Laptop

Feb 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Laptop

Has anyone had any problems with laptops while traveling in UK or Ireland? A friend of mine that was over for a 3-week university seminar was advised to not bring her laptop with her, isn't that odd?

Did you have problems with power; did you carry it with you always or leave it in the truck of the car? Any tips would be appreciated!
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Unless you really need a computer for your work do not haul it around.

For email or fodors.com use an internet cafe.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:05 AM
ira

Hi mouse,

Are you going on business? If not don't bring it.

If yes,
You will have problems with connecting to the internet.

Make sure your power transformer is dual voltage.

For more expert info, try a search on the subject on www.google.com.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I never travel, on business or pleasure, without my notebook.

The problem is not operational, I travel every month to the UK and about 4 times a year to Ireland. All you need is an adapter plug (all notebooks come with a duel power supply). I have only very rarely, in the past six years, had any problems connecting to the internet (in Italy or France in hotels where the phone cable is hard-wired to the wall socket) but never in Ireand.

The only thing I can think of is that they were warning her it might be stolen - NEVER leave anything in the car in Dublin. Actually, never let the notebook out of your sight.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Without knowing why your friend was advised not to bring her laptop, it's impossible to answer your question.

All laptops these days are relatively easy to adapt between countries (though never as easy as geeks pretend). YOur manual will explain about power: Network Connections will normally have most of the information you need about phone compatibility. US-to-UK phone jacks are at any UK electrical shop.

If all you want to do is send emails or browse the web, libraries and internet cafes are almost universal in Europe (though there are surprising places, like Visby in Sweden, or Liverpool, where they're tough to find).

If you want to work with your laptop, or upload files, public machines aren't right and you obviously need your own machine.

In any foreign country, accessing the web from your laptop can be expensive, as many of the choices (AOL-style premiums, setting up a contract with a local ISP, paying for a contract with a WiFi provider or dialling your home ISP) can all be costly - though not if you're at a university seminar, as you should usually be able to get into the university system as part of your seminar arrangements.

In the UK, the answer to this is to use a local ISP like tesco.net or freeserve.com on a pay-as-you-go basis. The cost (normally 1p per minute) is charged to the phone you're calling from

Personally, I don't see the point of travelling - in Britain or abroad - without a laptop. Laptops are valuable, so you need to take precautions. But you wouldn't leave your wallet on the back seat of a car either,would you?

Unless the university meant that a laptop would be provided, the advice was just dumb.

But then whoever expected intelligence from academics?
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:38 AM

mouseonthemove,

I've traveled Ireland twice with laptop and digital cam in tow for my web site... and have since learned to leave it at home.

No problems with power, just take a good adapter/converter and you'll be okay.

The idea of schlepping it all over for a few minutes at night to type is a pain. Uploading via an Internet cafe was ok but I could have easily spent my time there typing and uploading at the same time.

If you absolutely do not need it, leave it at home.

Cheers,
Christopher
http://www.EnchantingIreland.com
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:44 AM
rex

I would not think about attending a 3-week seminar without my laptop. but I would not count on using it for internet communications. too many other less stressful, easier options will surely exist. It CAN be handy to have a diskette to move files back and forth between your laptop and any other internet-connected computer (university or cybercafe, for exaample).

There are still abundant reasons for those of us who believe in "e-life" to want to have their computer with them. It especially makes sense for off-loading/storage back-up of your digital camera.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I bought my laptop in the US and live in the UK. I have no trouble. The vast majority of power cords are dual-voltage (unless the laptop is very old). An adapter costs $5, and it's about the same for a phone jack. As for internet connection, check with your US internet provider for an overseas access number. If that doesn't work, you can find those free trial disks everywhere (particularly at Internet cafe). Just use those to connect while overseas.