Reload this Page >

Last minute advise!!

Search

Last minute advise!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 05:55 PM
Denise

Last minute advise!!

Much thanks to Lee, Wes,Bob, Lori.and all the wonderful people I've "met"on this forum. We are leaving next Fri. 10/15 and will spend our first night on the Rhine. I hope the weather is comfortable and we'll manage to keep our wits, if we get lost. <BR> <BR> We are spending 2 nights on the Rhine <BR> Three nights in Rothenburg <BR> Four nights in Phronten <BR> Four nights in Wolfgansee <BR> Last night outside Munich in Erding <BR> <BR> The idea was to enjoy the country, relax, <BR>sightsee, and try to absorb the culture and <BR>feeling of the people and area. I hope we <BR>can contribute some info on our return. I promise to let you know what I liked and disliked when we return. Till then! Denise

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 06:03 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Denise, Here is your asked for advise: <BR> <BR>BOB'S BLURBS:GOOD STUFF FOR EUROPEAN TRAVEL <BR>MONEY MATTERS: Use your credit card for everything. It gives you a record later, <BR> and offers the best exchange, based on the current bank rates. <BR> Get your daily cash at the local ATM machine--they are everywhere. <BR> Make sure your card has the CIRRUS or PLUS network, and use a 4 <BR> digit numeric PIN code. The menus will give you an English option. <BR> Take a small amount in TRAVELERS CHECKS as back-up only. <BR> <BR>CARS & DRIVERS: Try to get your rental car in Germany, France or Switzerland. The <BR> prices in Italy are very high, but be aware of drop-off charges if you <BR> do not return it to the same country. Best prices are for compact cars <BR> with manual transmission. Do not assume your credit card will cover <BR> the CDW insurance. It may, but check it out for the specific country. <BR> Stay out of the left lane unless passing. The big boys may be driving <BR> 120 MPH behind you and will run you down. Use your turn blinkers. <BR> Most of Europe has good signage on the highways. Learn to trust <BR> the signs that say " TO SIENA", the road numbers may confuse you. <BR> <BR>PACKING: The rule is; "you can only pack what YOU can tote for 2 blocks". <BR> Plan to take only 2 bags. A major one with wheels that you will <BR> check on the plane, and a carry-on that should hold the KEY items <BR> that you MUST have with you. Assume you have to live from it for <BR> two days---medicines, toiletries, travel documents, camera, etc. <BR> Also pack a canvas tote bag to hold the goodies you buy in Europe. <BR> Bring your own wash cloths, and some liquid soap. <BR> <BR>HOW TO DRESS: Europeans dress less casually than most Americans. Do not dress <BR> to stand out as a tourist. Plan your outfits around basic colors, and <BR> do not be afraid to wear the same outfit for 3 days[not underwear]. <BR> Do not try to make a fashion statement---pack for practicality. <BR> Pack like items[socks, underwear] in seperate plastic bags for easy <BR> access. Carry a laundry bag----it will tend to grow as you travel. <BR> Your most important items will be a GOOD pair of walking shoes, <BR> a rain coat, a hat for bad hair days, and a secure fanny pack. <BR> <BR>TRAVEL TOOLS: Your most valuable asset is a good map. I like the Michelin 400 <BR> series for the primary area of your trip. A good guide book is a must. <BR> The Michelin Green book is great to carry as you travel, but you may <BR> also want a more comprehensive one for background before the trip. <BR> Be sure to take these basic travel tools---you will probably need them: <BR> * swiss army knife/corkscrew * currency calculator <BR> * adaptor plugs/round outlets * extra camera battery <BR> * copies of travel documents * extra reading glasses <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 06:52 PM
Denise

Thanks Bob, your Blurbs....Good Stuff for European Travel....Would make a great pocket book...suggestion...add some simple european phrases in several languages...eg. good day, Thank you, Please, How Much, Where is the restroom? and How can I get home made moose tracks ice cream in this country? <BR>Only kidding on the last!Thanks again,Denise

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 02:54 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The " blurbs" bit is one of my passouts <BR>I give to my clients. I used to have <BR>some vocab on it but ran out of room. <BR>Buon viaggio !

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 08:23 PM
anna

Bob, is there such a thing as a secure fanny pack? I thought the concensus on this forum was that fanny packs label you as an American tourist/easy mark.