Large family-What region?

Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Large family-What region?

Our parents are taking three grown children and their families to Italy in the summer of 2004. We will be 8 adults + a 12, 8 and two 1 year olds. 12 total. We have all traveled extensively so don't worry about the kids-they are going. We are renting a villa with a cook and several rental cars. The question is this...which region is best. Many say Tuscany, however we would not mind being near or overlooking the water somewhere, either on the coast or on a lake. Beach is not that important. We have done quite a bit of research and it has become difficult deciding which region. I think we will have a blast anywhere, but we would like to maximize our opportunities. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:36 PM

You pick
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Francofile,
Thanks for your wonderful advice. That really helps us narrow our decision.
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:31 AM

I would check outs Lakes Como and Garda.

We spent a couple of days on Garda this Spring but I can't say a lot about it except that it seems clean and there are a lot of ferries plying the waters.

There is, "Gardaland," at the Southern end and the adults and the 12 and 8 year-olds would really enjoy a day there. Super park along the lines of Disneyland but with an Italian dash of sweetness and fun.
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:38 AM

wilmanec, if it were me (don't I wish!)I'd try to get a villa (with a pool!!!) as close as possible to Lucca or Siena, or close to a smaller town nearby - walking distance, so you can buy fresh bread or go to a cafe. You can take many terrific day trips from there.
My second choice would be near Lake Trasimeno. Try to establish your ideal day trips: do you want to drive to Florence and Pisa for the art & architecture or to the beach for fun & sun? Or both? (choose Lucca in that case!) Or do you not care about art too much...in which case the Lago Maggiore or Como area would be great, if crowded.
Aug 24th, 2003, 07:49 AM

A couple of ideas...

My first pick, as always, would be the Amalfi Coast, simply because of it's incredible beauty, and the ease of wonderful daytrips to Pompeii, Capri, Naples, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, etc. about them. I know that there are previous posts on villa rentals, for instance, in Sorrento. Traffic and parking, however, in the summer months is torturous. You'd have to rely mostly on trains and boats to get between destinations, and schedule anything by car for off-hours.

Another region that I've not been to, but am currently researching, is the Cilento region, which is roughly two hours south of Positano. It's supposed to be less touristy, have wonderful food, good beaches, and it's close to Paestum.

The last thing I wanted to mention, is that I've been in touch with a travel agent mentioned in T&L, who specializes in Italy. Her company seems to manage quite a few villas in nearly every region, as well as organizing trips according to individual interests. If you'd like her name and phone, just post again.

Good luck, and have a wonderful time!

Aug 24th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

If you could pass on that travel agent's information, Weadels, I would appreciate it. Is boating and swimming on the Lakes readily available? Thanks.
Aug 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM

Wilmanec,

The woman's name is Andrea, and she can be reached at: Selectitaly.com

She was mentioned in this month's T&L, along with a couple of other agents who specialize in Italy. You might want to check out the magazine for more ideas.

Good luck, and let me know what you find!

Aug 26th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any good suggestions then we would love to hear them.

Search this Thread