Last-Minute Help on Southern Dalmatia Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had originally planned to spend two weeks in Croatia in August, but unfortunately have just had our time in Croatia reduced to a week. Given that, we are scrambling to put together an itinerary that makes sense in that relatively short amount of time to get a taste of Croatia (from reading the enthusiasm all of the postings, we have a feeling a week will only tempt us to come back again!).

Eurotraveller and others who have been to Croatia -- we'd love some help putting together the best plan for a week.

We fly into Dubrovnik late afternoon and have booked three nights at the Villa Argentina in Dubrovnik. Otherwise, we have no reservations yet made and need to do that ASAP. We have six nights total -- on the seventh night we take a ferry from Split to Ancona.

Our current thought is to spend a couple of days in/near Dubrovnik and to take a day-trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik. If that sounds like it makes sense, we are left with three nights and three + days (since the ferry is an overnight we have all day before it leaves) to explore between Dubrovnik and Split. We would be so grateful for suggestions and for hotel ideas -- should we just stay on the mainland, or do we have time to get out to an island for a day? We will have a car -- is taking the ferry to islands with a car too complicated? What are the most charming towns between Dubrovnik and Split? If we are taking the ferry from Split, do we need to stay there (is it nice?) or are we better off elsewhere and then exploring Split all day before our night ferry?

Any/all input would be most appreciated -- many many thanks in advance!!

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

topping for quick response - thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Can you stretch out your stay in Dubrovnik one more night? I'd recommend Montenegro rather than Mostar. Check out the Atlas trip. I can't commment on towns between Dubrovnik and Split. You will love the Argentina.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:42 AM

You're lucky to have a car.

I think three days in Dubrovnik is enough. From there, I would just start driving north towards Split. It's quite a nice drive.

If you really want to detour towards Mostar, then do it. Montenegro is the wrong direction, and you don't have that much time to really enjoy it.

On the bus ride to Split, we saw many cute little coastal villages between Makarska and Split that were just begging for an overnight stop. You might not find "Villa Argentina" style lodging, but there are plenty of private rooms "SOBE" just waiting for you. That will change in a few years.

Plan to arrive at Split harbor around three in the afternoon of your departure, without your car. I don't recall if Jadrolinja will check your bags in early, but in any case you can check your baggage in at the bus station baggage counter which is adjacent to the ferry terminal. With that done, you can then spend the afternoon roaming and shopping through Diocletian's Palace, which is a short walk from the terminal and is the highlight of a visit to Split anyway. You can eat dinner at one of the harbor cafes while you watch them load your ferryboat for the evening departure.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Makarska iviera between Dubrovnik and Split is indeed beautiful. There are several small nice villages like Baska voda, Brela, Zivogosce etc and Makarska town as the center. The region has a beautifil setting under impressive Biokovo mountain and some of the most beautiful beaches in Croatia especially those in Brela which recently have been selected by The Forbes as 20 the best beaches in the World for 2004.
http://www.forbes.com/travel/2004/05..._0513feat.html
From Makarska you can take a day trip to one of the islands, Brac being the closest one and worth a visit.

http://www.makarska.hr
http://www.brela.hr
http://www.bol.hr (on the island of Brac)

You can spend two days in Makarska, exploring other villages and take a day trip to Brac. I believe some travel agents in Makarska offer organized day trips to Brac but if you prefer to go by car you can take a ferry.
Third night (two days if I understood you well) save for Split and take a trip to Trogir which is only 30 minutes by bus or 20 minutes by car from Split.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:52 PM

That should have been Makarska Riviera, sorry.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Jonas,

Love your enthusiasm for Trogir, but they only have three days. The Makarska region, as you fleshed out, will easily consume three days.

As I said: Use Jonas' suggestions, spend your departing afternoon in Split harbor and you'll get the most out of your trip.

(Frankly, I would limit Dubrovnik to two days so I could spend more time on the road to Split!)
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:16 PM

WinterTravel, each individual has a different experience while traveling through a country, which is half the beauty of it, but it can make things confusing if you are trying to make a decision based on others experience.

That said, let me try to confuse you a little more! IMHO, I would fly into Dubrovnik and settle into your hotel. Near your hotel is a wonderful restaurant/bar called East/West right on the beach with an amazing view. This might be a nice way to relax if you are jet lagged. If you have enough energy after dinner, you could walk along the inside of the wall until you find the sign "COLD DRINKS" which leads you to one of the most wonderful, relaxing bars I have ever visited. Put your feet up and watch the moon sparkle off the water.

The next day walk the wall early in the morning before it gets too hot. This can be done quickly but it is nice just to stroll around it and take in the scenery. Visit the War Photos museum in the heat of the afternoon. It is well worth seeing.

When we were deciding on which tour to take a couple of the ladies at Atlas recommended Mostar over Montenegro. It depends on whether you are interested in coastal towns and mountains or the history in Mostar. I thought the tour of Mostar was fascinating and the drive was very beautiful.

If you are only staying for three nights. you could just drive up the coast and find a nice little coastal village to relax for a couple of days. If you spend a 4th night in Dubrovnik, which I would recommend, you could visit one of the many islands near Dubrovnik as a day trip.

Since you have read my posts and seen my photos you know that I loved Trogir. It is located about 30 minutes north of Split and it is just lovely!

You don't need to stay in Split for the night and I wouldn't recommend it, however, Diocletian's Palace is well worth an afternoon of exploring.

The ferry to Ancona is very comfortable. I would recommend reserving a sleeper well in advance in August. Many Italians visit Croatia during the summer months and the ferry's book up.

What is your plan when you reach Ancona?

BTW, I could have spent another week in Dubrovnik taking day trips. I would recommend not spreading yourself to thin. I would almost bet money that you will want to return to Croatia when you have more time!

Cheers!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay in thanking all of you for your input -- have not had internet access for a bit. We cannot thank you enough for the help!

Taking your advice, we have booked our last night in Trogir and will then head to Split to spend a few hours before our ferry to Ancona. That leaves only two nights in between Dubrovnik and Trogir to book and then we can relax with the planning behind us. Specific hotel recommendations for that stretch would be most appreciated. Or any thoughts on whether we ought to ferry out to an island (Korcula?) for those nights instead? Thanks again for all the help!