Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

lascaux and font du gaume or pech merle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, my family and I are driving through the Dordogne in May to visit my sister in law in Toulouse, and I'd like some advice on caves. For the itinerary to make sense, I think I could see both Lascaux II and Font Du Gaume, or because it is more out of the way, Pech Merle, but not all three. Driving-wise Pech Merle doesn't make as much sense, but I like the idea of seeing the stalactites, etc. as well as the cave paintings. We would be driving down from Chartres through Limoges, to one set of the caves, spend the night close to whichever cave, then drive through Sarlat, do a short canoe trip, and then down to Toulouse. I only have 2 days from Chartres to Toulouse, but don't have to get to Toulouse until evening. Which set of caves would you pick and why?

thanks, Ming
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi ming,

i had to remind myself which was which, but after that it was no contest - pech-merle was by far the more impressive and atmpspheric of the two. definitely the one to go to, along with Lascaux of course.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Lascaux is an amazing reproduction of an amazing original. It is considered the best of the Dordogne caves.

With Lascaux I would do Rouffignac because it is so different from any of the other caves. The monochrome paintings are 1 km. inside the cave. The downside is that most of the time the guided tours are in French and no English tours are scheduled.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Is Pech Merle worth 2 extra hours of driving? thanks, Ming
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM

>>Is Pech Merle worth 2 extra hours of driving? thanks, Ming<<

What route do you plan to take to Toulouse?? The A20 freeway goes very close to Pech Merle.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi Stu, your post is helpful. I wanted to see Sarlat, and canoe at Vitrac, but when I put in Pech Merle after Vitrac, it was only an extra hour, not 2 as when I had put things in in a different order. So maybe Pech Merle is doable. thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Go to the orginal caves NOW. Font Du Guame is amazing and you will be warned not to touch the walls of the cave but in some places it is so narrow it is hard not to. This will be closed off to tourists in the future as we are causing pollution just from breathing (and touching). Lascaux is a manmade reproduction- aka- Disney- as the real thing caves areoff limits to visitors- so you can visit here anytime in the future. Go see Pech Merle for the same reason of authenticity. It is amazing history, thousands of years old, and will be not accessible in another generation as historians try to preserve the original artwork. This is the beginning of communication and expression of thoughts and ideas, not just another site to see. Go there to experience our human-ness and why art is essential to educaion in our schools!!!!! there are a few more obscure caves in the area and if you are truly interested in the history and beauty of the cave art spend more time exploring this area. If you are just touring through go to Lascaux II and be done with it. I guarantee, the real thing will change your life.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Peche-Merle is NOT one hour from Vitrac. Besides, if you want to see stalactites and stalagmites, as well as chromatic caves, they are all over the Vézère Valley, at Proumeyssac, for example, so you needn't go more than a half-hour from Font-de-Gaume to get there.

I still don't understand why you're doing all that driving to see so little of so few places.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

What I meant was when I put the itinerary in Via Michelin from Vitrac to Pech Merle to Toulouse, it only adds an hour than if I went straight from Vitrac to Toulouse. But do you think Pech Merle's not worth the extra driving? thanks, Ming
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 06:36 AM
ira

Hi M,

>I wanted to see Sarlat, and canoe at Vitrac,.....<

I would strongly urge you to definitely skip the canoing, possibly skip Sarlat and visit Pech Merle.

www.viamichelin.com says that including PM adds about 0.35 hr to your drive.

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM

PatD, I read somewhere that Lascaux II may also be r limitedin the future--because it too is becoming a "victim"of the same problems that affected the original. It was done using the same pigments, etc--so is vulnerable to the same problems. Has anyone else heard this?

Mingwei, I am reading "The Caves of Perigord" per a rec on Fodors. Wonderful historical novel, highly recommended before your trip.