Languedoc and area in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Languedoc-Roussillon in from about Oct 14ish until the end of the month, likely arriving and departing from Toulouse.Never been to this area of France before but my reading has lead me to believe it is quite lovely.

We would like to find about three or four spots to spend four or five days in each, with the ability to take day trips, that likely wouldn’t be too far but still add to the interest of the area.

We like smaller towns and “quaint villages” and interesting spots for walking, and dining.

We don’t have to be within a certain distance of Toulouse; but probably not more than two or three hours away in terms of whatever town we would start in.

Initially I was thinking about Albi as a stop, but many people seem to refer to it as just a day trip away from Toulouse. I thought it looked just lovely, but we would like to find a location where we could stay for a few days and not always have to feel like we need to make a field trip somewhere else to find activities.

Carcassonne appeals, and there seems to be enough activities and dining etc that it would make for a nice multi day stop. My only question is that I have been reading it tends to be a place that is quite overrun with tourists during the day. Don’t know if mid October, that would still be the case?

The other spot that I thought was beautiful was Coullioure. My main concern about this spot is as a beach town, will restaurants etc be “shut down“ in October?

My husband and I are in our mid 60s and are fairly active but also not averse to afternoon siestas. Open to suggestions for any other spots to situate ourselves for a few days. We will have a car. Recommendations of particular accommodation would also be most welcome.

Thankyou!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 05:52 PM

Albi is a lovely place and there are lots of interesting villages you could visit from there. Places such as Cordes sur Ciel, Najac, St Antonin Noble Val, Castelnau Montmirail, Penne, Puycelsci, Bruniquel to name just a few. It would be easy to spend a few days there.

You could consider Narbonne which has a wonderful cathedral and from there you could go down to the coast and also to nearby Abbaye de Fontfroide. We actually visited these from our base near Carcassonne and also went up to Minerve and St Chinian, and to nearby Caunes Minervois.
This is my report on our week there. Scroll through to the Aude section. It was towards the end of our trip. We did not go into Carcassonne as it was only a week after the devastating floods.
Our autumn tour of country France

Bon voyage

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 06:01 PM

Don’t dismiss Albi and the Tarn valley. It is a lovely area. Wish I had lingered more than a day in Albi myself: check the tourist office web site.
https://www.albi-tourisme.fr/en/discover-albi/

If you are at all sporty, a bike ride or canoe outing along the Tarn River is pretty. There are several “plus beaux villages de France” within half an hour to an hour’s drive, most especially Cordes-sur-Ciel. But also Lautrec, Monesties, Najac.

Cordes-sur-Ciel is where we stayed at the lovely Maison au Puits, but that was for a multi-day festival. Not sure the town would hold you longer otherwise.

i have heard that an evening and a morning in Carcassonne make it much more attractive than just a day trip; not sure I would give it four nights, unless you were also planning to venture out to some of the Cathar castles.

Venturing further north you’d have the gorgeous cliffs along the Lot river and the prehistoric art in Pech-Merle cave. Stay in Cahors?

Further south into Languedoc proper, sure, why not Collioure?

We really enjoyed Ariège though things might be cooler and winding down in that area. Tarascon-sur-Ariège is pretty, with good restaurants, and more prehistoric cave art in the Grotte de Niaux, Montségur and Roquefixade castles are not too too challenging to climb up to. You could check to see if there are any “transhumance “ events in the Pyrenees with the sheep coming down from their summer pastures.

ha, turns out I was writing at the same time as phirhon. Forgive duplication!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 08:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
You might find the Languedoc portion of my TR helpful TRIP REPORT : THE Auvergne and Languedoc, June 2022