day, THEN I'd say go to Windsor (but would really recommend Hampton Court Palace instead)

I'd keep to your original plan - The Tower, a nice lunch maybe along the Southbank, then either walk across the river to St Pauls, or head to Westminster Abbey followed by Christmas lights and "stuff".
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Ice skating at Somerset House, among other places of interest.

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/...ature-335.html
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

janisj -
Thanks for your input - I appreciate the advice. With such a short time (it's really a layover not a real visit!) it's hard to rule out things especially since I feel I need to think like a 9 year old! I agree about Hampton Court Palace - that's near the top for our next visit.

lincasanova - Thanks for the ice skating link - this may be the perfect way to end our visit to the Tower - playgrounds in the summer, ice skating rinks in the winter!

Search this Thread